• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil Change Procedure Warning for 3 liter EcoDiesel

Goldwinger

May 4, 2022
Truck Year
I read somewhere on the internet that one has to be careful to allow enough wait time for the new oil to settle into the crankcase before starting the engine. Otherwise serious damage can occur. It mentioned one dealer who warns customers to expect longer wait times when they bring in their vehicle for service. As I recall the wait time time before starting the engine is something like 20-30 min. Has anyone read something similar. I would like to find this warning and read again. Is it really valid?

Church

Mar 29, 2022
Truck Year
When I did my oil change I waited about a hour for it to drain and then another hour after I filled it. That may be longer than needed but it's just sitting in my driveway.

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
The wait time being mentioned is mainly for the time to fully drain the oil. As for starting afterwards, turn the start switch to run and listen for the fuel pump to charge the system....do not start. Do the run switch three times and then start the engine. Should not be any real wait time.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I read and copied this from something, forum, post, Ram document, I can't remember.

1 - remove the oil fill cap to allow the oil to flow freely as its drained and ensures a full drain.
2 - remove the oil filter.
3 - drain the oil for no less than 20 minutes.
4 - install the new filter
5 - fill with oil.
6 – wait at least 20 minutes before starting allowing the oil to fill all necessary passages.
IMPORTANT -- The 20 minute drain time and 20 minute fill times MUST be adhered to.
7 - When complete cycle the start switch (do not start the engine), and listen for the fuel pump charging
the system. Do this three times.

Edit:
Here is a good video that also mentions a 15-20 minute wait time for the oil to drain. Oil Change

Last edited:

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
Will I guess for 100,000 miles and 10 oil changes I do myself, I have done it all wrong by not waiting. Darn, my engine will probably blow up tomorrow.....but I certainly am not going to wait 20 min. for oil to flow into an engine WHEN is is just sitting there!!??!!

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Will I guess for 100,000 miles and 10 oil changes I do myself, I have done it all wrong by not waiting. Darn, my engine will probably blow up tomorrow.....but I certainly am not going to wait 20 min. for oil to flow into an engine WHEN is is just sitting there!!??!!
I believe the wait for the oil to flow into the engine is mainly to get an accurate reading on the dipstick. I have also read to preclude oil starvation on startup.

Waiting the 15-30 minutes for it to empty guarantees a 100% drain. It's a well known fact that the Eco takes a long time to completely drain its ports and channels.

Goldwinger

May 4, 2022
Truck Year
Thank you all for your replies. I especially appreciate the detailed step by step procedure provided by John Jensen as well as the references to videos. In addition to the wait times for the 3.0 liter Eco-Diesel, the warm-up required to drain the oil at the right temperature seems important as well as using the right oil and filter. At a dealership recently I was told that Rotella T6 is now again the recommended oil. It is a switch away from Pennzoil. Oil filter options seem to be limited.

Further observations regarding this issue would be welcomed.