• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Recall EGR cooler - susceptible to thermal fatique

steelhead

Apr 18, 2021
Truck Year
Hello everyone . I bought my 2016 RAM Ecodiesel Limited - used in 2020 with shy of 100000. I didn't do my homework before buying it. And I just found out that in 2019 was a recall for the EGR cooler that was not fixed. Appears that it may cause fire , like Ecoburndup mentioned it in 2019. Im trying to have it fixed my dealer , before mine catches fire as well. for last 3 month the dealer is delaying me again and again saying that there are no parts available. or cannot get the parts from CF. Is this something that anyone of you experienced before ?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
There are a lot of owners reporting that their dealers do not have the parts. My dealer had parts.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
My EGR is leaking, dealer put me on a waiting list... its time to do the delete, I can buy the kit and physically do it myself, but the tuning is my question. Where and who? I have the GDE 2.0 tuner, will that help me retune? do I even have to retune? can I buy a new tuner kit? Can I buy a new ECU and just swap them? Any Ideas or help would be great, I topping off the coolant daily, I tried Aluma Seal to no avail.

thanks

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I'm wondering how the dickens they can issue a recall and get away with not supplying the parts,, I've been on a supposed waiting list for over a year, meantime I'm running my stage 1 tune waiting for a fix. Makes me wonder what the hell the EPA can do, or does there need to be another class action suit.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
I'm wondering how the dickens they can issue a recall and get away with not supplying the parts,, I've been on a supposed waiting list for over a year, meantime I'm running my stage 1 tune waiting for a fix. Makes me wonder what the hell the EPA can do, or does there need to be another class action suit.
What firm handled the last suit?
through no fault of my own my truck has been rendered unusable.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
If the manufacturers were held accountable for their follies they would fix stuff & hold their suppliers accountable. It's just not right when you spend that kind of money & then can't use it for it's intended purpose. End users should be able to make necessary changes without effecting their warranties. My truck is a 2017, it stickered for almost $53,000.00 when new, I bought it December 31, 2019 with 14,343 miles for $30,000.00, I've had zero issues, but I did do an SFT stg 1 tune at around 17,000 because I knew we had daily trips of about 250 miles per day for 6 straight weeks to get the wifes cancer treatments, it did awesome, we did well over 20,000 miles last year, the rig has nearly 42,ooo right now.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
I love my truck, don't get me wrong, I have 160K on it now and its like new, I've kept up with all the maintenance, except changing the trans fluid, which Ive recently learned should be changed at 50K intervals. I bought the new pan and the crazy expensive fluid, but Im afraid... its working perfectly and if I try to "make it better" I always end up worse off. I just dropped it off at the dealer ( it was full of coolant when I left the house and 15 miles later it was empty) for the leaking EGR cooler, if they can fix it under recall Ill let them do it, but if they want one penny Ill do the delete, for $1000.00 at a local diesel shop. My guess is they will claim its leaking elsewhere so they can charge me something, and oh by the way lets change the cooler.

jeepguy

Nov 1, 2018
Truck Year
I finally got my truck into the dealer to get the new EGR installed earlier this year. But it sure seems the truck when towing, gets hotter faster/easier after the install than before? Anyone else experienced this?

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
I have a GDE 2.0 with trans tune, I had to specify not to reflash my ecu. Turned out it wasn’t the EGR cooler, it was a turbo cooling line under the intake. It has a short piece of hose in the middle of 2 hardliners, the hose bakes between the block and the intake manifold and cracks and fails. All of them will. It’s a 300 dollar Part and it’s unavailable, I found one on E bay used for 35.00, the dealer surprised me and installed a used part from another source. $1500.00
So I still have my EGR setup. Truck spent almost 2 weeks at the dealer, took one day once I handed them the part they couldn’t supply.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I've read of some folks replacing just the hose with a piece of silicone heater hose & proper hose clamps(full circle), parts cost was less than 20 bucks IIRC.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
I've read of some folks replacing just the hose with a piece of silicone heater hose & proper hose clamps(full circle), parts cost was less than 20 bucks IIRC.
I wanted to have a piece of steel braided line clamped In, service writer said they couldn’t install it if I did that to it. I don’t have a diesel mechanic I trust, and some diesel shops won’t touch the Eco.

T Bone

Oct 27, 2016
Truck Year
Hello everyone . I bought my 2016 RAM Ecodiesel Limited - used in 2020 with shy of 100000. I didn't do my homework before buying it. And I just found out that in 2019 was a recall for the EGR cooler that was not fixed. Appears that it may cause fire , like Ecoburndup mentioned it in 2019. Im trying to have it fixed my dealer , before mine catches fire as well. for last 3 month the dealer is delaying me again and again saying that there are no parts available. or cannot get the parts from CF. Is this something that anyone of you experienced before ?
Just keep an eye on your coolant level. If the egr leaks you will notice a fluid loss. Then you shouldn't drive it.

Mayet1

Oct 26, 2021
Truck Year
Due to citcumstances, I could not get my truck in for the intercooler recall, so I removed the inlet coolant line on the intercooler and put a blank off plate there temporarily so no cooling fluid went into the intercooler. It ran fine for the last 9 months until I could get it to the dealer. No problems with heat. The dealer removed the plate and did the recall, so the leak issue should be now resolved

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
Due to citcumstances, I could not get my truck in for the intercooler recall, so I removed the inlet coolant line on the intercooler and put a blank off plate there temporarily so no cooling fluid went into the intercooler. It ran fine for the last 9 months until I could get it to the dealer. No problems with heat. The dealer removed the plate and did the recall, so the leak issue should be now resolved
Outstanding, can you send a couple pics of exactly what you capped off?
when you say intercooler I’m assuming the EGR cooler?

Brianwheeler64

Oct 4, 2019
Truck Year
10/31/2019 my 2018 Eco-Diesel EGR imploded, even melted intake manifold. After 55 days in shop, they gave me my truck back. 5 weeks later engine completely seized up. 39 days later it came home with a new engine. RAM said the truck didn't qualify for their BuyBack Program. (03/03/2020) 1 week prior to owning it for 18 months, I file a Lemon Law case against RAM. Their NY attorneys tried to tell me it didn't qualify for Lemon Law. I sent them a copy of Virginia's Lemon Law. (07/13/2021) 17 months later they agreed to "BuyBack" my truck. I'm still waiting. They will slowplay you to see if you will give up. They are luck COVID happened because it cancelled our schedule jury trial in Aug of 2019. Next not available until 2022, sometime. Beautiful Truck, SHITTY RAM Corporation.

Big ram Sam

Oct 27, 2021
Truck Year
Yes, I waited over 3 months too, waiting for the dealership to call me in for the service request and wasn't until I called and said that my truck started to run very hot and I had concerns with my truck overheating that I suggested I wanted my thermostat checked and serviced or replaced stating that it might be malfunctioning, and that's when the dealership was ready to do something once I gave them a reason to have them check my truck and on that day they did the recall service

Mayet1

Oct 26, 2021
Truck Year
Outstanding, can you send a couple pics of exactly what you capped off?
when you say intercooler I’m assuming the EGR cooler?
I dont have any pic's but yes, it was the lines to the EGR cooler. It wasnt really hard to get at once you remove the engine cover. They are located on the passenger side of the engine and hook directly to the EGR cooler. I just removed both lines, made up a thin plate the same size as the line flange from a bit of metal and blocked the EGR cooler lines. Reattached and sure to check for leaks after reassembly ( run the engine hot) and ONLY use the recommended antifreeze when you top up the rad.