• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Obd2 tune.. chime in guys

Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
So I been flashing my vehicles for many years now... I’ve worked for many race teams and over the years I’ve been around I’ve seen some cool stuff... if you dig around I had the first fiat abarth obd2 tuned in the us.. here’s my complaint... TUNERS CHIME IN... I got linked up with the guys a Cobb while working on Porsche’s... they were able to make the write counter not go up when flashed so my customers could never fear when going to the dealer... porsche motors are ungodly expensive so we sold tunes left and right because of this... if the obd2 tuners could just do this they would sell triple the amount... sorry to rant but this is the only thing holding me back...

Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
Yea they make us buy an ecu... not down with that. If they can crack the ecu to tune it they should be able to make the write counter not change. Just takes little more effort

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Back in the day, a reputable tuning company figured out just that.. how to make the ECU read like it was never touched when the manufacturer pulled that data. However, it was unethical as it was skirting controls that they later removed that ability from the software.

Anyone that tunes their truck needs to be well aware that your warranty is in jeopardy, no matter what the tuning company is telling you.

Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
Yeah I get it if I tune it I’m at a huge risk of being denied warranty claims. With the write counter not being touched you would have a much better chance

SofaKingTuned

Dec 31, 2018
Truck Year
So I been flashing my vehicles for many years now... I’ve worked for many race teams and over the years I’ve been around I’ve seen some cool stuff... if you dig around I had the first fiat abarth obd2 tuned in the us.. here’s my complaint... TUNERS CHIME IN... I got linked up with the guys a Cobb while working on Porsche’s... they were able to make the write counter not go up when flashed so my customers could never fear when going to the dealer... porsche motors are ungodly expensive so we sold tunes left and right because of this... if the obd2 tuners could just do this they would sell triple the amount... sorry to rant but this is the only thing holding me back...
Our tunes do NOT increase the count. It's been like this since day one. The only ones out there claiming otherwise do NOT have our tunes, what's that tell you....

Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
Per the email I had sent I thought we covered that hence my posting on here. So if i buy an obd2 tune the dealer won’t see the write count has gone up ?

John

Nov 13, 2015
I'm pretty sure there's no way not to have a count if you do the flash via the OBD port. I guess it's possible to delete the count if you send the ECM in and have it altered in some way after the OBD flash has been installed.

Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
I'm pretty sure there's no way not to have a count if you do the flash via the OBD port. I guess it's possible to delete the count if you send the ECM in and have it altered in some way after the OBD flash has been installed.
There are ways around it trust me... porsche motors are 40k without core... lol Hard to sell a tune when the motor price is that. Cobb has and does do it

John

Nov 13, 2015
There are ways around it trust me... porsche motors are 40k without core... lol Hard to sell a tune when the motor price is that. Cobb has and does do it
If you tune your $40,000 porsche engine you forfeit your warranty. Same goes for any tune, any manufacturer. Read the fine print.

Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
If you tune your $40,000 porsche engine you forfeit your warranty. Same goes for any tune, any manufacturer. Read the fine print.
With the write counter not moved it’s basically undetectable.. I had the 30k porsche piwis which I was able to flash a car and tell it anything I wanted... most dealer retards don’t really really know much other then this car needs an update... when they see 20-40 flashes or something dumb it brings up red flags... they would send the ecu off to possibly find the new program but I can promise they won’t... especially on these trucks... I just won’t want to flash back and fourth every time I go to dealer even for oil changes... it’s peace of mind for me knowing the write counter hasn’t gone up

John

Nov 13, 2015
I don't own a porsche and don't know what a 30k porsche piwis is, but I would be surprised if porsche would replace a $40,000 engine without first determining if was altered. Yes, any tune can be detected. I agree maybe not at the dealer level.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
It's the moral aspect... if you modify the write counter to help the consumer and in turn not void the manufactures warranty, what does that say about your company?

And yes, the dealer can't likely tell if the truck has been tuned, but I promise you the engineers that developed the factory calibration sure can. Not sure if manufactures ever go that far, but.. it can be done.

On Edit: this post is about tuning in general. I'm not saying any company does this, I'm just stating my opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

SofaKingTuned

Dec 31, 2018
Truck Year
There's ways.

You were also told in order to change VIN/injector codes or to have "service def vehicle will not restart"/DPF full message that you'd need to have it flashed by the dealer/setup on a bench etc...
We can do all that via OBD2. From the comfort of your own home 😎

John

Nov 13, 2015
I'm with boostn on this one. "It's the moral aspect... if you modify the write counter to help the consumer and in turn not void the manufactures warranty, what does that say about your company? "

SofaKingTuned

Dec 31, 2018
Truck Year
It's the moral aspect... if you modify the write counter to help the consumer and in turn not void the manufactures warranty, what does that say about your company?

And yes, the dealer can't likely tell if the truck has been tuned, but I promise you the engineers that developed the factory calibration sure can. Not sure if manufactures ever go that far, but.. it can be done.
If it's tuned, sure. If it's stock, no.