• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Replacement engine for 2014 ecodiesel

Cavsbestfan

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
Hey Everyone new to the forum here so bare with me lol I have a lot of questions.
So I had my engine replaced for the first time at 82,000 miles. Took the dealer a month replace. First day I have it back to drive to work the check engine light comes on, had to have the cat converter and a injector for the def fluid system replaced. Does the def fluid system have an injector in the system?? Also, the dealer put a reman engine in my truck. How long will the reman engine last?? I live in Ohio so it can get pretty cold up here! Engine was covered with factory warranty, I had 18 days left before it expired. Truck was a loaner before I bought it. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome to the group yes the injector is in front of the dpf on the driver side to remove it takes I bolt take it off put in pot of hot water and clean all the caked on salt off of it depending who rebuilt the engine it may last longer than the factory one

Cavsbestfan

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
welcome to the group yes the injector is in front of the dpf on the driver side to remove it takes I bolt take it off put in pot of hot water and clean all the caked on salt off of it depending who rebuilt the engine it may last longer than the factory one
Thanks for the reply. How do I find out who rebuilt the reman engine I got??

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
call the dealer who installed it and play dum ask them about a engine then ask who rebuilds them

Cavsbestfan

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
call the dealer who installed it and play dum ask them about a engine then ask who rebuilds them
Sounds good. I had to drop my truck off at the dealer on 11/15 because the check engine light came on again. I’ll ask when I stop in there to pick it up. Getting tired dealing with all of these issues since the engine was replaced. I didn’t have one issue with the truck until the engine blew.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
get a code reader to check for yourself so the dealer can't screw you u have a eco u defiantly need a code reader

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Cheap simple Bosch OB1000 scan tool, code reader, basic code remover available online cheap can be a great help to keep from having to bring it to the dealership for unnecessary friskings of your wallet from trivial stuff.

If you didn't have to pay for that motor you got a brand new engine. But 18 days left before expires throws me off. You should have full powertrain warranty until you reach 100,000 miles. If you did the AEM and took the $3,000 check all your emissions related stuff is under warranty much longer.

Emissions stuff is typically what is and causes the problems with these engines. With a tune, proper maintenance, and emissions crap removed or at least the EGR turned off these engines can last a very long time. My first went 371,000 until the EGR cooler (emissions) leaked my coolant causing an overheat which took out a head gasket. My second engine has 247k on it. I have had the truck since new, may of 2014, use it to tow commercially and often help folks and post as a moderator over at the ram1500diesel forum so I've been deep into them since the beginning.

Picking a dealership that has at least one certified diesel mechanic that was specifically trained on this motor can be of Hugh value to you if your truck develops a problem. Somebody that can actually figure out what is causing the problem and fix it right instead of just throwing parts at it at either your or FCA's expense as they blindly follow WiTech's (FCA's scantool) readings.

Cavsbestfan

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
I was told by the dealer the factory warranty is either 5 years or 100 thousand miles. I was only at 82k when the engine blew up but only had 18 days left for my factory warranty. Truck was bought sept 30th 2014. I’ll have to buy the scan tool. Basically what I’ve gathered from this forum so far is it seems to me that the truck is better off for highway use. Not to go around town to run errands.

what is the AEM and what $3000 check are you talking about??

What emissions stuff should I remove? And what kind of tune up do you suggest to run??

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Gotcha on the 18 days. Wow you were fortunate there. Also that the ED has the 100k warranty instead of the 60k that the gassers get.

AEM is the government/ law suit settlement retune (detune) and up to $3,075 that 2014 through 2016 trucks qualify for. If you never got notification then see your dealer. Basically they retune both your engine control module and the transmission control module aka a tune. Supposed to be better for the environment which actually is debatable but at any rate it’s not so good for your truck.

That being what it is many allow the dealership to do the AEM tune and then take their check and buy the tunes (now from an out of country such as Canada tuner company) and get a cleaner running more powerful & fuel efficient truck then the stock original usually with the added benefit of an exhaust brake plus other benefits. (Great If you tow a travel trailer etc especially over mountain grades etc) The tune includes software that turns off your EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) a proven needless and engine destructive government mandated emissions device.

There are at least 3 companies based or with affiliations out of country providing them but I only have a link for this one. Maybe something else has a link for others.

Cavsbestfan

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
I’ll ask the dealer when I pick up my truck, should I ask ram corporate? I have a case manager involved because the dealership I took my truck to when the engine blew up has given me terrible service every time I’ve stopped up or called. Also, will the tune help make my engine and transmission longer?? Sorry for so many questions, I’m a newb when it comes to this stuff lol.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
You can. You might need your vin. There is also a website about it but I don't have the link. Are you the original owner? If not perhaps someone did it ahead of you but certainly its worth checking out. Well an engine with less soot & carbon deposits in its oil surely isn't going to wear out bearings and such quicker. May not have been what caused your bearings to slip or engine to fail but a clean well tuned engine couldn't hurt. A dirty sooty engine can cause different problems that eventually require maintenance or repair. Some suggest its what has lead to some of these intake fires that have burned down trucks. Getting a tune on a new engine like you have is ideal IMO. If it were mine I would consider buying a tune and have it in hand so that once the AEM is loaded I could change it. Then you get reimbursed so to speak when the check arrives 6ish weeks later.

Here is the code reader I use. Its stone simple anyone can use it. Bosch is also the company that makes our injectors and was involved in designing our trucks engine management software as best I understand it. Cost about $50.

The friendly and well respected attorney above was eventually permanently booted off ram1500diesel forum for repeatedly violating the site rules, ignoring mod team warnings and never ending complaints from members who he was often in pissing matches with. You might gather that from how mr sour grapes entered your thread. He has been in scuttle butts here and on other truck forums as well. Lots of people on multiple forums have him on their ignore list. I guess arguing is what lawyers do by trade. I believe he was involved with likely compensated for getting people to sign up for law suits beyond the class action law suit. I believe this is why he was on every ecodiesel and diesel truck forum stirring the pot and covertly soliciting, as to my knowledge he never paid advertising or vendors fees to the forums. He did state on here what good luck he had with his personal ED perhaps now that he has a gas truck he will find something else to do but I doubt it.

Last edited:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I find it Odd that the Dealership would have prfromed repairs W/O AEM update..Cavs You need to investigate.

I use to run VIN's for owners until I was asked no longer to do, unless the History is required for repairs.

Cavsbestfan

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year

Cavsbestfan

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
I find it Odd that the Dealership would have prfromed repairs W/O AEM update..Cavs You need to investigate.

I use to run VIN's for owners until I was asked no longer to do, unless the History is required for repairs.
How can I run the vin to see if there was an AEM tune??

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Would my extended warranty also be voided???

Yes.. And I will add this.

Factory warranty Voided emissions

Maybe I can clear this UP, GM All makers Must meet the certification REQUIRED by Federal Law. The instant YOU delete / defeat ON/OFF road use (The only exception to this law is Race or off road competition) GM or your Dealer cannot (legally) even repair the Vehicle if it has State Plates.
Enforcement is the issue, Many times action is NOT taken when the warranty is voided, This is the parties involved discretion, MAKE NO mistake YOUR warranty is voided the instant you make defeat or delete steps to any component that’s needed to meet the certification.
Enforcement is the major part of any Law, if No enforcement then it’s a statement, if the parties involved decided to enforce the law it is now binding and absolute.

Your warranty cannot be Voided on all component's that have NO bridge or connection, Example NEW radio cannot void suspension components, but it sure can void ALL electronic communications. Enforcement is the key Part of any law or warranty. When disagreements arise, they are generally decided by arbitration or Judge.
This statement is close to 10 Years old.

Cavsbestfan

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
YES. the Dealership should be willing, the vehicle is in need of repairs.
Just called the dealer and asked the service writer I’ve been dealing with to look into it for me. I find this all very interesting.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yes...……...Cavs kinda eye opening that's for Sure.