• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Towing Report

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
Just took my first significant trip with a cattle trailer. Remember, I have a 2015 Ram Ecodiesel Bighorn Quad Cab 4x4 with 17’’ Rims and 10ply tires. I will explain the trip in three Legs.

My first leg was 280 miles that was mostly highspeed interstate with an empty 16’ 2800 LB steel cattle trailer. It is nearly 8’ tall so it catches the wind. I was running 70-75 MPH and had a lot of heavy rain. I filled up and hand-calculated at 15.4MPG.

I then loaded the trailer with pigs, about 1500 pounds worth and started on my second leg which was about 100 miles. This leg was city driving and interstate. I slowed to about 65 due to rain.

For my third leg, I then unloaded the pigs and went back home, about 272 more miles empty. On the way home, skipped the interstate and drove cross country thru then 2-lane hill country of Central Arkansas. I probably averaged about 45mph, until the last 100 or so miles when I sped up again as roads would allow. My total for the return trip was 372 miles which required 12.28 Gallons which hand-calculated to 18.6MPG.

Tons of power. On wet pavement, the truck has so much torque, that it’s easy to spin the tires when accelerating.

Here is the kicker. Last February, I took near the same trip, and the exact same trip on leg 3 with the same empty cattle trailer but pulled it with my old truck – a 2014 Ram 1500 quad cab with a 5.7 Hemi Gas. On this last leg, I averaged about 11.5 mpg.

I didn’t use tow/haul mode, as the trailer was not very heavy. On the interstate, especially about 65, and on mostly level road, the truck would pull the trailer fine in 8th gear.

Oh, just a side note. Got back home and check my oil and the level was fine and the oil was very clean even though, it’s been 2200 miles since my last oil change.

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
I'm assuming no tuning?? that's good number I think towing a load like that.

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
Good info. Thank you. Overall it sounds like your happy with the towing of the ecodiesel?

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
I just hauled a medium sized car from central PA to Atlanta GA, on a 22' hauler
I averaged 23.4 MPG with the tow/haul mode ON. I kept my speed 55-60 miles/hour
Coming back empty I hit 24.1 MPG with an average of 65 miles/hour
This is my first real work trip, I am impressed to say the least.

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
Yes, I'm happy with it. Most if not all of my towing is with a tall 16' cattle trailer. That's probably why I don't see as good of numbers as I would with a flatbed trailer or shorter one. The other day, I went on a 280 mile trip with it and adv around 16.8. Not great, but sure beats the hemi.