• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

SFT Changes

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I have been using SFT tunes since they started, however, they have made changes that are causing me to shop for a new tuner. I am posting this to alert SFT owners on the four forums where I'm a member.

1 -SFT stopped including the ability to go into cruise control below the stock tune's MPH point. They said, "We have stopped offering this feature, it causes too many issues". While disappointed I only used that feature to test if the SFT tune was in place. I can live with this change.

2-After the W58 (Tone Wheel) recall, SFT's updated tune gave me bad DEF messages and an engine light when I installed distilled water. SFT sent me a correcting tune, however, the DEF gauge no longer worked and the DEF pump no longer operated. I complained and SFT said, "We have stopped offering this feature, it causes to many issues". I want the DEF system to pump the water, and I want to know the level of fluid in the tank, like it did before the W58 updated tune. I can't live with this change. So I asked SFT to send a new tune with the DEF system operating. SFT replied, "We don't feel comfortable providing this feature anymore." So I am now shopping for a new tuner.

3-I have since noticed my exhaust manifold temps (EGT1 sensor) are higher when under load, specifically running empty, 70mph on a mountain freeway. EGT1 temp was rocking between 1000 and 1265 degrees.

4-When I asked SFT if they would buy back my tuner, they said, "We don't buy back handheld devices or transfer ownership." That change makes me a fool for telling SFT owners SFT did do transfers and how to go about it.

This is not to bash SFT, it is merely to share my experience with SFT owners.
I can no longer recommend SFT. I'm shopping.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Damn that’s a shame. I contacted them about a 6.7 tune and they said they couldn’t do it… but they do a pile of other engines. Sorry to hear about the changes!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
John, I hear Ya. But its only Time before the EPA serves SFT Judicial Notice, So, look for someone with emission intact Tuning, I suggest doing it quickly.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
John, I hear Ya. But its only Time before the EPA serves SFT Judicial Notice, So, look for someone with emission intact Tuning, I suggest doing it quickly.
There's only one, GDE. Or, go to a Canadian tuner for EGR off

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
An update on this SFT corrected tune

The manifold exhaust temp (EGT1 sensor) can easily climb to 1025 degrees local driving. Not doing any WOT just rolling up the speed it will hit that in a long block (and the truck coolant was just barely up to temp).

It could be my imagination, but it seems to hold each gear longer and the engine sounds like it wants to shift. Doesn't want to go into 8th gear, wants to stay in 6th or 7th.

Definitely different from the before W58 tune (and the defective after W58 tune.)

It's causing me to really want to change tuners. Sent them all a request on 12/20, haven't heard a word from any of them. Hard to decide what tuner when they don't respond.

So far, MRT and HDDS have been suggested, and I was to stay clear of Randy of EcodieselUSA. Except for GPUtah, He has had good results with Randy's tune and reports it gets the best mileage by 2mpg. And GDE says that MRT uses optimal remap, so it could be similar to SFT. It all makes it very tough to decide.

haln8dad

Feb 4, 2019
Truck Year
An update on this SFT corrected tune

The manifold exhaust temp (EGT1 sensor) can easily climb to 1025 degrees local driving. Not doing any WOT just rolling up the speed it will hit that in a long block (and the truck coolant was just barely up to temp).

It could be my imagination, but it seems to hold each gear longer and the engine sounds like it wants to shift. Doesn't want to go into 8th gear, wants to stay in 6th or 7th.

Definitely different from the before W58 tune (and the defective after W58 tune.)

It's causing me to really want to change tuners. Sent them all a request on 12/20, haven't heard a word from any of them. Hard to decide what tuner when they don't respond.

So far, MRT and HDDS have been suggested, and I was to stay clear of Randy of EcodieselUSA. Except for GPUtah, He has had good results with Randy's tune and reports it gets the best mileage by 2mpg. And GDE says that MRT uses optimal remap, so it could be similar to SFT. It all makes it very tough to decide.
I have also noticed the shifting issues with the latest SFT tunes (actually been dealing with it since last fall) and I have discussed this with them and they are not acknowledging the changes. I am not sure what they are trying to accomplish but I would gladly go back to the original tunes I received when they had separate tuners for engine and trans (prior to W58). Those worked very well and my truck ran better. I will be following your search for a new tuner

Last edited:

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I have also noticed the shifting issues with the latest SFT tunes and I have discussed this with them and they are not acknowledging the changes. I am not sure what they are trying to accomplish but I would gladly go back to the original tunes I received when they had separate tuners for engine and trans (prior to W58). Those worked very well and my truck ran better. I will be following your search for a new tuner
Thanks for your reply. Knowing that you are experiencing the same helps my sanity.

EARL99208

Jul 7, 2021
Truck Year
It's interesting that both of you are experiencing the same kind of things on your Ram's. It is not just a isolated incident with just one truck having the problems.

Hearing all of this definitely steers me away from getting a SFT tune.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
It's interesting that both of you are experiencing the same kind of things on your Ram's. It is not just a isolated incident with just one truck having the problems.

Hearing all of this definitely steers me away from getting a SFT tune.
Yeah, I'm definitely changing. I have it boiled down to HDDS or MRT, leaning to MRT.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I haven’t checked out HDDS yet. I should though.
I've never heard anyone complaining about their HDDS tune, that's good. Some say it's the pre EPA GDE tune, but GDE won't agree to that. They came in last for MPG when tested by GPUtah, not good. I sent them an order request on Dec 20th, have never heard back from them, that doesn't impress me.

EARL99208

Jul 7, 2021
Truck Year
I've never heard anyone complaining about their HDDS tune, that's good. Some say it's the pre EPA GDE tune, but GDE won't agree to that. They came in last for MPG when tested by GPUtah, not good. I sent them an order request on Dec 20th, have never heard back from them, that doesn't impress me.
Don’t put too much into not hearing from them considering the holidays surrounding us at this time frame.
We all want fuel mileage to be as high as possible in our Rams.

EcoDiesel USA

Jan 15, 2022
Truck Year
Damn that’s a shame. I contacted them about a 6.7 tune and they said they couldn’t do it… but they do a pile of other engines. Sorry to hear about the changes!
we do the 6.7 as well as the ecodiesel at ecodieselusa

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Don’t put too much into not hearing from them considering the holidays surrounding us at this time frame.
Well, it's Jan 15th and I still haven't heard from HDDS. In fact, I haven't heard from any tuner.
It sure makes it hard to spend my money.

EcoDiesel USA

Jan 15, 2022
Truck Year
Well, it's Jan 15th and I still haven't heard from HDDS. In fact, I haven't heard from any tuner.
It sure makes it hard to spend my money.
You should have just kept mine on order when you bought it :) I spent all Christmas sending out new files

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
You should have just kept mine on order when you bought it :) I spent all Christmas sending out new files
Yes, maybe I should have. However:
On 12/20/21, I sent you an email, you never responded.
On 12/24/21, I sent your spokesman, Dakota Mitchell a message because he said to send him a message to get your tune as a new customer for $800.00. He never responded.
So, I scratched you off my list.

EcoDiesel USA

Jan 15, 2022
Truck Year
On 12/24/21, I sent your spokesman, Dakota Mitchell a message because he said to send him a message to get your tune as a new customer for $800.00. He never responded.
I don’t have any emails unless I missed them, did you email ?

EcoDiesel USA

Jan 15, 2022
Truck Year
B
But yes it’s $800 to switch companies.