• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

oil sample

Caveman

May 15, 2019
Truck Year
Where do I grab a sample for oil analysis. I read somewhere that oil must be warm when taking one . I was at truck today and disconnected battery. I noticed my coolant was down two inches from cold fill line.... blown motor I might add haven’t heard anything in nine days. If I get a sample from drain plug is oil more dense than antifreeze ?

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
You can get a sample from the drain plug hole, ideally the engine and oil should at operating temperature, this gets everything mixed in, if you can't get the engine warm I think I recommend 3 or 4 samples at different times while draining, this is where a FUMOTO or EZ-DRAIN would be nice. I purchased an EZ-DRAIN but I'm leery about putting it on with the way it sticks down, I know it's not a lot, but we have rabbits, rocks and all kinds of other stuff that could take it out. A cold sample should be very similar in viscosity to new oil, oil will turn black very quickly after an oil change. If it's at a dealership I would advise you to get it quickly, you could also get one of those oil change pumps that goes in through the dipstick tub to pull a sample.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
With the issues some have with this ecodiesel, they could always go back to being cavemen......lol! Personally I'm not sure what good an oil sample is from a blown engine! Unless you're trying to prove oil type.
Now previously done oil analysis history would be a different story!
And no the antifreeze or water anyway, is heavier so will drain out first

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
When doing failure analysis we always took oil samples. If there is coolant in the oil it may be mixed into the oil, if so the oil wil be milky.

Caveman

May 15, 2019
Truck Year
No need for the oil sample ! They are coming good for the engine 500 dollar deduct. They have to replace a corroded engine harness for 1400 but said he’d probably charge me twelve . Far from 19500. It was as expected antifreeze getting in to engine threw the crank.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Well that's good to hear they acknowledged it should be their repair!