• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Strange sound at shift points

Barney556180

Oct 7, 2020
Truck Year
I have a 2014 ED 4X4 with 135k miles. I just started hearing a soft whooshing, almost fluid sound at transmission shifts and and trailing off after 1-3 seconds.

It was very faint to begin, but after several weeks has gotten a little louder and “gravely” sounding.

It is loudest after warmup, light to moderate throttle, in the mid gears.

My mechanic hears the noise but there are no codes thrown, and doesn't believe its the 8Hp70 transmission. The fluid and filter were replaced 2K ago and the transmission works flawlessly.

He is leaning towards the turbo as the source, possibly bearings starting to go? He advised to pay attention to the noise and see if something develops that can then be diagnosed successfully.
Standing by and hoping this doesn't go south ...

Any thoughts on possible source of this noise?

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I would also agree with your mechanic. when it shifts, the turbo is changing with the Rpms and relieving pressure. If your going in reverse slightly uphill and apply pressure to the throttle then quickly release, you should hear the similar sound.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You should NOT just blindly hope for the Best, Hope is NOT a plan of action. " Pay attention will suck up your Bank account" If the Turbo pukes you will be looking at SCR, Plenum, CAC , EGR, Etc in cost of repairs.

Barney556180

Oct 7, 2020
Truck Year
You should NOT just blindly hope for the Best, Hope is NOT a plan of action. " Pay attention will suck up your Bank account" If the Turbo pukes you will be looking at SCR, Plenum, CAC , EGR, Etc in cost of repairs.
Hope is that the whooshing noise doesn't get worse. If nothing malfunctions or throws a code, not sure what else I can do right now.
I do believe in preventive and scheduled maintenance, but until something actually malfunctions, I doubt the dealer (or my mechanic) would find the definitive culprit to replace.

What would you do at this point?

Last edited:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Buy Alfa OBD and MX2 , Run the turbo through diagnostic tests, Place the vehicle in Stationary De-soot with hood open, observe the engine behavior while preforming these tasks.

You also may have boost leak somewhere.

I do support the mechanic in that guessing just sucks up your wallet, but it does not change his knowledge of the 3.0VM