• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Well...it happened

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
I’ve been raving about my EcoDiesel for the past 4 years, posting about how flawless mine has been (for the most part), and genially optimistic that I bought a “good one”.

Well...driving on the freeway today, 70-75 for about an hour and I suddenly hear a ticking sound with NO warning...one second everything is fine, the next a constant tick/knock. I exit the freeway and the Service Electronic Throttle light comes on as well as the Check Engine light. It’s knocking at idle when I come to a stop. Shut the truck off and fire it up again to move to a safer spot and there’s no ticking or knocking...check engine light is the only one still on. I drive about 50 yards and it begins knocking again, shortly followed by smoke. I quickly put it in neutral and shut it off, Coast to a safe spot and pop the hood. No fire, thankfully. Not leaks. Smells like electrical burning. Anyways, had it towed to the local dealership...wish me luck.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I’ve been raving about my EcoDiesel for the past 4 years, posting about how flawless mine has been (for the most part), and genially optimistic that I bought a “good one”.

Well...driving on the freeway today, 70-75 for about an hour and I suddenly hear a ticking sound with NO warning...one second everything is fine, the next a constant tick/knock. I exit the freeway and the Service Electronic Throttle light comes on as well as the Check Engine light. It’s knocking at idle when I come to a stop. Shut the truck off and fire it up again to move to a safer spot and there’s no ticking or knocking...check engine light is the only one still on. I drive about 50 yards and it begins knocking again, shortly followed by smoke. I quickly put it in neutral and shut it off, Coast to a safe spot and pop the hood. No fire, thankfully. Not leaks. Smells like electrical burning. Anyways, had it towed to the local dealership...wish me luck.

Sorry to hear.. but we all likely know what it already is.. keep us updated.. I'm assuming no extended warranty of any type?

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
Sorry to hear.. but we all likely know what it already is.. keep us updated.. I'm assuming no extended warranty of any type?
I have 2 warranties still in place - my 100,000 mile extended from original purchase as well as the 120,000 power train that came with the class action settlement. I have just over 83k miles on mine.

What do you “likely” think it is? Complete engine replacement?

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
WOW...so yeah...the engine is done. BUT...100% warranty covered! The dealership said they'll have my truck for probably 2 weeks. Ordered a new gen 1 engine with the new, improved EGR system.

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
Steven, was your truck tuned or completely stock?
Engine is 100% stock. All I added to my truck was running boards, wheels and a leveling kit. It was overly well-maintained by myself and never driven hard. I wasn’t naive to these potential issues and did everything I could to make this truck last as long as it could.

Denver95327

Feb 25, 2020
Truck Year
I just bought a new one and read nothing but negative stuff about them.. which is fine, that’s why forums are here to help with issues.. my question is, what year is the truck you just lost motor in?( I know is said you talked highly for the last 4 years, so it’s a 15-16 I’m guessing) I know 14-16 has issues.. maybe other years do also?? Mine is a 2019(classis) and just wondering what I should expect and what to watch for, I also have 8 year 120k warranty.

thanks

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
I’m fully convinced now that every EcoDiesel has a premature expiration date...
I just bought a new one and read nothing but negative stuff about them.. which is fine, that’s why forums are here to help with issues.. my question is, what year is the truck you just lost motor in?( I know is said you talked highly for the last 4 years, so it’s a 15-16 I’m guessing) I know 14-16 has issues.. maybe other years do also?? Mine is a 2019(classis) and just wondering what I should expect and what to watch for, I also have 8 year 120k warranty.

thanks
Mine is a 2015 that I bought new (only 18 miles) in April 2016

Robsand9

Mar 11, 2020
Truck Year
I just bought 2015 with 50000 miles and I am now wondering if I did not make a huge mistake hahah. it is at the dealer already. I got a p20EE code on way home from dealer. on the way back to drop it off got a message that DEF problem see dealer will not start in 200 miles.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
StevenB, You may be waiting some time, I checked last week at our Distribution Center (0) availability, Maybe the dealership can find a straggler.
The Engine is manufacture in Cento Italy, Italy is being severely crippled By COVID-19, Right Now, its not likely to open its boarders anytime soon.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I’m fully convinced now that every EcoDiesel has a premature expiration date...

Mine is a 2015 that I bought new (only 18 miles) in April 2016
Has the dealership found out what caused the engine failure ?

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
StevenB, You may be waiting some time, I checked last week at our Distribution Center (0) availability, Maybe the dealership can find a straggler.
The Engine is manufacture in Cento Italy, Italy is being severely crippled By COVID-19, Right Now, its not likely to open its boarders anytime soon.
The dealership ordered one the day after the tow truck dropped it off. I called 3 days later and they said the new engine was ordered, was en route to the dealership and it would be ready in 2 weeks.

Has the dealership found out what caused the engine failure ?
Said it was a failed EGR and coolant got into the engine oil...the "common" problem for these trucks.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
StevenB, What's your future Plan. I find it odd that Eco owners are willing to keep the Eco after major failure, Generally warranty coverage helps the owner, New Engine, Trans, Axle, Etc, Not So with VM, its same short comings & risk with the replacement, many owners are on 2nd even 3rd repalcement.

At some point the loss must be calculated and move on.

Its my profession and I didn't want the risk inherited with VM3.0. In My case being parterned in FCA ownership it was easy for Me. I new what buttons to push and what leverage to use. I cannot forecast the future after COVID-19. That being said If its possible to get out of ownership do it IMO.

If your willing to throw the nice with all the risks and unknowns is your choice, As for Me I played My hand and tossed the VM3.0 and was able to purchase 2019 Limited that up to date been Awesome, It excels in every category except Mileage, Hand calculated just about equals My 3.0VM cost, plus NO upfront additional cost that will Never be re-cooped at resale.

I can only Hope that Fiat changes the power plant to FPT class, its the only hope for 1/2 ton Ecodiesel.

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
StevenB, What's your future Plan. I find it odd that Eco owners are willing to keep the Eco after major failure, Generally warranty coverage helps the owner, New Engine, Trans, Axle, Etc, Not So with VM, its same short comings & risk with the replacement, many owners are on 2nd even 3rd repalcement.

At some point the loss must be calculated and move on.

Its my profession and I didn't want the risk inherited with VM3.0. In My case being parterned in FCA ownership it was easy for Me. I new what buttons to push and what leverage to use. I cannot forecast the future after COVID-19. That being said If its possible to get out of ownership do it IMO.

If your willing to throw the nice with all the risks and unknowns is your choice, As for Me I played My hand and tossed the VM3.0 and was able to purchase 2019 Limited that up to date been Awesome, It excels in every category except Mileage, Hand calculated just about equals My 3.0VM cost, plus NO upfront additional cost that will Never be re-cooped at resale.

I can only Hope that Fiat changes the power plant to FPT class, its the only hope for 1/2 ton Ecodiesel.
I have 35,000 miles that will roll over to the new engine from my current warranty. I will sell or trade in my truck at around 30-33k miles. Cant risk this happening again and coming out of pocket.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Hopefully Fiat will wake up , and place a Tried and True power plant in the 1/2 Truck , and do a complete changeover at Cento, The country of Italy is finically in trouble, and not likely to rebound anytime soon. Couple that with the COVID-19 tremors will be felt by all for some time to come.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Hopefully Fiat will wake up , and place a Tried and True power plant in the 1/2 Truck , and do a complete changeover at Cento, The country of Italy is finically in trouble, and not likely to rebound anytime soon. Couple that with the COVID-19 tremors will be felt by all for some time to come.
Hi TC, I don’t regret my 2019 hemi purchase either. Just paid $1.55 for gas when I filled up in Pipestone. :)

TC, what is your opinion on the Ford and GM half ton power plants? Did they build a reliable motor?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
MSP548, I'm glad your happy, I know you were worry at first loosing some $, When Fiat replaces the 3.0VM We may revisit Buying one?

When this COVID simmers Down ,I will be Demoing out the New GM, If I like I will keep it.

I just don't care for Ford, And unless things really urn around its Not likely My 2019 Limited is leaving any time soon.

You need to call me one of these days to Chad.

KnikAK

Mar 21, 2019
Truck Year
A mechanic friend of mine talked about the new Dmax diesel and mentioned the timing belt was at the back of the motor and the trans has to be moved back when replacing the belt. It also is liquid cooled by the engine oil. Don't quote me on liquid cooling, forgot the term he used. This was couple months back & my memory & age are catching up

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I'd like to see GM's book hours for that trans drop to replace the belt. I've heard a few say it's a bit easier to do it GM's way rather than how Ford does the new 3.0L.. so, pick your poison! :D