• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Should I keep this truck?

dkingpt

Aug 1, 2019
Truck Year
In April we experienced the second of the two major engine failures that plague 2016 Ecodiesels like mine. The tone ring delaminated as we were descending from Siskyou Pass on I-5. We "limped" into Yreka. Truck and travel trailer had to be towed to Redding, where it took two weeks of waiting for parts to get it repaired. The truck had 85K miles on it.
The experience was eerily similar to our experience when the EGR valve failed in August of 2019 and we waited two weeks in Sonora. That was about 50K miles ago.
There were differences. The truck never did get repaired while we waited through 100+ degree days in Sonora. We ultimately rented a U-Haul to tow the trailer 800 miles back to WA. RAM Customer Care shipped the truck to a local dealer several weeks later. Customer care was attentive and paid or refunded almost everything in 2019. In 2023 they "expedited" the parts but still haven't paid for the rental car, or returned any of my phone calls.
So, should I keep the truck? The EGR valve and tone ring are new and redesigned. It hasn't used a drop of coolant since the EGR valve was fixed. There's another recall on the high pressure fuel pump but that seems to be a much rarer occurrence.
I love the truck when it's working properly. It's a great match for our 5K pound travel trailer and I get 12-13 mpg when towing. I use it almost exclusively for long travel trailer trips to visit family in Southern CA. I change the oil about every 5K miles, no matter what oil life says.
What kind of reliability are people getting after these two problem areas are addressed?
Thanks.

TruckChick

May 29, 2020
Truck Year
You're lucky it only took 2 weeks. My truck has been at the dealership for.....? 6-7 weeks now and no word on an engine.. just that they would expedite it. RAM customer care was/is a joke.

Me personally? As soon as this truck is back it is getting traded in. I'm not going through this again.

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
Kept mine and it's towin' like a champion. I got like 12L/100km on this trip which is better than my Range Rover unladen ;)
2nd engine and fully deleted (unfortunately). However, deletes are not an option for most I guess now.
I really think it's the counter-torque or push back from the DPF that is causing all the issues with bottom end on this engine.

IMG_3639.jpg

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
In April we experienced the second of the two major engine failures that plague 2016 Ecodiesels like mine. The tone ring delaminated as we were descending from Siskyou Pass on I-5. We "limped" into Yreka. Truck and travel trailer had to be towed to Redding, where it took two weeks of waiting for parts to get it repaired. The truck had 85K miles on it.
The experience was eerily similar to our experience when the EGR valve failed in August of 2019 and we waited two weeks in Sonora. That was about 50K miles ago.
There were differences. The truck never did get repaired while we waited through 100+ degree days in Sonora. We ultimately rented a U-Haul to tow the trailer 800 miles back to WA. RAM Customer Care shipped the truck to a local dealer several weeks later. Customer care was attentive and paid or refunded almost everything in 2019. In 2023 they "expedited" the parts but still haven't paid for the rental car, or returned any of my phone calls.
So, should I keep the truck? The EGR valve and tone ring are new and redesigned. It hasn't used a drop of coolant since the EGR valve was fixed. There's another recall on the high pressure fuel pump but that seems to be a much rarer occurrence.
I love the truck when it's working properly. It's a great match for our 5K pound travel trailer and I get 12-13 mpg when towing. I use it almost exclusively for long travel trailer trips to visit family in Southern CA. I change the oil about every 5K miles, no matter what oil life says.
What kind of reliability are people getting after these two problem areas are addressed?
Thanks.
Funny, I was just at Rainier Dodge in Olympia today talking to a sales person there and he told someone with an ecoD just had a tone ring replaced as it failed while on vacation.
Just curious if it was you? If so did the dealer do a good job?

I have an appointment in late July (after the extended warranty expires) to have the tone ring and crankshaft positioning sensor done as kind of "preemptive maintenance" before I go on vacation is September.

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
My tone ring failed while on a trip from SC to Dallas. Took 3 weeks to get fixed while I sat at a campground in 110 degree heat.
Came back to SC and within another 3K miles, engine blew with 95K miles on it.
Full warranty replaced it for $100 deductible.

Love the Laramie, 2015, and will keep it and just added the 5/75K full warranty from MoPar via Ziggler and will hope it continues to work for me. I figure the $7500 is just another insurance and a lot less that an $80K replacement truck.
Just FYI

SeanPwnery

Nov 30, 2022
Truck Year
My truck has been down since December - I was bilked out of $5,300 dollars for most of the fuel system, and the problem wasn't even fixed. I still have no start, no electric fuel pump priming when turning the key, and a runaway starter when I key it to "start" until I literally spin the key back to "off." Then I got the fuel pump recall notice - a part the stealership charged me for. I filed a complaint with Ramcare back in January and heard absolutely nothing.

It has literally been a $40,000 dollar lawn ornament. By all accounts of the day it died, and what I'm experiencing, I'm thinking the entire time my truck had a tone-ring failure, but the dealership screwed me for the entire fuel system right up to the rails and injectors.

The biggest insult is the "recall fix" for tone ring failure. It didn't fix a f**king thing - it passed the buck to the cam sensor signal just so you can avoid a stall. You key off, you'll never start it again. What the f**k kind of "Fix" is that? The tone ring fix should have been an ACTUAL reluctor wheel bolted to the front of the crank like, oh, I dunno... almost every other manufacturer out there uses, with a crank position sensor relocation kit, but NOOOOOO.... FCA instead gave up on the engine and platform entirely and left us all out in the cold. Where's the federal oversight committee for that screw-job?