• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Overheating

REDZ

Aug 10, 2022
Truck Year
Hey all, New to the Forum ,
My truck 2018 1500 Ecodiesel got hot this past weekend traveling up a lot of hills,. on hills odd when the truck gears down the temp goes up...when it gears up the temp goes down??? . more flow should be better cooling.

Anyone have any idea how this can work?

Thanks , Redz

REDZ

Aug 10, 2022
Truck Year
My truck 2018 1500 Ecodiesel got hot this past weekend traveling up a lot of hills,. on hills odd when the truck gears down the temp goes up...when it gears up the temp goes down??? . more flow should be better cooling.

Thanks , Redz
No one has heard of this? Had this ? or seen it in a previous post?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
3-way coolant Valve.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year

Thanks , Redz
OK, here we go. On the ED there is a three way coolant valve which shuttles coolant between the oil heat exchanger and the transmission heat exchanger. With the factory tune the three way valve does not optimize the coolant to the radiator thus temp rises.

Diesels as a family of engines run cooler at idle and hotter at RPM. So as RPM rise so does engine temp so some rise is inevitable, just how much is acceptable is the question.

My Eco would get engine coolant temp high enough to de-rate HP, or with the external oil cooler, water temp was great and oil temp got hot enough to de-rate HP. Same effect, when hauling our Travel Trailer Toy Hauler (both editions until we got too heavy)

My ultimate solution was revert back to OEM oil heat exchange and install GDE tune. The tune resulted in lower acceptable coolant temps as well as oil temps by several methodologies, fuel map, three way valve function, fan engagement.

Now the ultimate question, how high was high? Did you de-rate HP, get stuck in third gear WOT at 30mph? Were you empty or pulling, if pulling how heavy?

REDZ

Aug 10, 2022
Truck Year
Thanks, for the response. Towing a 4500Lb trailer, watching the temp gauge and digital display, from 104deg - 119 deg . Never de raitng Hp ,well I don't think so..i just had to let it dog up the hills.. with everything passing me. Possibly even a bicycle., only way to get to cool down.

Redz

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks, for the response. Towing a 4500Lb trailer, watching the temp gauge and digital display, from 104deg - 119 deg . Never de raitng Hp ,well I don't think so..i just had to let it dog up the hills.. with everything passing me. Possibly even a bicycle., only way to get to cool down.

Redz
Fahrenheit or Celsius? If you are reading in Celsius it would translate to F at 219 to 246deg. Water or Oil temp? If you were reading water temp the 246degF (119degC) would be at the de-rate threshold. If you were reading in F to begin with then you were not high at all. The thermostat opens at 206dgF. Was this oil temp? The oil temp normally follows water temp by about 15 minutes lag and then may go 5 or 10 deg higher. What gear were you in? How steep the grade? RPM?

If you are deep into de-rate temps you will not exceed 30 mph at WOT in 3rd gear. Pull out of the throttle a little and you still get about 30mph and 3rd gear until you can cool down the engine temps of water or oil. I have seen 155degF water and corresponding 155degF oil simultaneously, OEM tune, our first Travel Trailer Toy Hauler (5K lbs.) in what I would call 10% grades in Colorado/Montana. Had to pull over and let engine idle to cool down. Met a couple of guys riding motorcycles from Canda. A couple from OK traveling to the same general areas we were. So there were a couple of perks of pulling over and cooling off.