• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P2D2F & Recall for For "HPFP" (high pressure fuel pump)

Mindi C.

Aug 25, 2022
Truck Year
I have an Engine light on stating it is a P2D2F of Unknown Issue. I know there is a Recall for the High Pressure Fuel Pump, (with no fix yet?) Would having this cause the P2D2F Issue?1662070294437.png

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
The code is not related to the X46 recall

P2D2F is a throttle position sensor code. the problem can be a dirty map sensor or a dirty EGR tube boost sensor. The EGR pipe at the back of the turbo (passenger side of the engine) is known to crack and leak exhaust gas or if it breaks you will see soot on the firewall. That too will throw a P2D2F code.

Mindi C.

Aug 25, 2022
Truck Year
The code is not related to the X46 recall

P2D2F is a throttle position sensor code. the problem can be a dirty map sensor or a dirty EGR tube boost sensor. The EGR pipe at the back of the turbo (passenger side of the engine) is known to crack and leak exhaust gas or if it breaks you will see soot on the firewall. That too will throw a P2D2F code.
Thank you, I'll have to try and figure out how to do that. My husband told me not to buy this truck (used 2 yrs ago) as he knows nothing about diesels. I fell in love with the truck when I test drove it and purchased it. Now...I can't find a dealership/mechanic within 100 miles that works on diesels and I'm afraid to drive it that far. Not to mention, tell me they wouldn't see a 4' 11' lady and see a pay day walking in... Wish I knew how to clear the code I'd just trade it in....sadly.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Thank you, I'll have to try and figure out how to do that. My husband told me not to buy this truck (used 2 yrs ago) as he knows nothing about diesels. I fell in love with the truck when I test drove it and purchased it. Now...I can't find a dealership/mechanic within 100 miles that works on diesels and I'm afraid to drive it that far. Not to mention, tell me they wouldn't see a 4' 11' lady and see a pay day walking in... Wish I knew how to clear the code I'd just trade it in....sadly.
You bought a great truck, I love my 2016.

I'm not familiar with that code so I'm not the one to advise you. However, don't think it will put your truck ion limp mode, I think you can drive it ok.

Suggest you go to any auto parts store, they will check the code and try to retire it for free. And may be able to offer advice.

Hopefully, a more knowledgeable member will chime in. Good luck to you.

Mindi C.

Aug 25, 2022
Truck Year

I'm not familiar with that code so I'm not the one to advise you. However, don't think it will put your truck ion limp mode, I think you can drive it ok.

Suggest you go to any auto parts store, they will check the code and try to retire it for free. And may be able to offer advice.

I bought a Fix it thing. It cleared minor stuff..but will not clear this one. We did take it to a parts store, read the same code before I purchased the FixIt. I'll have to see if theirs will clear it. TY for the response.

Mindi C.

Aug 25, 2022
Truck Year

I too absolutely adore my truck, but I'm sure for different reasons. It has every I mean EVERY bell and whistle the 15 Ram Laramie Limited offered in 15. Even the seats are cooled. Body and interior wise, in Excellent condition. I just don't know if I can keep it. It's got 188K on it. I'm not scared of the yr or miles, had a honda accord once with 248K on it before I sold it. But I'm scared/worried of the future and cost, i'm not a bank and don't have the spare funds to throw in it like what seems to be a lot of the gentlemen on here do.

jcrheingans

May 26, 2022
Truck Year
Any easy thing to try is cleaning the boost sensor(I think that’s what it’s called) at the rear center off the engine. Take the plastic cover off and it had one T40 torx bolt holding it in. Remove the bolt, wiggle the sensor out, unplug the wire from it, then spray it out with brake clean or something similar. There should be some small black Vanes inside that look similar to a MAF sensor. Mine was packed with soot. I cleaned it and let it run for a minute then cleared the code and the truck went back to normal operation and no code

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I have an Engine light on stating it is a P2D2F of Unknown Issue. I know there is a Recall for the High Pressure Fuel Pump, (with no fix yet?) Would having this cause the P2D2F Issue?View attachment 3809
I agree with John, two different issues.
The recall for the High Pressure Fuel Pump is a national recall and will cost you nothing for the repair. Call your local dealer and find out when they will be receiving their warranty stock, give them your VIN and they will put your truck on their needs list for required parts. My local dealer informed me that if the truck is towed in with a non running issue the parts will be ordered and delivered within two weeks. If the vehicle is still running they note the VIN and will notify when parts arrive, ours stated early 2023. My wife and I both have affected Ecodiesels.

The code you are dealing with, P2D2F, can be tripped by several conditions. One, Mass Atmospheric Pressure sensor, located under the plastic engine cover, removal with a T-40 Torx wrench, much like a previous post, spray clean with Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner it leaves no hydrocarbon residue. Two. Mass Air Flow sensor dirty, located between the air filter and the throttle body in the intake boot. Same thing, if dirty spray clean with Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner, leaves no hydrocarbon residue. Use anything else and it will not clean the sensor or will burn out the sensor. There are several utube videos of location and removal steps for both sensors. A couple of other issues such as blocked EGR dispersal tube or low boost are more involved in cleaning than the two noted sensors.

Your Fix it thing, my wife loved that description, is commonly referred to as a Code Reader. Depending on the capabilities of the Code Reader it may not be able to clear all of your codes. This code will actually call for you to check or clean the above sensors before you can clear. As a mechanic I prefer a Code Reader with real time data known also as a Scanner. A Scanner will be able to read and clear more codes without overwhelming your engine knowledge. I completely understand your mechanic shop angst, my wife shared the concern, I tried to instruct her on how to stand up for herself as well as how to describe auto issues better than "that thing that makes noise doesn't make noise anymore" . She became so good that a local Chevrolet dealer offered her a job as Service Writer. My blonde, blue eyed daughter was also raised to stand up for herself as well as to talk the language, a Honda dealer once told her that there was not a magic computer that can diagnose and read codes, she changed dealerships.

I sympathize with your husband, diesels do require different maintenance skills, but, the sensors that you need to clean are common to gasoline engines as well. Just a question, who does your oil and filter changes, fuel filter changes?

I understand if you cannot trust a support system for your vehicle issues or if you do not drive a diesel the way a diesel is designed to be driven, you should probably acquire a different vehicle. Your 1500 RAM comes with two gasoline engine options and retains all the interior options. We were going to test drive a Chevy when I decided to test drive our present Ecodiesel, Laramie/Longhorn. Feel in love with it instantly and the "all the bells and whistles" didn't hurt either. When the wife was told that the passenger seat was cooled as well as the driver's seat she punched the switch, the ensuing "Aaah" let me know that my job was done. My son-in-law had the opportunity to drive my 1500 for two or three months and he stated that if he didn't have several more years on his loan for his Tahoe he would be looking for a 1500 gas engine.

Good Luck.

Ramsey#1

Aug 12, 2021
Truck Year
I agree with John, two different issues.
The recall for the High Pressure Fuel Pump is a national recall and will cost you nothing for the repair. Call your local dealer and find out when they will be receiving their warranty stock, give them your VIN and they will put your truck on their needs list for required parts. My local dealer informed me that if the truck is towed in with a non running issue the parts will be ordered and delivered within two weeks. If the vehicle is still running they note the VIN and will notify when parts arrive, ours stated early 2023. My wife and I both have affected Ecodiesels.

The code you are dealing with, P2D2F, can be tripped by several conditions. One, Mass Atmospheric Pressure sensor, located under the plastic engine cover, removal with a T-40 Torx wrench, much like a previous post, spray clean with Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner it leaves no hydrocarbon residue. Two. Mass Air Flow sensor dirty, located between the air filter and the throttle body in the intake boot. Same thing, if dirty spray clean with Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner, leaves no hydrocarbon residue. Use anything else and it will not clean the sensor or will burn out the sensor. There are several utube videos of location and removal steps for both sensors. A couple of other issues such as blocked EGR dispersal tube or low boost are more involved in cleaning than the two noted sensors.

Your Fix it thing, my wife loved that description, is commonly referred to as a Code Reader. Depending on the capabilities of the Code Reader it may not be able to clear all of your codes. This code will actually call for you to check or clean the above sensors before you can clear. As a mechanic I prefer a Code Reader with real time data known also as a Scanner. A Scanner will be able to read and clear more codes without overwhelming your engine knowledge. I completely understand your mechanic shop angst, my wife shared the concern, I tried to instruct her on how to stand up for herself as well as how to describe auto issues better than "that thing that makes noise doesn't make noise anymore" . She became so good that a local Chevrolet dealer offered her a job as Service Writer. My blonde, blue eyed daughter was also raised to stand up for herself as well as to talk the language, a Honda dealer once told her that there was not a magic computer that can diagnose and read codes, she changed dealerships.

I sympathize with your husband, diesels do require different maintenance skills, but, the sensors that you need to clean are common to gasoline engines as well. Just a question, who does your oil and filter changes, fuel filter changes?

I understand if you cannot trust a support system for your vehicle issues or if you do not drive a diesel the way a diesel is designed to be driven, you should probably acquire a different vehicle. Your 1500 RAM comes with two gasoline engine options and retains all the interior options. We were going to test drive a Chevy when I decided to test drive our present Ecodiesel, Laramie/Longhorn. Feel in love with it instantly and the "all the bells and whistles" didn't hurt either. When the wife was told that the passenger seat was cooled as well as the driver's seat she punched the switch, the ensuing "Aaah" let me know that my job was done. My son-in-law had the opportunity to drive my 1500 for two or three months and he stated that if he didn't have several more years on his loan for his Tahoe he would be looking for a 1500 gas engine.

Good Luck.
Look on your local yelp for a quality repair shop and then go and quiz them about your truck. If they beat around the bush with answers that are not specific but say oh yea we can do that try another. The egr sensor is pretty simple as is the egr tube cleaning I’m 70 and did both myself. Just be sure to buy both gaskets on the tube so u have no leaks. GOOD LUCK 👍🍀

Mindi C.

Aug 25, 2022
Truck Year
Any easy thing to try is cleaning the boost sensor(I think that’s what it’s called) at the rear center off the engine. Take the plastic cover off and it had one T40 torx bolt holding it in. Remove the bolt, wiggle the sensor out, unplug the wire from it, then spray it out with brake clean or something similar. There should be some small black Vanes inside that look similar to a MAF sensor. Mine was packed with soot. I cleaned it and let it run for a minute then cleared the code and the truck went back to normal operation and no code
Thanks! I did this and it had soot also cleaned another part (cant remember the name, but it was a tube looking thing) that I watched a video from youtube on that had the same buildup. However it didn't clear the code. So I called one of hubbies friends that was able to hook his computer up to it. He has some kind of program where he can do this sort of stuff. He then had to update/download something. It took a few tries, but was eventually able to clear the code. My thing that I used to get the code I received would not clear it. The engine light has not come back on so far...