• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

SofaKing Tune and DEF fluid

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
When I installed my SofaKing Tune I was told you can use distilled water rather than DEF. My DEF was at about 1/3 rd of a tank, I filled it up with distilled water, took about 2 gallons drove it maybe 50 miles or so went to start it I get a CEL, and a message "wrong DEF fluid detected contact dealer", I connect my code scanner the code is unknown and not removable with my scanner. I did send a email to SofaKing waiting for a reply, the tune is great but this problem is not, leaving on a trip in 2 days, my fear it goes into limp mode, I wonder what happened here?

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
distilled water and Def what % I d0nt remember for I don't use def

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
What Year Truck, 2014-15 have no Urea Sensor Some 16&17s Do , all 2018 Have Urea sensor and the cutoff is 22%. Verified by Sag2.

If your seeing see Dealer message in the EVIC. even 2 Gallons of DW would not drop it below 22%.

We are at present developing a plug and play bypass that will allow 10% Urea 90% DW.

Yes it will start a count down, Just add some more DEF and see if the message disappears...It really not a big problem.

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
You Need Alfaobd or WItech, Alfa is about 160.00 WITech about 5000.00 and read your Urea level % .
I have the ALFa I bought a low cost one on amazon to set up a trailer brake module I added, I wonder where that is under emissions?, my big concern is keep it from going in limp mode, so tomorrow I will drain the DEF tank, add a jug of DEF and hope the CEL goes away, if not I will disconnect the battery for a hour and see if that does it with the DEF in the tank

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I have the SFT tune on my 2016 and have run 100% distilled water with no codes. This last 1800+ mile trip of 6 gals DEF and 2 gals distilled water with no codes.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I will be getting the AEM flash in the next week or so and then installing a GDE tune. Is there a problem with using DEF or is it just unnecessary?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I have the ALFa I bought a low cost one on amazon to set up a trailer brake module I added, I wonder where that is under emissions?, my big concern is keep it from going in limp mode, so tomorrow I will drain the DEF tank, add a jug of DEF and hope the CEL goes away, if not I will disconnect the battery for a hour and see if that does it with the DEF in the tank

Its in the engine menu.

DEF Snap Shot.png

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
Drained the DEF tank today, about 6-7 gallons came out, added one 2.5 gallon jug of fresh DEF, drove it runs fine, incorrect def message is gone, but still have the cel, cleared it, my scanner says no codes, cel still their added another jug of DEF the gauge never changed still on 100%, maybe it takes some time, drove it 50 miles runs good still have the cel, time will tell i guess

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Drained the DEF tank today, about 6-7 gallons came out, added one 2.5 gallon jug of fresh DEF, drove it runs fine, incorrect def message is gone, but still have the cel, cleared it, my scanner says no codes, cel still their added another jug of DEF the gauge never changed still on 100%, maybe it takes some time, drove it 50 miles runs good still have the cel, time will tell i guess

Very Odd...

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
What was your urea percentage....Ronald , you need to learn how this all Works, ( When Tuning) or you will be to no start at some point...If you cannot provide the info that is asked, members cannot help you... I'm bowing out at this point. Good Luck.

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
I never checked what my urea percentage was or is because I am done with using distilled water it will get DEF as designed, update after all this i started it after it sat for 6 hours the CEL is gone so back to normal.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Good....You provided No credible info other than Keystrokes, Removing the DEF Tank without knowing the % seems odd, I would like to see the draining procedure , Ram DEF tank don't have drain ports.

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
I am not making my own DEF so I don't care what the percent is, I will not be using water any longer, so drain the tank and replace 100% of the contents with DEF. AS for draining lift the truck from the pass side rear of the DEF tank is the fill tube, unclip it remove to the side slip in a transfer pump hose and pump it all out, was not very hard, the truck is just fine now, mine was a late 2017 build so that must be why it has a sensor