• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Potential fire after service

imatruckguynow

Sep 23, 2019
Truck Year
Hi all, I bought my ecodiesel brand new in '15 and have had my share of issues that I may get into another time. I just got the truck back after a 6 week stint at the dealer to repair the notorious turbo coolant line leak. The extended timeframe was brushed off by the dealer as waiting on parts and their tech's lack of knowledge on these engines.

When I got the truck back, I started noticing issues, check engine lights thrown relating to def, and bouncing on my speedo needle while the cruise control was set mainly. I asked the dealership if maybe there was a ground or harness loose that could lead to these issues since they pulled the cab off for the repair. Nope, they ordered me a new def tank under warranty and told me to keep an eye on the speedo issue until the parts came in.

Yesterday while driving down the highway, I smell burning and the truck goes into limp mode, I go out and feel the wheels thinking maybe I had a brake lock up or something, everything feels cool to the touch. "Coincidence?" I think, so I clear the code and resume on my way. Almost immediately white smoke starts pouring out of the engine compartment. I pop the hood and it looks like the smoke's coming from the throttle body area. I smell burning plastic but don't see flames. I then decide to tow the truck to the dealer.

For some reason I thought I read something about an injection component in that area that if installed incorrectly could get superheated and catch fire. Does anyone have the slightest clue what I may be taking about? I could be thinking about a totally different diesel truck/engine too.

I'm trying not to blame the tech outright, but all three dealerships in my area have expressed that their techs aren't up to snuff on these engines. (Then where am I supposed to take it?) I have zero faith in the techs or dealership's abilities anymore. What are the odds the dealership is at fault?

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome 2 the group that is what I ha e been saying all along THEIR MECHANICS DONT KNOW WHAT THEY R DOING they call fmc and ask what could b wrong with this thing then they start throwing parts at it get rid of all the plastic on top of the engine so if the manifold catches fire itdoes not add more fuel 2 the fire

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
intake manifold probably burned a hole through it egr problem

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
That's part of this next EGR recall coming up isn't it?
The FCA recall you’re referring to, VB1, pertains to the EGR cooler. Apparently, the coolers develop micro cracks, cause subsequent coolant leaks, and start cabin fires...I’m currently in line for an EGR cooler. Decided to delete instead.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
if u got the new update and the 3000. u should b covered
The FCA recall you’re referring to, VB1, pertains to the EGR cooler. Apparently, the coolers develop micro cracks, cause subsequent coolant leaks, and start cabin fires...I’m currently in line for an EGR cooler. Decided to delete instead.
SMART MAN

imatruckguynow

Sep 23, 2019
Truck Year

I was getting ready to delete and retune with the last slew of issues I had, but I was under the impression you couldn't get anybody to tune anymore with the EPA bs going on. Where can I get a tune?

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
In the interest of discretion, there’s a few companies operating out of Canada. If you don’t mind the vehicle down time for a few days, they’ll bench tune for a reasonable price. If you dig through a few other threads, you might find one or two in the U.S. I emailed quite a few folks over the span of two or three days before I found one. Hope this helps.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
SFT is a USA tuner

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
HD diesel supply the best around there is not any legit places selling tunes in the states

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Carl,
You are wrong! SFT is a very "legit" place selling great, proven tunes in the states. In fact not only for the Ecodiesel, but they are also about to release almost every other vehicle on the road via an OBDII tuner, no sending their ECU away to get tuned.

Quit sending fake news!

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
look I don't want 2 argue with u we called every one that we purchased tunes from and every one said we will sell u the tuner but u have 2 get your own tunes and we don't buy 1 tune we buy about 20 tuned a week any one shutting the egr down is not selling tunes any more end of story. and we deal with larger trucks not only eco

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I'm not arguing, I'm just saying what you posted is incorrect.

Did you call SFT? Look at their website and see for yourself, you are very wrong.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I would not buy any thing from them plain and simple if they r tuning they r not shutting down the egr system the dealers here will to even sell complete sets of delete pipes any more

Last edited:

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Again you are wrong! Just because you are an SFT hater you should not lie.

I repeat for anyone reading this post, that the carlhenry post #10 above is incorrect, that SFT is a legitimate vendor selling legitimate tunes in the USA.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
END OF STORY I DONT HAVE 2 PROVE ANY THING U BYU WHAT U WANT I WILL BUY WHAT WORKS

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Carl,
I agree and respect your opinion and feelings about SFT. All I ask is don't lie or post fake news.
Cheers!

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
A hole melted in your intake manifold. The same exact thing happened to me this past Labor Day . Limp mode, white smoke under the hood, hissing from the manifold on restart. Truck was towed to dealer and the problem was a hole melted through the intake. A fairly common problem. It should be covered under warranty.