• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil By Pass System

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
I just got a 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel and want to pursue installing an oil Bypass filter system on it. I am looking at the Amsoil BMK21 system. I have several questions if anyone can help?
1. Anyone installed this Oil Bypass Filter System on their truck and did you have any problems with the install?
2. I prefer not to install a T at the Oil Sensor Connection point so is there another place I can tap on to obtain oil pressure to route to the filter?
3. For the return line to the engine many applications call for routing it back to/thru the oil filler cap by modifying it with a swivel connection. Since my oil cap is not flat I am not sure how one can modify it to receive this swivel connection in order to receive the oil return line. Is there another place on the engine the oil can be returned too? Or are there other oil filler caps out there that would work?

I would appreciate any help.......thanks.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You are asking for Trouble...Plus the instant some dealers or Rep see it and the engine pukes it will suck up your wallet in excess of $10KUS

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The 3.0 has sensors to measure Crankcase pressures, and only a switch to read PSI. In addition the cost $ vs service intervals is mush better spent.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
10K plus you really need to check your facts an entire replacement engine retails yes retails for 7K. If you shop around the engine replacement can be done for $7500 with labor.

Now back on topic bypasss oil filtration is excellent for extending oil change intervals and for extending engine life. The majority of bearing wear occurs from particals between 2-20 microns. The only way to catch them is with bypass filtration so it may prevent bottom end failure. So a for a couple hundred dollars you might prevent catastrophic engine failure.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Hmm.NO Bypass system will stop Puking, if the rotating mass is creating wear its way to late by the time it reaches the auxiliary system, it will only prolong the eventual outcome, it will extend engine life on properly spec and set tolerances BC such small amounts are created and captured. Please tells us how the Auxiliary system is going to heal or stop the creation of the wear material designed to capture. How does this system warn the Driver/owner its plugged and the Bypass internal is engage the last 5K miles until it pukes itself to death on that family (Possibly) vacation?

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Wear metals are always being made in every engine. Without bypass filtration the small 2-20 mircons wear metals get pumped throughout the system until you change the oil. They then cause excessive wear with is why lots of industrial engines use bypass or dual pass filtration setups. The setups do not have a warning on the filter but usually have a mileage recommendation on changing the filter. A little common sense and some mechanical knowledge must be applied. Worse case the filter plugs and becomes a blockage no harm caused from that. Its not going to cause low oil pressure.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
No kicking HuH. But you stated longevity, until I call you out on the FACTS. Share with us the common sense that Your BYPASS system will over come poor QC, I conceded it may prolong it ,BUT NOT stop it. In common sense How is any Bypass system going to overcome the eventual outcome of POOR QC and spec's? You cannot covert PPM (Concentration ) to Micron measure of length ..Just a guide OAs are PPM =1mic .So OAs will pickup wear material that travel thru the best filter you can Buy.

No bypass system will indicate teardown and repair, OAs will, Thus you will be More likely to save yourself the drama of catastrophic failure, By whatever means you use to avoid it ,Trade it off etc,, Bypass systems are for long term ownership to extend ....engine life....

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Oil analysis is an excellent tool which I recommend every use but it is not going to prevent failure just possibly help identify it. It well also not stop soot from traveling through your oil system which is extremely abrasive, bypass filtration well filter it out. Until one can prove every engine is failing due to poor quality control which you cant there is no proof that bypass filtration well not extended engine life.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I agree........ to this point, if the rotating mass is NOT spec within X range, only OAs will tell ya you wat cha got.

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
I agree........ to this point, if the rotating mass is NOT spec within X range, only OAs will tell ya you wat cha got.
You seem to know much about diesels and the 3.0. Can you provide any assistance on:
1. whether there is another oil pressure port other than then installing a t connection at the oil pressure sensing unit.
2. Is there another place on the engine to return the oil other than modifying oil cap?
3. Supposedly this system by Amsoil only routes about 10% of oil at any one time. Do you think that would still affect crankcase pressure?

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I had to make My own fittings, You also need to have transition for 1.5-1.25 thread to NPT.

Attachments

• ED oil Gage1.jpg
    ED oil Gage1.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 47
  • ED 3.0 oil psi gage1.jpg
    ED 3.0 oil psi gage1.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 51
  • ED oil gage psi2.jpg
    ED oil gage psi2.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 50

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
I had to make My own fittings, You also need to have transition for 1.5-1.25 thread to NPT.
TC Diesel thanks for the pics. I assume this was not for an oil bypass system but for you oil auxiliary pressure gauge? The tap connector would be pretty much the same. I was hoping to tape onto the oil pressure somewhere else on the engine. I realize to keep my warranty everytime I take it to the dealership I would need to remove this system so I was hoping to make it as easy as possible.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Dwalker, I still support money spend on OAs is better spent. If the engine is within tolerance's it won't produce the -4-8 Mic's the OEM filter allows threw.

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
Dwalker, I still support money spend on OAs is better spent. If the engine is within tolerance's it won't produce the -4-8 Mic's the OEM filter allows threw.
I am new to Diesel Trucks. In fact, this is my first truck. I am not familiar with your usage of the term "OA". Can you explain?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Oil Analysis. Here my last 2 years.

Attachments

• 15 ECODIESEL-170806.pdf
    30.1 KB · Views: 16

Paul

Sep 4, 2015
Truck Year
I have had Cummins 6.7 and they needed the bypass oil filters, with a DGE tune you can go 7k miles and oil is still doesn’t look like charcoal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John

Nov 13, 2015
Here's a OA prior to a bottom end failure.

Attachments

• OA before failure.pdf
    79.1 KB · Views: 19

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
1 OA is inclusive, Calcium 1737 that's the highest I've ever seen(Or remember) MAG 12 ,Moly 11 If that was My Lube I would be draining it before I typed how PO I was... In long term ownership No bypass system was going to extend any Diesel running that lube over long periods.. And With CAL that high any coolant leak into the crank case is going to be abrasive , High CAL and coolant = immediate wear with window Block or Knock. And Here's the real kicker when that coolant reaches your additional OIL filter it will destroy it in short order just like the OE filter. And again NO bypass is going to indicate oil contamination EVER.

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
I have had Cummins 6.7 and they needed the bypass oil filters, with a DGE tune you can go 7k miles and oil is still doesn’t look like charcoal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Can you provide details on what oil bypass system you have used?

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk