• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transmission

Marvin

Oct 12, 2021
Truck Year
Hello everybody my name is Marvin and I am trying to find out about servicing the transmission in my 2016 eco diesel . The dealership said it needs to flushed every 60k the transmission shop said it needs the fluid and pan with filter changed. I am not sure.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
Hello everybody my name is Marvin and I am trying to find out about servicing the transmission in my 2016 eco diesel . The dealership said it needs to flushed every 60k the transmission shop said it needs the fluid and pan with filter changed. I am not sure.
The dealership said flush at 60k? ram says it’s a sealed system with lifetime fluid. I just changed mine at 160k, yes change the pan too, the filter is built into it along with the magnets. After 160k I can say my trans was still working perfectly. But since ZF suggests a change every 50-60k I finally did mine.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Like Ramman said, it's a sealed lifetime tranny. I'm told that Ram considers lifetime to be 100,000 miles. Unless you are having problems, there's no reason to service it before 100,000 miles.

Marvin

Oct 12, 2021
Truck Year
Thanks I think I will cancel the transmission flush and wait awhile to change the pan and fluid.

scoffman

Aug 21, 2019
Truck Year
I would spend a little extra and get the PPE aluminum transmission pan. It holds a few more quarts of fluid, and has a replaceable filter that you can get for $27.00. I would also go off of the transmission manufacturers recommendation on when to change the fluid, which I believe is around 60K-72K miles. I would also recommend using a better aftermarket transmission fluid as it's cheaper and can perform better than the ZPF/FCA overpriced stuff. I use Hot Shot Secret Blue Diamond D6 severe duty automatic transmission fluid, and my truck is a daily driver with 90 mile commute M-F. I've replaced the fluid and filter once since using the new stuff and it looked and smelled like it came right out the of the bottle. I've been really happy with my decision on the pain, filter, and fluid.

This is just my $0.02 so do with it what you will.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for the advice, I think the pan with the built in filter is all I will ever need, I went 161k on the first one, I don’t plan on changing the fluid again. All this time I was under the impression that it was a sealed system and “lifetime” fluid. Lol.
I’ve had 7 Rams, This is the first Ram I’ve kept over 120k.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
The dealership said flush at 60k? ram says it’s a sealed system with lifetime fluid. I just changed mine at 160k, yes change the pan too, the filter is built into it along with the magnets. After 160k I can say my trans was still working perfectly. But since ZF suggests a change every 50-60k I finally did mine.
Exactly what mine said and exactly when I changed mine. Now I’m starting to have issues at 180k, when it downshifts from 3rd to 2nd it stumbles and missis the gear. Anyone else having any issues with the ZF like this?

thanatos74

Apr 12, 2022
Truck Year
I would spend a little extra and get the PPE aluminum transmission pan. It holds a few more quarts of fluid, and has a replaceable filter that you can get for $27.00. I would also go off of the transmission manufacturers recommendation on when to change the fluid, which I believe is around 60K-72K miles. I would also recommend using a better aftermarket transmission fluid as it's cheaper and can perform better than the ZPF/FCA overpriced stuff. I use Hot Shot Secret Blue Diamond D6 severe duty automatic transmission fluid, and my truck is a daily driver with 90 mile commute M-F. I've replaced the fluid and filter once since using the new stuff and it looked and smelled like it came right out the of the bottle. I've been really happy with my decision on the pain, filter, and fluid.

This is just my $0.02 so do with it what you will.
Scoffman,

Where can I get this PPE alum tranny pan?
Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Rob