Oil Filter Housing Parts

• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

s0231198

Jan 15, 2020
Ohio
I have a 2015 Ram with the ecodiesel, and changed my oil, and when I pulled the oil filter and went to put the new one in, there was a spring and what looks like a check valve of some type laying in the bottom on the housing. After looking around online, can not find the part or figure out what it does. There is a hole on the firewall side inside where the filter goes, which appears to be where it goes. Does anyone know what this part could be for, and how important it is. Also if can find it anywhere, or have to replace the entire Oil Cooler/Filter housing?

TC Diesel

Supporting Member
Jul 14, 2016
Blaine
www.tcdiesel.com
Truck Year
Depending on what circuit/port, yes its important, if its the return port from the exchanger it regulates the OIL PSI. the exchange have failed on the 3.0s if it does the Coolant pressure will be higher then the Oil PSI you will have coolant in your lube and coolant and lube with High CAL will produce abrasive material and your engine will have wear to eventual BOOM.

The other use is drain back, it stops the lube from draining back to the crankcase when shutdown.

s0231198

Jan 15, 2020
Ohio
I don't believe it's the drain back valve, I believe that is the part that gets pushed down with the filter when it is tightened, or atleast looks like it should. This would be on the opposite side of that inside where the filter is at., just wasn't sure what the part name would be because don't see it on any part diagram online for the filter housing, it looks like a little cup that is cutout on 4 sides, with looks like a little check valve inside of it, and goes into a spring, and not sure if there is clips on it that hold it into the hole bc nothing looks like it broke off for it to come out, but looks like there maybe a o ring missing from the cup. and it goes into maybe a 3/8" hole underneath the edge of the filter. Would rather replace that part if can rather then replacing the entire filter housing.