• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OIL COOLER FAILURE

COXlitt

Jun 4, 2019
Truck Year
I was smelling coolant again on a 2016 RAM ECO stock and took to dealership to be told my oil cooler has failed and oil through my entire cooling system. I didnt buy an extended warranty but after the EGR cooler deal it came with the power train warranty. So the dealership says the oil cooler is the only thing covered under the warranty and that FCA details show that all the oil lines need replaced and the 3 way valve and the coolant reservoir as well as a full fush of the cooling system to get all the oil out of it but say all of this is not covered. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM? Called FCA and had my case elevated to a case manager because I feel ever since my EGR Cooler failed and caught my truck on fire that this was the sart of many problems since.

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
You should be covered under the Class Action Lawsuit AEM extended warranty for 2014-2016.
My 2015 is in the shop for a second EGR cooler regarding a coolant leak. The dealer was trying to charge a deductible for a part covered by the recall. I called FCA customer care and they called the dealer to speak to the service advisor who didn’t answer her call. I received a call back from the dealer and they will look further to what is covered under the recall. My max care warranty shouldn’t be used since I am covered under the recall and AEM coverage. No out of pocket expense.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
COXlitt, Your post is confusing to me.

More Important do OA, if coolant is found in OIL the result is accelerated wear, Yes the OIL PSI is higher to push the oil to coolant, at idle the coolant pressure can surpass oil PSI, In most cases you cannot flush all the oil out, it just comes back, the lube is now on all the surfaces of engine, lines, radiator , etc.

COXlitt

Jun 4, 2019
Truck Year
The dealer ship said that with the warranty we were all given with the EGR cooler recall that it will only cover the price of the oil cooler only. With the failure of the oil cooler there is oil everywhere the coolant goes and hence FCA says everything in the coolant system SHOULD be replaced but they are saying the warranty that I have (no paid extended warranty) will not cover replacing everything else that was affected from the oil cooler failure.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
COXLitt, Need miles, in service date.

Last edited:

COXlitt

Jun 4, 2019
Truck Year
I have 71,000 miles on the truck I have owned it since it had 20,000 miles on it, its a 2016 had the EGR cooler fail and catch the intake manifold on fire at 65,000 miles and just a month ago it was in the shop to have all the turbo and injector coolant lines replaced due to them leaking cause they didnt replace them from when it caught fire.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
WOW, COXlitt you are the unlucky in a way this is what most 3.0VM look like when the plenum catches.Ecodiesel_fire_6.jpgecodiesel fire .jpg

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
COXlitt, Regardless the failed Exchanger cause the lube to leak into the coolant everything should be replaced by warranty.

My guess you have big future problems with this engine, how much damage did the intake swallow at the EGR failure, Now the risk of more coolant on the lube side.

Your the poster child for why I tell everyone to stay away from the 3.0VM....Your not alone.

COXlitt

Jun 4, 2019
Truck Year
Trust me I wish everyday it would have just burned to the ground. It’s mostly likely gone as soon as it gets fixed I got to have reliable transportation for my 70 mile round trip to work.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
OK, Stand Your ground with the Dealer and FCA......35/35 Hwy with this many problems, are you using as a Grocery getter in addition to the HWY use.

COXlitt

Jun 4, 2019
Truck Year
No I use it as a normal truck I just thought it was a bonus to get the good gas mileage you know having my cake and eating it too!!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Their not normal use, the intake and EGR was under developed for normal use.

MRorange

Jul 26, 2020
Truck Year
well well well, this is a sad day .I have a 2015 Ram Ecodiesel 1500 laramie I bought 3/2020. It only had 11000 miles . its 12/2020 and only have 26000 miles on it. I took it in for the VB1 recall. I waited 2 months for the parts. the dealership installed it I drove the truck for a week no problems. Til I opened the hood and black soot jelly like oily substance in coolant. Took the truck next day back to dealership.they looked at it and said yes oil cooler failure. I bought an extended warranty from the dealer that sold me the truck, It does not cover oil cooler. I had fca case person tell me not covered because Im the second owner. weird , Because they wrote me a 3000 check from the lawsuit .The dealership wants 7000. To repair. Then charged me 135 to tell me it was oil cooler..And the attitude these service adviser have is pure crap.
The truck is beautiful and drives great. Well since I have no warranty whats the best oil cooler out there?

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
The AEM software update allowed any 2014-2016 owner to have additional warranty coverage with up to $3,075. I received the full refund, unfortunately the AEM doesn’t cover certain parts. When my exhaust manifold went, they charged me my $100 deductible under my warranty because the AEM doesn’t cover cleaning the soot. I do like my truck but it’s also in the shop more than I would like. The Max Care Warranty was definitely worth having.

Woodster

Sep 23, 2021
Truck Year
You should be covered under the Class Action Lawsuit AEM extended warranty for 2014-2016.
My 2015 is in the shop for a second EGR cooler regarding a coolant leak. The dealer was trying to charge a deductible for a part covered by the recall. I called FCA customer care and they called the dealer to speak to the service advisor who didn’t answer her call. I received a call back from the dealer and they will look further to what is covered under the recall. My max care warranty shouldn’t be used since I am covered under the recall and AEM coverage. No out of pocket expense.
I am real new here.
My oil cooler has failed after the EGR was dealer replaced in Aug/Sept.’20 and less than 10k added.
What is the AEM and how could this apply.
Please

busterrr17

Sep 11, 2021
Truck Year
bought a 2015 eco 3.0. thought the truck was on fire with the mass amount smoke coming out from under the hood. Got towed to dealer and was told it was shoot build up in the engine. was covered by warantee. Was told to run the engine at 2800 rpm for 5 minutes, in 2nd gear to clean out the carbon periodically. Next thing that happened was an antifreeze leak back by turbo at a RUBBER ELBOW under the turbo. cost me $600 Dollars to find it and would cost $7200 to fix and put back together. The truck is back at home with all the parts in the back of it until I make a discussion on what to do with it. I can't see putting a rubber replacement part back in to have it fail again from the heat of the turbo. Keep in mind that they have to lift the cab to replace it.