• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo water coolant feed tube failure

CR128

Feb 19, 2018
Truck Year
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I recently had my first major issue with my ecodiesel and felt like I should share it with you all. Maybe some of you have experienced the same thing. So at 72k miles my engine decided to spring a major coolant leak. I first noticed the leak when backing into my driveway, noticed a trail of water. I jumped out of my truck to investigate. Water was running from the back of the motor and down the trans bellhousing. By the time I shut the truck off there was almost no coolant left in the motor. I'm lucky it happened when it did. I spent a few hours trying to diagnose where the coolant was coming from. With no avail I chose to have to have it towed to the nearest dealer. It took the mech a few days to diagnose what failed and allowed me to come to the shop to check it out. As some of you may know there is a coolant line that is in the valley of the motor that comes from the drivers side head and feeds to the turbo or formally called the turbo water feed tube. This tube is made up of two hard lines that are connected by a rubber heater hose. The heater hose split! To access this absolutely terrible engineering design the intake manifold had to be removed. Now why would they put a standard heater hose in one of the most hottest parts of the motor? I understand they need flex but they could have used something of better quality, maybe something that could withstand heat better like a silicon hose or designed the hose to run on the outside of the motor. Best part yet fca declined a warranty claim because it's considered rubber it is not covered under warranty past 36k miles. 2 weeks and $2100 later I finally got my truck back. I wrote this to give a heads up to the ecodiesel community of what could happen to you and what to expect. during this whole dilemma I couldn't find anyone that has experienced the same failure. No aftermarket manufacturers or shops that I contacted heard of this or make a bulletproof kit yet. I live in az. summers are hot and I tow. What do they think will happen to rubber over time in those type of conditions? Maybe my environmental conditions cause the failure sooner then others. I was able to keep the old part. How is this part not covered by warranty when you can't maintain this part that is in the valley of the motor without tearing the motor apart to replace it? The rubber hose is dry and brittle. I cant imagine that i am the only eco that has had this happen. Let me know if you have had this happen. Maybe we can ban together and open a class action agenst fca for this poor engineering design. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
0208181147.jpg

Last edited:

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
That repair bill seems extremely high considering it only calls for 3 hours to replace the intake manifold. There has been others that failed but they have been warranted. Did you contact fca directly or just trusted the dealership?

CR128

Feb 19, 2018
Truck Year
I contacted fca directly, they were useless. they stated that since this part has rubber hose and "rubber" items are only covered for 36k miles that I was sol on any warranty covering the repair.

CR128

Feb 19, 2018
Truck Year
Brokendown that is a good question, the mech stated it was a hard to get to part and the book called for removing the engine or removing the cab to replace the part. I guess he found a way to replace it without doing either. Here is the price break down from the invoice.
Labor $1323.71
Parts $613.33
shop supply fees $59.95
Sales tax $57.91

longshot

Mar 13, 2018
Truck Year
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I recently had my first major issue with my ecodiesel and felt like I should share it with you all. Maybe some of you have experienced the same thing. So at 72k miles my engine decided to spring a major coolant leak. I first noticed the leak when backing into my driveway, noticed a trail of water. I jumped out of my truck to investigate. Water was running from the back of the motor and down the trans bellhousing. By the time I shut the truck off there was almost no coolant left in the motor. I'm lucky it happened when it did. I spent a few hours trying to diagnose where the coolant was coming from. With no avail I chose to have to have it towed to the nearest dealer. It took the mech a few days to diagnose what failed and allowed me to come to the shop to check it out. As some of you may know there is a coolant line that is in the valley of the motor that comes from the drivers side head and feeds to the turbo or formally called the turbo water feed tube. This tube is made up of two hard lines that are connected by a rubber heater hose. The heater hose split! To access this absolutely terrible engineering design the intake manifold had to be removed. Now why would they put a standard heater hose in one of the most hottest parts of the motor? I understand they need flex but they could have used something of better quality, maybe something that could withstand heat better like a silicon hose or designed the hose to run on the outside of the motor. Best part yet fca declined a warranty claim because it's considered rubber it is not covered under warranty past 36k miles. 2 weeks and $2100 later I finally got my truck back. I wrote this to give a heads up to the ecodiesel community of what could happen to you and what to expect. during this whole dilemma I couldn't find anyone that has experienced the same failure. No aftermarket manufacturers or shops that I contacted heard of this or make a bulletproof kit yet. I live in az. summers are hot and I tow. What do they think will happen to rubber over time in those type of conditions? Maybe my environmental conditions cause the failure sooner then others. I was able to keep the old part. How is this part not covered by warranty when you can't maintain this part that is in the valley of the motor without tearing the motor apart to replace it? The rubber hose is dry and brittle. I cant imagine that i am the only eco that has had this happen. Let me know if you have had this happen. Maybe we can ban together and open a class action agenst fca for this poor engineering design. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
View attachment 1629

I have the same problem. Is the hose in the picture the top or bottom hose to the turbo? That stupid hose is $270 from FCA

CR128

Feb 19, 2018
Truck Year
Longshot, I'm not sure if it's the top or bottom tube. I know it's the inlet tube, part number 68242889aa.

longshot

Mar 13, 2018
Truck Year
Is there any other info you have before I make the attempt? Ill take the intake manifold off(and all the other crap in the way) as well as the fenders. Thanks

CR128

Feb 19, 2018
Truck Year
Longshot, How many miles do you have before yours failed? No I really don't. I didn't see what actually the mechanic had to do to pull and replace besides the intake manifold and all the stuff up top. I would recommend replacing the intake manifold gaskets as well just to help prevent any issues. Please tell us what you had to do to repair yours and good luck!

longshot

Mar 13, 2018
Truck Year
I have the same miles as you but a compound turbo setup. I will solder -AN adapters to the stock banjo and replace the rubber hose with SS braided line. Ill let you know...

longshot

Mar 13, 2018
Truck Year
Mine was the turbo coolant feed line, too. I think you got ripped off, though. Its not that hard to get to. Remove top harness, injector hard lines, turbo elbow, and intake manifold. Then its right there.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
WOW.. that excessive $$$, Another reason to remove all that sound insulation and Pump cover... Whats concerning is the competence level of the Tech not to be able to find that leak in minutes..

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I have the same miles as you but a compound turbo setup. I will solder -AN adapters to the stock banjo and replace the rubber hose with SS braided line. Ill let you know...

Yep $10.00 repair..CR128 They had to bill you wrong. the feed line $180.00 online $240.00 Retail

longshot

Mar 13, 2018
Truck Year
That stuff is long gone along with EGR and everything else. I guess it would be harder for the tech with all that stuff on and removing it is a PITA.

longshot

Mar 13, 2018
Truck Year
Hey does anyone know where to find the torque spec on the banjo bolt that goes to the block on this feed line? Its not in the manual. It takes a 22mm socket and has fine threads. The banjo b9lt to the turbo takes a 19mm socket, has coarse threads, and 26ftlbs...I dont want to take it apart again!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
26FT Lbs MAX, match it to the 22mm side also look over the sealing washers.