• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil and fuel filter change

Lou

Jan 31, 2016
Truck Year
Well just finished an oil and filter change on my 15 ecodiesel;
whom ever the dealership had do the previous change had tightened the drain plug so damned tight I ended up using my impact wrench to remove the drain plug.
The rubber washer under the drain plug is in pretty poor condition from being over tightened so I called my local dealer just to find out that it is not a service part
have to order a complete drain plug :mad:
Went thru my orings and sealing washers and added a fiber sealing washer for now.
Sure hope it holds good, would hate to dump all that T6 Rotella oil out trying to replace it.
ended up using a NAPA gold filter #100060.
While I was under it went ahead and replaced the fuel filter, pleasantly surprised just a couple of little beads of water with 40,000 on the fuel filter.
Still had 33% oil life left with almost 7000 miles on the oil change.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Well just finished an oil and filter change on my 15 ecodiesel;
whom ever the dealership had do the previous change had tightened the drain plug so damned tight I ended up using my impact wrench to remove the drain plug.
The rubber washer under the drain plug is in pretty poor condition from being over tightened so I called my local dealer just to find out that it is not a service part
have to order a complete drain plug :mad:
Went thru my orings and sealing washers and added a fiber sealing washer for now.
Sure hope it holds good, would hate to dump all that T6 Rotella oil out trying to replace it.
ended up using a NAPA gold filter #100060.
While I was under it went ahead and replaced the fuel filter, pleasantly surprised just a couple of little beads of water with 40,000 on the fuel filter.
Still had 33% oil life left with almost 7000 miles on the oil change.

Nothing is worse than going to change your oil and the technician used the hand of god to put the drain plug bolt back in. Glad you got it squared away..

DieselDude

Oct 9, 2013
Nothing is worse than going to change your oil and the technician used the hand of god to put the drain plug bolt back in. Glad you got it squared away..
I think those guys use impacts sometimes!!

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Replace the drain plug with a Fumato type drain valve - it makes oil draining clean and easy

Lou

Jan 31, 2016
Truck Year
I have thought about those but, occasionally I will be driving thru tall grass or corn stalks and I would worry.

namretsud

Oct 24, 2017
Truck Year
I had a co-worker years ago that we were always getting after for over tightening bolts. We had a saying " it was normal tight or Chuck tight". I watched him many time while telling him not to over tighten where he would get it really tight and then give it that extra. He was a big guy and just couldn't comprehend that it didn't have to be 200 foot-lbs when it should have been inch-lbs.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have thought about those but, occasionally I will be driving thru tall grass or corn stalks and I would worry.

They make little lock levers that go on them. Should be almost impossible unless you break the entire thing off.

Turner

Apr 20, 2018
Truck Year
Have any of you guys been using the vacuum type oil change thru the dip stick tube?