• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo maintenance

Allierium

Jul 7, 2019
Truck Year
Hey yall and good morning.
So I'm gonna start off I have 0 vehicle knowledge. I can change oil and that's about where I cut it off, I just never had a interest even though I'm Ironically a mechanic for airplane hydraulics :p
I got the eco diesel because I plan on buying a 5th wheel for full time travel and living, plus it was really shiney and had a lot of buttons and I've always wanted a diesel. Now I understand the oil changes are going to be a bit more costly at the upside of not having them to do it more often.
What I'm concerned about is a remark / comment someone made to me that the turbo has to be maintained on a 15,000 mile interval and that the maintenance costs $1500 a pop.
Is this true?
Again if I'm spouting out complete gibberish please forgive me, I do not know much about trucks.
-A

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome the turbo will throw a code if it needs anything

vandan

Sep 18, 2016
Truck Year
Buy yourself a fumoto valve for 30 dollars and take your engine drain plug off and replace with that it makes changing oil less messy and easier and buy shell oil T6 that is what is recommended for your truck 5w40 I believe it is. Now you can buy oil filters from dodge at a raping cost or go to the site Rock-auto parts for a fraction of the cost which are made in foreign country just like theirs. To change oil is very simple on these trucks but you have to give it time to let it completely drain see '' you tube ;;

Luc_sko

May 29, 2019
Truck Year
Hope you find a light pin weight fifth wheel. Payload on these rams is only like 1500 lbs depending on model and such.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Shame on your salesman. He should have guided you to a 3/4 ton truck based on your stated planned use.

Allierium

Jul 7, 2019
Truck Year
Ahh my poor salesman probably hated me by the time we were done. I went to the dealer on Dec 31st and was there until 10pm. The poor guy got the run around from me and I got the truck around $22000 off.
I'm glad to know there is no "scheduled" turbo maint that costs $1500 though, I kinda had a feeling the guy was full of .... stuff.
As for the payload? I'm confused. My manual says it can pull 7-9k
Is Payload and GVWR different?

Arkie 16

Apr 3, 2018
Truck Year
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating = truck, plus fuel, plus people, plus cargo Payload is people and cargo

Allierium

Jul 7, 2019
Truck Year
Ok just to make sure I am understanding
Payload is what can go INSIDE the truck
GVWR is what it can pull total

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Ok just to make sure I am understanding
Payload is what can go INSIDE the truck
GVWR is what it can pull total
nah. Payload is what you can likely put in the bed. It can be reduced a lot, for example, if you got 5 fat boys up front. If them fat boys are real fat, maybe you can't put anything in the bed.

GVWR is the total weight limit the manufacturer says the truck can handle, loaded. This includes the total weight of the truck including the fat boys up front and what is in the bed.

The truck can still tow even if it is at it's GVWR. The manufacturer's state how much the truck can tow, separately from the GVWR. A fifth wheel puts weight in the bed so that adds to the total weight of the truck. MSP548 says you should have gotten a 3/4 ton or 2500 series truck for your fifth wheel and he may be right but it depends on how the truck handles when you drive it.

Luc_sko

May 29, 2019
Truck Year
They make fifth wheels for 1/2 ton pick up. You can find them that will fit our trucks. Just remember your payload, which includes whatever you carry in your truck, fifth wheel hitch setup and pin weight of trailer.

You can find a trailer that will work but it’s probably going to be the smallest and lightest fifth wheel available.

Allierium

Jul 7, 2019
Truck Year
I'm not looking to land a huge 5th wheel. I've seen some around 7k pounds that I am pretty happy with and if I read the charts right the Eco can pull up to 9k. I may be wrong, last time I looked was a couple months ago and the internet where I am deployed right now is to damn slow to go find it again.

Luc_sko

May 29, 2019
Truck Year
3.55 rear end is up to like 7800
3.92 is up to 8800

It will pull the trailer. No issues there. Over loading your rear axle is what I would worry about. Only way to no is to scale your truck and see what axle weights are and go from there. That way you can see what you truck is before a trailer. That way you have a good idea on how much wiggle room you have before you overload your rear end.

Just looked at my door sticker. Says rear axle is rated for 3900lb.

Allierium

Jul 7, 2019
Truck Year
Dang, so many numbers. Is pulling a trailer weight and having the weight on the axel 2 different things though? I'm assuming pin weight means the weight that is being put down on the rear axle from the trailer?

Luc_sko

May 29, 2019
Truck Year
Yes. Payload and towing capacity are 2 separate things.

Payload think how much weight the truck can haul. Ecodiesel equipped 1500s are between 1400lb and 1700lb I believe.

Towing capacity is how much weight your truck can tow via a trailer.

Yes you are correct on pin weight. Pin weight for fifth wheels and tongue weight for number pull trailers.

I have seen people put 3000lbs in the bed of their truck because they Misunderstand payload and towing capacity. Sure the truck made it home but if that axle breaks going down the highway, you are responsible not Ram.

Also rear airbags do not increase your payload. Axle still has a rating airbags or not.

bob1340

Jun 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
On most CC 1500"s the cargo capacity is between 1500 and 1700. Not much. But, just so you know the 3/4 CC or Mega RAM Diesel can have as little as 1800 lbs.

To explain a bit further, cargo capacity is what the truck can carry. People, dogs, ice chests, ping pong tables, fuel, ETC. Just fuel, a driver, and a passenger will eat up 500 lbs easy.

Payload is determined by the axle rating and of course tire/wheel weight rating.

Comment: It is amazing how many 3/4 ton trucks you see driving around on 1800 lb rating bling wheels.