• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Who has a replacement engine?

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
I'm getting a replacement engine and I'm wondering about it. I know a number of people on this forum have put a second engine in so I'd really like to hear from them.

Questions:
What kind of warranty did they give one the new engine?
Did you consider an additional full coverage MoPar warranty extension for 5/100K miles? If so, why or why not?
Did you keep the truck or decide to trade it?

What things surprised you about the new engine, good or bad?

Thanks for any feedback you may provide.

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
I found a used engine on carpart.com. In Canada so located it in Prince George from A-star. Good guys. Had about 70K miles or so on it . Shipped to PDR diesel and they did the install and an emissions delete.

We are using it for short duty, around industrial site so the filter was always getting clogged, tons of emission issues. I figure the restriction in the DPF is contributing to crank issues. Also that emissions stuff is heavy! Anyway just got it back and drives A+

Jb2728

Jun 6, 2022
Truck Year
I'm getting a replacement engine and I'm wondering about it. I know a number of people on this forum have put a second engine in so I'd really like to hear from them.

Questions:
What kind of warranty did they give one the new engine?
Did you consider an additional full coverage MoPar warranty extension for 5/100K miles? If so, why or why not?
Did you keep the truck or decide to trade it?

What things surprised you about the new engine, good or bad?

Thanks for any feedback you may provide.
I bought a crate motor from Chrysler Fca 3 year 100,00 mile warranty from the current mileage.

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
Appreciate purchasing a new engine and I did just that for my 2003 2500HD 5.7L
It came from Jasper Engines with new plugs, wires, boots, water pump, starter, new belts and hoses, gaskets, bolts for pipes and all external connections. AND with a full 3yr, 100K warranty for ALL parts and ALL labor at any of their nationwide service centers. Really nice.

What I'm trying to figure out is what happens with a warranty replacement engine from Steal-us or FCA or whoever they are now. What "constitutes" a new engine and what warranty covers it. This makes the diff between keeping and selling, in my mind.

Seems like there have been a number of people had their engines replaced under warranty, so just trying to see what their experience has been.

Thanks

Jb2728

Jun 6, 2022
Truck Year
Mine was out of pocket and I bought a brand new engine from FCA. I had a shop put it in. FCA needs the Vin # and the milage on the truck when the engine blew. They then warranty the motor from the date the motor is installed and the current mileage on the vehicle when it was installed. I did not use a dealership, as my local dealer is crap, and doesn't know how work on their own vehicles. Learned the hard way on 2006 300 awd. and ended up doing my own repairs. 3 years or 100,000 miles is the warranty on the new motor. I bought from a dealer in Jefferson city Missouri. Can't say enough good things about them. It doesn't have to be put in by a dealership for the warranty. They made that clear from the outset.

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
Appreciate the feedback. Did you get a new turbo with the new engine? New glow plugs? All new sensors?
What did they take off the old engine to go to the new?

Thanks

Jb2728

Jun 6, 2022
Truck Year
Kept the turbo. I think we reused the sensors and transmission also reused all the epa crap.

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
New engines are not available in Canada unless shipping up from the USA, if you can find one. Long blocks are but shops didn't want to do that. So used was my only option and same for dealer fix.
I didn't get any support from FCA despite less than 30K miles on the truck.

OP mentions Jasper but they don't have 3 liter motors, so ????