• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What us my best option

Holymoly

Oct 25, 2019
Truck Year
2016 ecodiesel limited with 20k mi.
Kept in climate controlled shop.
Never washed with anything that touches the paint. Leather smell is still strong.
Noticed a continuous lag and took to dealer. Sooted egr cooler tube, cooler etc and leak in cooler. Fluid 1.5 inches low.
30 days out of warranty. But still in lemon law range at 20k miles.
Filed a claim with fca and waiting for 4500.00 repair assistance.
I think they may cover the cost of labor and cooler related parts.
I haven't done the aem flash yet.

Should I sell it trade it or keep it.
Do I have a lemon law argument.

This will continue to happen right?
The egr will soot the system over and over again.
I drive it very little but when I do, I make many stops along the way and regeneration can't finish.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome 2 the group with 20 thousand miles how r u out of warranty get the flash I think it comes with 40.000 mile warranty unless u r in Canada

Holymoly

Oct 25, 2019
Truck Year
120000 10 year warranty but the regeneration deprivation will still soot it up.
I'm not sure if I want to deal with the headaches.
The process by which this vehicle regenerates or cleans it's self should be disclosed to anyone who buys one.
I'm under a lemon law mileage.
In my state it's 24 months or 24k miles whichever comes later.
The situation is a nonconforming one.
The egr system is flawed. It can be clean but will clog again but, since it was repaired for a short time, it doesn't count as one of three times to file for lemon law.
It a crock of stew

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
almost all diesels have that problem even the big rigs u have 2 drive them but the eco has way more problems than the dpf

Holymoly

Oct 25, 2019
Truck Year
So I'm finding out!
Dealer says he will buy it out right for 31k as is. I'm trying to decide if I want to take the loss now or get a new gas burner. I hear the 5.7 is getting decent miles and no egr soot

Holymoly

Oct 25, 2019
Truck Year
I think if fca will repair the truck, I will get the flash, the warranty and keep the truck.
Change oil at 3500 mi increments and consider some future tunes.

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
SELL IT! SELL IT! SELL IT!

This 3.0 diesel is a pile of garbage. I have 56,000 on a 2016 and everyone in the service department and myself are on a first name basis. This morning my truck went into limp mode for the 22nd time. It's been in limp mode more than it's been at 55mph it seems. Back to the dealership I go tomorrow morning.

I had the software update a month ago and already two problems with it not to mention the poor performance since the flash. As the temperatures here get colder, the longer the lag time since getting the software update. I can't wait to see what happens this winter when the temp goes below 0.

Many on this site are hardcore diesel men and women, but I think all willl agree this is not a good motor. Take a look on Autotrader and those sites and see what these 2015-2018 Dodges with the 3.0 diesel are selling for. It's sickening. People won't buy these trucks used, or if they do, they are buying them way under what typical depreciation on a vehicle like this should be. I suspect in the near future you're going to see Dodge face another class action regarding these diesels.

Sell it or do whatever you can to get rid of it. If you keep it, you're in for headaches.

Holymoly

Oct 25, 2019
Truck Year
I hate that for you gofishingup.
After 22 times wth.

I just got the call from fca. They 3500.00 repair and they require me to pay 700.00
That is 500 more than service guy told me I would be paying if I agreed to do so.
Fca said if I wanted to file a buyback, they would not assist in the repair at all.
Like most, I'm sick about it. Thing is I've always been a gmc guy but, This was to be my last truck as I still have all trucks I ever purchased new. 91 with 140kmi, 97 z71 160kmi and I thought at 60 years old this would damn near be the last, so I have really treated it well. It's never been rained on and stays at a constant 70 degrees in my climate controlled shop.
What do I get for buying such a beautiful truck with such a economy diesel and kissing it's tail pipe. SCREWED, THAT'S WHAT I GET.
How can I ever justify buying another Dodge, Ram, chrysler product for myself or allow anyone I know to bug one without giving them my 2 cents on the matter.
I'm the perfect customer for any auto manufacturer and I get no empathy whatsoever.
If anybody from fca ever reads this and can feel good afterwards, it would explain it all. 20.000 miles not even a swirl mark in the paint. 30 days out of warranty.
I pray for all who have had this simular experience and hope someday you all find piece in this under manfactured vehicle.
I'm sure fca has lost lots of customers over this poorly engineered system.
Thanks for your comments.
I may just follow your advice before I'm paying for def issue or this one again.
I'm ranting....sorry

Will_CathVT

Jul 9, 2019
Truck Year
I have a certified 2016, it was "flashed" when I bought it. Spent the first week and a half in service getting 2 exhaust sensors replaced. I drive 150 miles/day. Next was a leaking EGR cooler, service repaired it while I drove a loaner per the extended warranty from FCA. I have zero lag after the truck has warmed up, mileage is 26 to 27 mpg on average. Plenty of power and the turbo is great, I towed a 25' travel trailer this summer with no issues. Its getting cold in Vermont and haven't noticed any issues yet. I did purchase a MOPAR drivetrain extended warranty with unlimited mileage as well. I love the truck a lot more than the GMC Sierra I traded in. If the truck has been updated the extended warranty should cover most repairs. By the way I get the "this might be one of my last vehicles", I'm not a spring chicken as well. Find another service department if they don't know what to do. I hope your situation works out better for you.

Holymoly

Oct 25, 2019
Truck Year
Wow, thanks!
I do need to hear these positive responses.
I'm telling myself now, Mine can be as good as yours too.
I have 2 others that are 22 years and older and still running and never had to have warranty work. I don't think I spent 3500 on them all together in all that time.
Thanks for sharing your story with me.
It's great

Holymoly

Oct 25, 2019
Truck Year
Will_cathvt, These ecodiesel engines like that 150 mile a day your putting on it.
Just change your oil as often as you can.
Mine is sooting up because I don't drive it enough. I go to town 15 miles and make 5 stops then back home. The regeneration cycle can't complete the clean so it piles up in the cooler tube, plenum, cooler etc.
Most times it goes into regen I turn it off and the restart which loads it up more.
I made a few trips to Dallas when I first purchased it. 60k limited.
It was great but it didn't clog up at 20k, it started way before 20k and is unsafe to drive today. I would feel worthless if someone used it and got tboned.
The problem Is fca has no feelings about the issue like I do.

I'm still undecided what to do.
I have a few days left.
Is a tune in my future I wonder?

JAMES2014

Oct 4, 2019
Truck Year
Will_cathvt, These ecodiesel engines like that 150 mile a day your putting on it.
Just change your oil as often as you can.
Mine is sooting up because I don't drive it enough. I go to town 15 miles and make 5 stops then back home. The regeneration cycle can't complete the clean so it piles up in the cooler tube, plenum, cooler etc.
Most times it goes into regen I turn it off and the restart which loads it up more.
I made a few trips to Dallas when I first purchased it. 60k limited.
It was great but it didn't clog up at 20k, it started way before 20k and is unsafe to drive today. I would feel worthless if someone used it and got tboned.
The problem Is fca has no feelings about the issue like I do.

I'm still undecided what to do.
I have a few days left.
Is a tune in my future I wonder?
I went through similar issues and catastrophic engine failure with my 6.0 ford. I certainly hope I’m not in for a repeat with the ecodiesel.

Holymoly

Oct 25, 2019
Truck Year
Yep my brother had that engine in a beautiful ford excursion.
Lost his ass on that deal.
What's more terrible for him l, just like you,
He purchased a 2014 ED the week before mine went to shop.
He did the reflash update and now he is having issues and buyers remorse.
He purchased it because I loved mine sooo much. One week later...I'm not sure it's love anymore and I feel awful for my little brother.
What fca doesn't understand is it's a family affair. Will my nephew and grandchild remember what we're going through. Is chrysler loosing future generations interest in their products.
I think they are

Holymoly

Oct 25, 2019
Truck Year
All that being said, Try not to worry just be aware of the issue and put some miles on it.
If I would have driven mine more than 20k in 3 years maybe I would have used the lemon law.
I know it didn't just soot up and start leaking last week but, maybe from the start.
In respect to John, I think what he is meaning is think positive about you truck and hope for the best. Obviously fca thinks at least 97% are fine

JAMES2014

Oct 4, 2019
Truck Year
Yep my brother had that engine in a beautiful ford excursion.
Lost his ass on that deal.
What's more terrible for him l, just like you,
He purchased a 2014 ED the week before mine went to shop.
He did the reflash update and now he is having issues and buyers remorse.
He purchased it because I loved mine sooo much. One week later...I'm not sure it's love anymore and I feel awful for my little brother.
What fca doesn't understand is it's a family affair. Will my nephew and grandchild remember what we're going through. Is chrysler loosing future generations interest in their products.
I think they are
Lol, this is your baby brother.

Holymoly

Oct 25, 2019
Truck Year
Yes, funny and funnier it weren't true.
I have a call into dealer and fca customer care has to talk to a tech to find out how I can keep my truck sootless.
Clean system every 5k miles. BS

Windowguy

Nov 15, 2019
Truck Year
Not sure if you made your decision yet or not but based on what I read on how you use your truck I would say sell it. Modern diesels with the pollution stuff is not made for short trips like you do. I have a 2015 with 89k kms I have had 2 engine replacements. I think I am going to sell mine before the warranty runs out and I have to pay big $$ for a repair.

Great truck on paper but it just did not live up to what they promised.

Rob.

Holymoly

Oct 25, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for the reply!
I agree with you and I'm definitely getting rid of this truck. I reached out to fca but it's very early. I have a trickle charger on the vehicle.