• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

TUNERS; DO THEY VOID YOUR WARRANTY?

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
I've been reading about the tuners for the 3.0 EcoDiesel like the GDE, and they seem like the way too go. The huge problem I see is that when you put one on your vehicle, you void your factory warranty. The Dodge warranty specifically states that tampering with the emissions system or with a part that could affect the emissions system voids the factory warranty. The Dodge warranty specifically says that the warranty does not cover repairing damages caused by racing. Many of the tuners I've looked at said they are for racing applications. Accordingly, the fact that you have one on your vehicle by the terms of the Dodge warranty, Dodge will void the warranty under the "racing" exception.

The GDE website also indicates their products are not legal for use on any emission controlled vehicle. Isn't the eco diesel and emission controlled vehicle?

The Dodge warranty also says all warranties will be construed under Michigan law (that's where they are headquartered). With the big three auto makers located in Michigan, they have a stranglehold on the Michigan legislature, so you can bet you won't get favorable warranty protection in Michigan against a car company.

The reviews on the tuners look incredible, but what's the consensus on whether it voids your warranty?

I have a 2016 Bighorn ecodiesel that is having problems as can be seen on the two posts I made on this site. I still have 45,000 miles of warranty left on it. I didn't buy this truck new for 40K, to now have it run like garbage and be stuck in a position where the fix looks like the tuner, but now I'm going to void the 45,000 miles I have remaining on my warranty.

FCA are no idiots. I believe the Volkswagen diesel issue cost Volkswagen about 30 Billion dollars to rectify with buy backs etc. FCA sat down with their attorneys and bean counters and knew what they were facing with the problems with the 3.0 Ecodiesel. Their response was to have the EcoDiesel owners come in a get them reflashed and we'll offer them $3,000 and extend their warranty. I just had this service done on my truck at the dealership on Friday and the dealership gave me a one page extended warranty sheet. Interestingly, no where on that sheet does it say how long the extended warranty is.

FCA ponied up 800 million dollars to try and pacify the consumers of the ecodiesels. That's less than 1/30th of what Volkswagen had to pay and Volkswagen didn't have any where near the mechanical problem of the 3.0 Ecodiesel.

It's kind of ironic; the fix for the 3.0 Ecodiesel appears to be the tuner, but installation of it totally negates the idea of a clean diesel which would cause FCA major headaches as the Ecodiesel was sold as a clean diesel.

I don't believe it's possible to build a GOOD clean burning diesel motor. When I stepped on the peddle of my old diesel truck, I liked seeing the big puff of black smoke out the back. Hell, with the black puff of smoke, I at least knew that motor was going to run 300,000 plus miles. With my 3.0 diesel I have serious doubts that I'll make it to the 100,000 mile warranty termination mark.

That's my thought on the matter. Any thoughts on whether the tuner voids the warranty.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Technically a tuner voids the warranty. Your results may vary.