• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

R.I.P. EcoDiesel / NEVER EV

MXDPA

Aug 16, 2017
Truck Year
My 2016 RAM EcoDiesel destroyed itself 2 days ago. First I felt a vibration then a minute later the oil pressure gauge fell to zero. I pulled off the road immediately and found I had lost all the engine oil. Once AAA got it home I pulled the oil filter and found it to be full of chunks of metal.
I have been faithful with oil changes before it needed it, using Rotella T6 and Mopar filters.
I am now have a very hard time finding anyone to replace my engine. I will probably find an engine and replace it myself.
To make matters worst, while searching the web, I came across a video of a car show that had someone from Chrysler saying that they will discontinue the EcoDiesel at the end of 2023 and start producing EV trucks! I was furious! I'm done with Chysler!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
The trend right now is EV for sure.. but, still years away. Either way, these motors will last forever and be one of the best you've ever had, or the worst. There really is no in between sadly.

MXDPA

Aug 16, 2017
Truck Year
The trend right now is EV for sure.. but, still years away. Either way, these motors will last forever and be one of the best you've ever had, or the worst. There really is no in between sadly.
It was great and I really loved the truck up until the minute it destroyed itself.

SeanPwnery

Nov 30, 2022
Truck Year
Next year's model is getting the Straight-6 Hurricane engine. In all honesty, it's a smart move. Thanks to the EPA clearly proving it has no clue how diesel engines work, the diesel engine's days are numbered being deliberately poisoned with EGR valves. I bought mine back in September, and in all honesty, I'm at a crossroads - should have I went Cummins, or should I have waited for the new Hurricane? Oh well, I'm stuck with this one for 6 years.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Next year's model is getting the Straight-6 Hurricane engine. In all honesty, it's a smart move. Thanks to the EPA clearly proving it has no clue how diesel engines work, the diesel engine's days are numbered being deliberately poisoned with EGR valves. I bought mine back in September, and in all honesty, I'm at a crossroads - should have I went Cummins, or should I have waited for the new Hurricane? Oh well, I'm stuck with this one for 6 years.
I don't think "the diesel engine's days are numbered", fossil diesel fuel days are numbered. Now that we have renewable diesel capabilities the diesel engine can exist into the woke green future. Here in Califunny the 76 stations (Phillips66 and Conoco) now offer renewable diesel. I have switched to it.

Renewable diesel is a 100% biomass product (it is not biodiesel), totally compatible with fossil diesel. 80+ octane *the federal minimum cetane standard is 40), cleaner burning, minimal emissions, and has the potential to eliminate the need for our EGR/DPF system.

Here's a good read by a company making/refining renewable diesel Renewable Diesel

MXDPA

Aug 16, 2017
Truck Year
I came across a video from Recklessmotorsportsusa YouTube channel that talks about the crank issues with the EcoDiesel. Their solution is building a stronger crank shaft and rebuilding engines with them. I was very hopeful to hear that someone is actually wanting to offer a fix instead of just doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome. Wondering if anyone else has had experience with this company? I have contacted them and waiting for info from them so I can have a path forward to getting my truck back on the road.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I came across a video from Recklessmotorsportsusa YouTube channel that talks about the crank issues with the EcoDiesel. Their solution is building a stronger crank shaft and rebuilding engines with them. I was very hopeful to hear that someone is actually wanting to offer a fix instead of just doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome. Wondering if anyone else has had experience with this company? I have contacted them and waiting for info from them so I can have a path forward to getting my truck back on the road.
You should do some searching about that company. There's a lot of hate and bad reviews, then again there are good reports and reviews. Very controversial.

MXDPA

Aug 16, 2017
Truck Year
You should do some searching about that company. There's a lot of hate and bad reviews, then again there are good reports and reviews. Very controversial.
Mr. Jensen, I just read all of the posts on Ram1500Diesel.com which included some posts from you. All they were arguing about was the different tune companies. I am trying to find a more reliable engine. There was no mention of engine failures or solutions. I have Sofa King tune installed on my 2016 EcoDiesel and had no issues with the stage 1 with all the emissions parts in place. I put at least 40k miles with the stage 1. With 140k miles I went to stage 2 and removed EGR, DPF, & DEF. After about 1500 miles the engine destroyed itself. When I heard Randy's solution for the engine failure, I thought it made a lot of sense. Up to now, his seems to be my best bet.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Mr. Jensen, I just read all of the posts on Ram1500Diesel.com which included some posts from you. All they were arguing about was the different tune companies. I am trying to find a more reliable engine. There was no mention of engine failures or solutions. I have Sofa King tune installed on my 2016 EcoDiesel and had no issues with the stage 1 with all the emissions parts in place. I put at least 40k miles with the stage 1. With 140k miles I went to stage 2 and removed EGR, DPF, & DEF. After about 1500 miles the engine destroyed itself. When I heard Randy's solution for the engine failure, I thought it made a lot of sense. Up to now, his seems to be my best bet.
He may be your only bet as I have not heard of anyone else modding the engine crank. I thought the crank failures were due to its bearing failures. So if he fixes bearing issues on a stronger crank that would be wonderful. Let us know your progress and how it turns out. Randy could use some positive reports.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
As a former machinist and well versed in vibration principles, high speed balancing and predictive/preventative maintenance I feel a PROPER failure analysis of a decent cross sampling of engines is necessary for a proper reasoning of ECODIESEL failures. I've read of line bore problems, crankshaft flex, carbon/soot in oil gallies, all guesses and not very good ones without failure analysis.

Tito1776

Sep 2, 2021
Truck Year
My 2016 RAM EcoDiesel destroyed itself 2 days ago. First I felt a vibration then a minute later the oil pressure gauge fell to zero. I pulled off the road immediately and found I had lost all the engine oil. Once AAA got it home I pulled the oil filter and found it to be full of chunks of metal.
I have been faithful with oil changes before it needed it, using Rotella T6 and Mopar filters.
I am now have a very hard time finding anyone to replace my engine. I will probably find an engine and replace it myself.
To make matters worst, while searching the web, I came across a video of a car show that had someone from Chrysler saying that they will discontinue the EcoDiesel at the end of 2023 and start producing EV trucks! I was furious! I'm done with Chysler!
I lost mine due to massive back-pressure. Sudden, and not one other thing wrong with the entire truck. Now, stuck with a 14-16K bill for an engine job. Odometer has 148K on it. I bought it with 98K and changed oil , kept DEF out of danger zone, and never put more than 3K lbs behind the truck.

Furious, disgusted, and only keeping this truck right up until the new engine warranty is about to expire. MASSIVE FINANCIAL LOSS.

SeanPwnery

Nov 30, 2022
Truck Year
I don't think "the diesel engine's days are numbered", fossil diesel fuel days are numbered. Now that we have renewable diesel capabilities the diesel engine can exist into the woke green future. Here in Califunny the 76 stations (Phillips66 and Conoco) now offer renewable diesel. I have switched to it.

Renewable diesel is a 100% biomass product (it is not biodiesel), totally compatible with fossil diesel. 80+ octane *the federal minimum cetane standard is 40), cleaner burning, minimal emissions, and has the potential to eliminate the need for our EGR/DPF system.

Here's a good read by a company making/refining renewable diesel Renewable Diesel

I'd like to see that - what's the timeframe of that going national?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I'd like to see that - what's the timeframe of that going national?
It's not a national thing. It's up to the fuel companies as to when and where. Washington state now has a huge renewable refinery near the Canadian border but to date has no distribution. There are scattered locations that only distribute to trucking fleets. Neste My is in the process of building a large refinery in California, not sure if they are doing that in other states. You would have to do some Google research to find when or where nationally..

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
As a former machinist and well versed in vibration principles, high speed balancing and predictive/preventative maintenance I feel a PROPER failure analysis of a decent cross sampling of engines is necessary for a proper reasoning of ECODIESEL failures. I've read of line bore problems, crankshaft flex, carbon/soot in oil gallies, all guesses and not very good ones without failure analysis.

Caveman I Hear Ya, the facts are bedplate engines are unforgiving when it come to rotating mass... every spec needs to be dead-on and VM Motori about $500+ million in production upgrades to MFG to current industry standards.

Jager

Apr 26, 2019
Truck Year
I'm done with them as well. Just had a used motor put in my GC last week after it blew Xmas eve of '21! Very hard to get this motor and I'm having issues already.

MXDPA

Aug 16, 2017
Truck Year
He may be your only bet as I have not heard of anyone else modding the engine crank. I thought the crank failures were due to its bearing failures. So if he fixes bearing issues on a stronger crank that would be wonderful. Let us know your progress and how it turns out. Randy could use some positive repo
He may be your only bet as I have not heard of anyone else modding the engine crank. I thought the crank failures were due to its bearing failures. So if he fixes bearing issues on a stronger crank that would be wonderful. Let us know your progress and how it turns out. Randy could use some positive reports.
It's now been 5 months that my truck has been out of service. I bought a car lift to raise the cab which makes the job so much easier. I then ordered a Gen 3 engine from Randy (Recklessmotorsportsusa). The setbacks were too numerous to get into, however I finally have a Gen 3 (salvage) engine that Randy retrofitted to work in my 2016 Gen2 truck. It seems to run fine so for, but I now have several electronic issues. Cruise control and A/C blower are not working (can't get the A/C recharged). The tire pressure screen and oil temp/oil pressure/ coolant temp/ trans temp screen in the dash cluster are no longer there. I have messages to have the electronic brake sysyem, air bag system & trailer brake system serviced. I understand that all of these issues stem from the Body Control Module. I have checked, double & triple checked the wire harnesses & connections. Fuses are good. I bought an OBDLink MX+, but the electronic stuff is my weak point. I read the discussions on another site (which included some from you) about using AlphaOBD app to reset the BCM, but everyone was talking about changing lights and such things. Is it possible to get back the things I lost with this AlphaOBD and my OBDLink MX+? I'm at the end of my rope!!

Last edited by a moderator:

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
As far as I know you would be the first person to report using a 2020+ motor in a 2019 or earlier truck if that is what you are saying.

MXDPA

Aug 16, 2017
Truck Year
As far as I know you would be the first person to report using a 2020+ motor in a 2019 or earlier truck if that is what you are saying.
Yes - I didn't want to go back with an engine that could have the same crank bearing failure as I had with my 2016 Gen 2.