• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil temp too high??

jeepguy

Nov 1, 2018
Truck Year
Hello,
Earlier this year I bought my 2017 Eco diesel. Laramie package. Mega cab, short box. Also has tow package.
I've been loving this truck, although I've had to have a few minor things fixed under warranty. I just purchased a light weigh travel trailer that I thought would be fine with this truck. 25' trailer weighs about 5500lbs, and maybe 6400lbs fully loaded. On level ground it tows fine, but traveling to the mountains the engine got hot! At least hot IMO>. Water temp went up to about 245* and Oil temp went up to about 260*! When I got to top of the hill temps went back down, but now it seems oil temp stays around 225* while engine/water is 210* Neither of these sounded right to me and I am not pleased that the truck got hot!
I assumed the total weight was well under what the truck is rated and I did not think it would be an issue!? Has anyone else had this issue towing? A friend of mine has the same truck w/5.7 Hemi and he has no towing issues! Any help appreciated! tia.

jeepguy

Nov 1, 2018
Truck Year
Well, been reading other forums on the subject, seems this could be somewhat typical. I guess I am not alone. One post suggested changing grills b/c the Laramie grill restricts air flow a bit. Could save 10* or so by getting a less restrictive grill like the Longhorn style wire grill. Also no oil cooler per se'. And the 'warm up shutters' in the radiator assembly also restrict air flow?? Another person stated that the OEM thermostat only opens 100% @ 225*>? Really? That seems wrong!? I know when I was climbing the grade the temp would fluctuate quite a bit like the thermostat was opening and closing... but at 245*? That ain't right!!! Going to talk to Chrysler about that one.
Anywho, since changing the grill is about the only thing I can do without a major change that would void the warranty... I may start there.?
Since this thread has had a few views, but no responses, maybe this info is helpful? Again, chime in if you have different info. and want to share.

Rich Daarud

Nov 14, 2018
Truck Year
My 2016 pulling a similar load at 65-68 mph will hit 212 on the coolant and 235 on the oil then recovers quickly on the flats.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk