• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Starts then dies

My71bmf

Sep 29, 2021
Truck Year
A customer brought me a 2015 Eco diesel. I am completely stumped. Had about ten codes that could have been voltage related..Replaced battery due to insufficient cranking amps, and wouldn't properly take a charge.

Cleared the codes.

Now the truck starts, runs for ten to fifteen seconds, and dies. No codes. Plenty of fuel and DEF.

ANY help on this would be greatly appreciated. I am about to send him to the dealer, because I refuse to just throw parts at this thing without reason to back it up.

Once again, thank you.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
What's the running Rail Pressure? if the CP4 cannot maintain 2200PSI it will die, CP4 or in tank pump. if its CP4 complete direct injection system will need to be replaced from in tank pump to Injectors, lift pressure must be above 50PSI or the COV will close to the combustion side of Pump thus engine dies.

My71bmf

Sep 29, 2021
Truck Year
Forgive my ignorance with some of these questions. While this does make sense, would I not get a low pressure code of some sort?

I will attempt to check the output of the lift pump today. It sounds labored when it's running, but does operate.

The truck ran for a few minutes yesterday, surging. I turned it off, started it again, and got the intake performance code. And of course, it died within 30 seconds.

Trying to not send it to the stealership. But I do hate just throwing parts at a vehicle.

Thank you for your response.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You will not always trigger codes in HPCR systems in No start/Run conditions. ( Only when running )

The VM 3.0 is extremely difficult to diagnose and repair, The Power plant is manufactured in Cento Italy.... They are Hero's when running Zero's when NOT. My7 Do Yourself GOOD send it away. Once problems develop its never ending and The cost, effort ,time can be spent in more useful and profitable work.