• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Service electronic throttle control.????

Buzzn6

Feb 12, 2021
Truck Year
I have 2014 ram ED it is fully deleted as well as Banks throttle delete and aluminum intake with swirl flap delete. Has SFT tune and ran perfectly for 4600 miles now I have this generic message. I just found a crack in the elbow from the turbo to the down pipe. Has anyone else had this message and limp mode from a leak here? I have replaced throttle pedal, cleaned MAP sensor and don’t know what else to check.

Buzzn6

Feb 12, 2021
Truck Year
Well the leak has to be fixed I just hope it takes care of my problem. Truck has been down too long and I need it. I can’t believe how little is know about these engines for the length of time they have been out. i will update after the repair in case it helps someone else later.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I would assume it’s in limp mode due to the crack. Does it throw a code?

Buzzn6

Feb 12, 2021
Truck Year
No CEL just the message “service electronic throttle control “

Buzzn6

Feb 12, 2021
Truck Year
Finally got the problem fixed. Smoked tested the exhaust system and found a crack in the pipe at the turbo. Replaced the elbow and cured the problem.

Rickhead

Jun 25, 2021
Truck Year
Finally got the problem fixed. Smoked tested the exhaust system and found a crack in the pipe at the turbo. Replaced the elbow and cured the problem.
I just got the same message today. Fully deleted and tuned. I just did a muffle delete on this truck. Maybe a loose connection needing retorqued or something? Hopefully? I didn't even think of checking my exhaust from a throttle body . Mine has the cel on and says service electronic throttle body and is also in limp mode. Without this I wouldn't have thought to check the exhaust. Thank you

ICF Guy

Aug 8, 2018
Truck Year
No CEL just the message “service electronic throttle control “
The exact same thing happened to me on my 2014 fully deleted ecodiesel a couple of months ago. I had my mechanic son-in-law delete any codes he found and everything has been normal since. In my experience, most of the codes are false alarms, and result in losts of owners getting big bills for replacing parts unnecessarily.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Had it happen yesterday to me, no codes, few in the bcm for random stuff. Reset and good to go

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I have 2014 ram ED it is fully deleted as well as Banks throttle delete and aluminum intake with swirl flap delete. Has SFT tune and ran perfectly for 4600 miles now I have this generic message. I just found a crack in the elbow from the turbo to the down pipe. Has anyone else had this message and limp mode from a leak here? I have replaced throttle pedal, cleaned MAP sensor and don’t know what else to check.
That generic message presages a code, but the message is thrown by a plethora of conditions. One of which is Low Turbo Boost which would be the code caused by the crack in the turbo tube. Your delete program may have short circuited the Low Boost code but not the Service Electronic Throttle message.
My experience with this message is that 99% of the time it is a false alarm, or loose connection, since installing the GDE tune this message has not occurred.

EcoLeesiel

Oct 2, 2018
Truck Year
Just wondering why the SETC message would pop up on a Stage 2 tune with throttle delete. I thought deleting the stock electronic throttle for the Banks throttle delete and having the tuner remove it from ECM would make it impossible for any DTC's regarding the Electronic Throttle Control let alone the dreaded SERVICE ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL. Any input would be much appreciated!

Cheers

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Just wondering why the SETC message would pop up on a Stage 2 tune with throttle delete. I thought deleting the stock electronic throttle for the Banks throttle delete and having the tuner remove it from ECM would make it impossible for any DTC's regarding the Electronic Throttle Control let alone the dreaded SERVICE ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL. Any input would be much appreciated!

Cheers
As I mentioned earlier, plethora of circumstances, Low Turbo Boost is one of the causes, Incorrect Mass Airflow Sensor reading, Incorrect Mass Atmospheric Pressure reading, VVTC loss of communications, Injector Flow Low/Higher than anticipated, all these plus many others can cause the dreaded SETC. All of your deletion and programing could not eliminate all the possible causes for this message. You should scan for stored codes, I have found that the last, not the first, code is where you start your diagnosis correction.

Good Luck.

greatwhiterev

Aug 18, 2022
Truck Year
same message 2 days ago on fully deleted and tuned 2014 ed. cleaned map sensor but cant get out of limp mode. I'm thinking i will need to clear out CEL and hopefully get running

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
same message 2 days ago on fully deleted and tuned 2014 ed. cleaned map sensor but cant get out of limp mode. I'm thinking i will need to clear out CEL and hopefully get running
At my last count the Service Electronic Throttle Control message was triggered by 88 engine control situations. I do not know the capabilities of your local tuner to catch each and everyone of these situations. But I will say you need to have a real time date scanner with DTC clear capabilities and write down each code from the first to the last and then start checking the last to the first code. I have only failed in clearing DTC's with my alfa once, a FCA Perform Maintenance message on a 2017. It is probably an FCA Hard Code for emissions testing that can only be reset by WiTech tool at dealer.

jpezz

May 26, 2021
Truck Year
I had the service electronic throttle control light come on. I am not sure if any codes were associated with it because I used Alphaobd to clear them. The truck was in limp mode. It did not throw any more codes which was frustrating. I finally decided to try a new MAF. Sure enough that fixed it. Truck feels faster than it has for a while so not sure how long the MAF may have been slowing me down. My truck is stage 2 tuned with SFT. 94k miles.

willypeters124

Nov 1, 2023
Truck Year
Had the exact same problem. It was just a bad connection. Just check the plugs on the front left side under the fender. There's a few plugs, just check them all.

willypeters124

Nov 1, 2023
Truck Year
I had my truck at a mechanic to replace the head gasket, but wasn’t too happy when I noticed that message in the dash, the fan was going full blast, and limp mode was on. Luckily the fix was very simple, I noticed that two of the connections close to the fuel pump are the exact same. One is a coolant temperature sensor and the other one goes to the fuel pump. I switched them and haven’t seen the message since. I guess sometimes the mechanic might get the two wires switched. IMG_4259.jpeg