• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Opinion on this line of trucks.

Danel

Apr 13, 2019
Truck Year
Hi to all. New guy to this forum. I'm asking for general opinions about this truck platform. Good or bad. About to drop the hammer on my own purchase.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
With the VM3.0 Some good , Some Bad and Some ugly...Right now with the quagmire of trouble its just risky, willing to take the risk has benefits and looses.

Danel

Apr 13, 2019
Truck Year
With the VM3.0 Some good , Some Bad and Some ugly...Right now with the quagmire of trouble its just risky, willing to take the risk has benefits and looses.
Thanks for reply. What's the quagmire you speak of?
what precisely are you buying?
I'm looking at used ram 1500 3.0l. With 4x4 big horn cab. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. Just looking reliable package with great fuel economy.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
look up Green Diesel Engineering or PPEI engine tunes. Without putting the EGR valve in a deep sleep this truck can be a PITA. My EGR is in a deep sleep and it has been a fantastic truck. Make sure you are buying it for highway driving and not city driving in bumper to bumper traffic. New diesels hate city driving and it causes all kinds of problems with the new EPA junk they are hanging all over the engine.

Quagmire is all the pollution control equipment, mostly the EGR valve.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
x2 CS Alabama, I want to add , FCA must get the QC fixed at Cento Italy...FCA has put a tight lid on the failures, this dark cloud over the VM 3.0 will not be lifted until FCA makes public disclosure to fix the shorting comings of this Diesel Power plant.

Modern technogly should/make rotating mass failures a thing of the pass. My research has some makers of diesel power plants at rotating mass failures around 1 Per 2000+. Back in 2015-16 some months the 3.0 Failure rates were at a shocking rate of 1 per 15 :cry:.

OK how 2017-18 doing, better , although they still are failing.

VM 3.0 2014-16 are still failing at over 100k miles, as a engine builder/ Modder I find it hard to believe these failures are related to QC at 100k miles or more... Possibly some other shorting coming of this motor ,I just don't know and until something is drop before me to investigate or to go on its unknown IMO.