• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Warranty denied when particulate filter got full.

Marksgrandcherokee

Sep 21, 2020
Truck Year
Hello all.

my grand Cherokee diesel with 21k miles recently went into limp mode with a almost full DPF filter message. Had it towed to nearest dealer 95 miles from where we “broke down”. Left the car there (Saturday so they were closed) and had my Family and travel trailer towed 4 hours to my house. Now it is Monday and the dealer said that they just had to manually push a regeneration at a cost of $175 which is not covered under standard warranty or Mopar max care which I also purchased. So why did it not self regenerate even though we have been traveling hundreds of miles pulling a small trailer (therefore giving it all that it needed for lots of perfect regeneration opportunities with or without using its full DEF fluid)? Why is it considered normal wear and tear therefore not covered? who would want any car that under perfect conditions could leave your family stranded especially after spending $50k for a new one PLUS plunking an additional couple thousand for a warranty just in case? A side note, still have my 2013 Durango that I also purchased the Mopar max care warranty with. I took the new suv with only 21k miles to be sure that I would not get stranded even though the warranty would cover repairs. If my old SUV broke down they would surely have covered the repair but they wised up 5 years later (I bought it new last year) and took an obvious design flaw and worded the warranty coverage language to alleviate responsibility for repairers AFTER taking me for over $50k. Great way to make a buck now but go out of business soon. Remember why they started the lifetime warranty program in 2008 in the first place? There vehicles are crap! But their warranty lawyers are good. I should also say that when my grand Cherokee, Durango and even my 2500 ram truck were working they were amazingly great vehicles. So feel free to borrow or even lease a FCA vehicle, but don’t ever buy one. I realize this post is mostly a rant and it felt great to get it off my chest. Yet I did have some questions in the beginning And would love some feedback and help from anyone who has traveled this path. And If I can’t find the answers that I need for the above questions here are two more;
1) does anyone know a good lemon law Lawer?
2) anyone want to buy a almost new time bomb...I mean Diesel Grand Cherokee?

thank you
Mark

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
IT SHOULD B a warranty repair call mopar and complain welcome 2 the group

Marksgrandcherokee

Sep 21, 2020
Truck Year
Hello again

Yes, I called my local dealer and they said they would have covered it so I called the dealer that did the work and they “found a labor code” that allowed them to have it covered. I also contacted the customer care for the warranty and am now seeing if they will cover a one way rental to retrieve my car since it is 4 hours away. The service was only an hour yet they were closed for 2 days when the clog happened so I went home so I can work.I am hoping that they will cover the rental under “trip interruption”. I will see. Does anyone want an update? as a side note I will have that labor code written in the cars paperwork along with the towing assistance phone number.
Thank you for your input.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I find it odd that it did NOT Active Regen According to your description prior to 100% full, I have to ask did you look at the EVIC? generally the first appearance is 70% than 80% and it dings.

Marksgrandcherokee

Sep 21, 2020
Truck Year
The first I noticed was when the car slowed to 40 Mph and the display did not say that there was a filter issue. If I remember right (I might not be right) it said exhausts issue, I need to contact the dealership. Then, after being pulled on the side of the road for half hour or so it said 80 percent full on the filter. Then, without driving any distance, it updated and said 100 percent full. I agree it does not make sense. The suv had the perfect opportunity to self regenerate for hundreds of miles. Yet it did not. What are your thoughts on why that would be? I am so worried that it will happen again. At home I have a work vehicle and an electric car leaving the diesel Grand our travel car. There will be so many future opportunities to be stranded in different states usually on weekends as that is when we usually put most of our miles on the Jeep.
Thanks for your response.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its getting Late for Me, But look into ALFA OBD, its Android compatible and capable of putting the Truck into Stationary De-soot, The message sometime combine with the 100% Full is service electronic throttle control, that will require WITECH, but with the DPF de-Sooted you can still drive With the Messag. ALFA would have alllowed you to continue on after the De-sooting process completed, that what the Dealer did at $175.00

Marksgrandcherokee

Sep 21, 2020
Truck Year
I got the SUV back. Worked well on the 4 hour trip back home. I am going to look into that device that would let me force a re-gen so I will have less to worry about when traveling.
Thanks