• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

regen

Claude Portugie

Nov 5, 2018
Truck Year
Hi all
thank you for having this forum.
I have a 2017 ecodiesel Laramie 34000km
can anyone tell me if a manual regen is possible?
also which obd reader is the best for this truck.

Thank you

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
1-can anyone tell me if a manual regen is possible?
Edge Insight CTS2 will do it. However, Edge has yet to program it for the 2017
2-also which obd reader is the best for this truck.
OBDLink MX Scanner is best (because it will scan all modules) & is the most expensive.
"Best" really depends on what you want to do with it.

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
1-can anyone tell me if a manual regen is possible?
Edge Insight CTS2 will do it. However, Edge has yet to program it for the 2017
2-also which obd reader is the best for this truck.
OBDLink MX Scanner is best (because it will scan all modules) & is the most expensive.
"Best" really depends on what you want to do with it.

Hey John,

I’ve heard that you can do a stationary regen with the alphaobd software, and an MX Bluetooth scanner.

I also heard that in their next update you will be able to start a regen while driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hey John,

I’ve heard that you can do a stationary regen with the alphaobd software, and an MX Bluetooth scanner.

I also heard that in their next update you will be able to start a regen while driving.

Good info.. looks like it's for Windows and/or Android software. Looks like $49 for the cost, and the adapter is here: http://www.alfaobd.com/index.html

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Hey John,

It can program Active Regen while stationary, It cannot program Stationary de-soot, Big difference, Only WITech 2.0 for all De-sooting.

But for the price the alpha OBD is great.

Bgbdwlf2500

Jun 24, 2018
Truck Year
Hi all

Thank you
I use a foseal obd interface from Amazon which is around 20. I was introduced to alfaobd last week and it will force a regen even at idle. It is basically a factory diagnostic tool, well worth the 50 bucks from what I can tell and we have 2 FCA cars so even better for me

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mike5034

Jan 6, 2019
Truck Year
From what i have sern it kills warranty . U can do it but the future repait bills are now on u. From what i have read

Zigi

Mar 21, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2018 with 11,000km and my regen just came on 90%. My 2015 Ram 1500 would come one every 1500km religiously and my 2016 Ram 1500 I only had it come one once at about 20,000km. What was weird about my 2015 is that it would always regen after I did anywhere from a 2 hour to 9 hour highway trip. Anyways, my regen came on today and I couldn't get on the highway so I sat in the driveway at 2500 RPM for less than 10 minutes and it cleared it. Smelled funny for a while. Then I let it idle for a few minutes to cool down. Don't know if it needed it or not. That took less time than the usually 15 to 20 minute runs on the highway to clear the code. So I guess I would have to say it worked
Hi all

Thank you

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You just need to set the parking Brake place ED in (N) and run above 1000 RPMS.

If you have the monitor (Banks CTS ETC ) just watch your DPF temps (Not EGT temps) temps raise to 1200-1300.

Unless you can place the vehicle into stationary de-soot 1000-1500 RPMs is the sweet spot for Active Regens or the Message count-down

EcoDieselDilbeck

Dec 5, 2020
Truck Year

AlaskanViper

Feb 20, 2022
Truck Year
You just need to set the parking Brake place ED in (N) and run above 1000 RPMS.

If you have the monitor (Banks CTS ETC ) just watch your DPF temps (Not EGT temps) temps raise to 1200-1300.

Unless you can place the vehicle into stationary de-soot 1000-1500 RPMs is the sweet spot for Active Regens or the Message count-down

View attachment 1923
Im new to this community and I’m an old school diesel mechanic so all this new diesel tech, I’m still learning and I literally bought a 2015 1500 Ecodiesel yesterday and it was already in limp mode before I even left the dealership. Of course it would happen on the weekend when their service deptartment is closed and I have to wait until Monday. Reading this thread, if what you’ve said is how I can “reset” the regen and get it out of limp mode and clear the DTC CEL, I’ll just go to the dealership in a few hours and do it and bring my truck home. I’d like to point out also that the filter was at 100% already and screen said dealer required service. Am I still able to do this method or is when it’s 100% full, the dealer is the only way to clear this and initiate a Regen?

Last edited:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You need Alfa and OBD II, Limp mode with no Message of DPF at What %.....? I would recommend if possible, returning and ask to buy back... refund. Why did you leave t Dealership with defective Truck?

AlaskanViper

Feb 20, 2022
Truck Year
You need Alfa and OBD II, Limp mode with no Message of DPF at What %.....? I would recommend if possible, returning and ask to buy back... refund. Why did you leave t Dealership with defective Truck?
Sorry I misspoke when I said I hadn’t left the dealership. What I meant was I hadn’t left the property just yet. LoL I was literally driving away from the building and the 100% filter full message popped up and the drive by wire CEL started flashing before I reached the end of the property. It hadn’t popped up before during the test drive and only happened when I was leaving.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
WOW... ask (Demand) to cancel the deal You are looking (likely) at $3-8K in repairs...

AlaskanViper

Feb 20, 2022
Truck Year
WOW... ask (Demand) to cancel the deal You are looking (likely) at $3-8K in repairs...
So the vehicle is beyond completing regen if it’s in limp mode already and has to get repaired? (She’s got bumper to bumper warranty and this happened before getting down the road)

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The question is Why it went into that mode......Its used vehicle with Bumper to Bumper.. What's the conditions...? Did you do any research on VM 3.0 prior to buying, the engine has a quagmire of issues.

AlaskanViper

Feb 20, 2022
Truck Year
The question is Why it went into that mode......Its used vehicle with Bumper to Bumper.. What's the conditions...? Did you do any research on VM 3.0 prior to buying, the engine has a quagmire of issues.
I can only assume that it went into limp mode because the exhaust filter was at 100%. As far as issues with the powertrain, this truck had a very detailed history report with no major issues other than recalls being performed.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
So... Did it come with Oil analysis Report like the attachment? If not your detail report means it only has not had repairs and it certainly means nothing about future repair(s)...

Attachments

• Blackstone_12_9_20_2015_3.0_ecodiesel.pdf
    62.7 KB · Views: 3