• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P0088 code w/check engine light

JKCummings

Apr 3, 2022
Truck Year
I've had a check engine light off an on for over two years (since 92k miles, now have 125k). There are no performances issues. I've cleared the code and it returns usually within 10 or more miles.
I've tolerated the light because there no performances degradation. But I want it gone for three reasons; 1) since it makes getting inspections difficult (must reset and hope it doesn't occur before or during the inspection), 2) check engine light apparently disables remote start, and 3) having a check engine light prevents me from knowing when something else might be wrong.

The code P0088 is thrown when the fuel rail sensor returns values not expected. Last year, I hada shoplook at the problem. Of course, they said the sensor had to be replace ($650, ouch). They did and the issue returned within 10 miles. I went back to them. The tech scanned the truck while driving it. All pressures were within normal operational values, and again, no performance degradation. I forum suggested that it is a wiring harness issues likely with an intermittent 'open or 'grounding. Tracing out the harness and or replacing it will be very expensive. Anyone else have a similar experience? Any suggestions? Thoughts? Voodoo spells? Etc.???

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I've had a check engine light off an on for over two years (since 92k miles, now have 125k). There are no performances issues. I've cleared the code and it returns usually within 10 or more miles.
I've tolerated the light because there no performances degradation. But I want it gone for three reasons; 1) since it makes getting inspections difficult (must reset and hope it doesn't occur before or during the inspection), 2) check engine light apparently disables remote start, and 3) having a check engine light prevents me from knowing when something else might be wrong.

The code P0088 is thrown when the fuel rail sensor returns values not expected. Last year, I hada shoplook at the problem. Of course, they said the sensor had to be replace ($650, ouch). They did and the issue returned within 10 miles. I went back to them. The tech scanned the truck while driving it. All pressures were within normal operational values, and again, no performance degradation. I forum suggested that it is a wiring harness issues likely with an intermittent 'open or 'grounding. Tracing out the harness and or replacing it will be very expensive. Anyone else have a similar experience? Any suggestions? Thoughts? Voodoo spells? Etc.???
I have not experienced this code, but you appear to have a consistent issue that is unresolved. So let us look at cause analysis.
=P0088 Fuel Rail Pressure Too High Bank 1
- Faulty Fuel Pump
- Blocked Fuel Filter
- Faulty Fuel Pressure Sensor
- Fuel Pressure Sensor wiring open or shorted
- Fuel Pressure Sensor poor electrical connection
- Faulty fuel injector
By your description your tech has only checked two parameters and changed only one. A further investigation of the cause of the issue is warranted. Tracing the wiring is one of my most dreaded functions so good luck with that. As a rule when ever I check an electrical connection when I reconnect I utilize a good quality Dielectric Silicone Grease on the connection.
I assume that you are changing the fuel filter on a regular basis, some people espouse OEM only but I have good luck with WEX and MANN brand fuel filters as well.
We should be seeing a replacement recall for the CP 4.2 High Pressure Fuel Pump from FCA (whatever the new name is) to a more dependable CP 3 High Pressure Fuel Pump. This will entail a flash reprogram as well as hardware.
I would recommend your tech monitor the fuel flow from your injectors, not just the time span width, if possible.

Good luck.

Korsch

Dec 29, 2018
Truck Year
Is there a recall on Ecodiesel for fuel pump failures? This could be related as it does sound like it’s within the parameters. Not sure the year of your Ecodiesel but I think the recall extends from 2016 to 2018.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Is there a recall on Ecodiesel for fuel pump failures? This could be related as it does sound like it’s within the parameters. Not sure the year of your Ecodiesel but I think the recall extends from 2016 to 2018.
The recall covers 2014 to 2018. We already have the recall notices.