• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Why I will never buy an Ecodiesel or any FCA product ever again.

Joeecodiesel

Jan 18, 2020
Truck Year
I have a 2016 ecodiesel I purchased with 60k on it back in 2018. When the truck runs it’s great and I actually have quite a few miles on it at this point, but that has not been without what seems like an endless string of repairs and months of being without my vehicle and countless hours of taking time off work to take the truck back-and-forth to the dealership over and over again. At the moment I am currently at a month and a half of waiting to get a diagnosis on my latest issue which is a p016f and p0087 code (fuel pressure related). The dealership had it for about a month before they finally actually looked at it after telling me for about three weeks they are looking at it… it wasn’t until I had to drive out there and literally watch them tow it over to their shop before they finally did anything with it. And unfortunately they ended up doing what they usually do and replaced parts that are cheap and easy but most likely not the actual problem. I have not heard back since he told me that they replaced the tone wheel sensor… Tomorrow I am going to see him in person again because I cannot get a call back after several messages and about five days of waiting… Below is the list of things that have been done to my truck. Mostly under warranty thankfully but some things I have had to pay for myself or pay for the diagnosis fees etc. leading up to the repairs. This truck is completely stock, never modified.

DPF
Diesel particualte sensor x3
DPF injector
Fuel line from pump to rail x2
Side airbags
Valve cover gakset x2
Water pump x2
Front cv axels
Intake manifold x2
Seized glow plug, major 4k repair including new timing chain , head gaskets etc. (replaced all plugs)
Turbo coolant feed tube
Nox sensor x2
Egr cooler
TMap sensor
Turbo
Brake booster vac switch
SCR
DEF Dosing injetor
Backup camera x2
3 way Coolant valve
All of the gaskets and hardware needed to install these items..
im sure im forgetting something..

Now im probbaly looking at a fuel pump and fuel system or possibly just a tone wheel (?)
Hard to say because I can’t seem to get a straight answer.

I could go on and on but long story short, I would recommend avoiding anything FCA (from my personal experience). Not to mention the horrendous customer serivce. Dont get me started on that subject 🙄

guess i will just have to wait and see what the dealer says if they ever get to it.. sigh…

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Goodbye

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I have a 2016 ecodiesel I purchased with 60k on it back in 2018. When the truck runs it’s great and I actually have quite a few miles on it at this point, but that has not been without what seems like an endless string of repairs and months of being without my vehicle and countless hours of taking time off work to take the truck back-and-forth to the dealership over and over again. At the moment I am currently at a month and a half of waiting to get a diagnosis on my latest issue which is a p016f and p0087 code (fuel pressure related). The dealership had it for about a month before they finally actually looked at it after telling me for about three weeks they are looking at it… it wasn’t until I had to drive out there and literally watch them tow it over to their shop before they finally did anything with it. And unfortunately they ended up doing what they usually do and replaced parts that are cheap and easy but most likely not the actual problem. I have not heard back since he told me that they replaced the tone wheel sensor… Tomorrow I am going to see him in person again because I cannot get a call back after several messages and about five days of waiting… Below is the list of things that have been done to my truck. Mostly under warranty thankfully but some things I have had to pay for myself or pay for the diagnosis fees etc. leading up to the repairs. This truck is completely stock, never modified.

DPF
DPF injector
Side airbags
Valve cover gakset x2
Water pump x2
Front cv axels
Intake manifold x2
Seized glow plug, major 4k repair including new timing chain , head gaskets etc. (replaced all plugs)
Turbo coolant feed tube
Nox sensor x2
Egr cooler
TMap sensor
Turbo
Brake booster vac switch
SCR
DEF Dosing injetor
Backup camera x2
3 way Coolant valve

Now im probbaly looking at a fuel pump and fuel system or possibly just a tone wheel (?)

I could go on and on but long story short, I would recommend avoiding anything FCA (from my personal experience). Not to mention the horrendous customer serivce. Dont get me started on that subject 🙄

guess i will just have to wait and see what the dealer says if they ever get to it.. sigh…
When you get it back consider a tune, it may save you on some future repairs.

Joeecodiesel

Jan 18, 2020
Truck Year
When you get it back consider a tune, it may save you on some future repairs.
Thank you for the suggestion. I have a couple thousand miles left on my emissions warranty and plan on doing just that once I’m out of warranty. If I did go that route, I wonder, would I potentially have any issues with recall items down the road if my vehicle has been “modified”?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I would sell, you simply don't need 1/2 ton Diesel....your problems will just continue.

Last edited:

Joeecodiesel

Jan 18, 2020
Truck Year
I’m not sure what you mean by 1/2 diesel (saw the edit, I understand now lol) but I have considered selling it many times. Although at this point they have replaced so many parts that I feel like I almost have a reliable truck again. The fuel system was my last major concern and it sounds like that is going to possibly be replaced.
I finally talked with the dealer today and they said the tone wheel is fine. Sensor was replaced and no change. Now they supposedly have fuel pressure but no fuel
Injecting from what I understand… at least they’re finally working on getting me a rental. It will be the first time ever.

Last edited:

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Thank you for the suggestion. I have a couple thousand miles left on my emissions warranty and plan on doing just that once I’m out of warranty. If I did go that route, I wonder, would I potentially have any issues with recall items down the road if my vehicle has been “modified”?
Most tunes can be uninstalled at will with a hand held flash device in a matter if minutes for those dealer trips and reinstalled when you get back home.

SJK

Aug 19, 2018
Truck Year

DPF
DPF injector
Side airbags
Valve cover gakset x2
Water pump x2
Front cv axels
Intake manifold x2
Turbo coolant feed tube
Nox sensor x2
Egr cooler
TMap sensor
Turbo
Brake booster vac switch
SCR
DEF Dosing injetor
Backup camera x2
3 way Coolant valve

Sell it! I have a 2015 I bought new. It's spent over a year total sitting at the dealer for one problem or another.
This time around it's 30 days in the shop getting a new turbo and with less than 9000mi warranty left it is time for it to go.
Whatever you decide good luck too you, as for myself a Toyota truck is in my future.

jjpthouin

Apr 7, 2023
Truck Year

DPF
DPF injector
Side airbags
Valve cover gakset x2
Water pump x2
Front cv axels
Intake manifold x2
Turbo coolant feed tube
Nox sensor x2
Egr cooler
TMap sensor
Turbo
Brake booster vac switch
SCR
DEF Dosing injetor
Backup camera x2
3 way Coolant valve

I have averaged $2,100 /year for repairs to my 2016 eco diesel since I bought it new.

Joeecodiesel

Jan 18, 2020
Truck Year
Thanks for all who responded. I just talked to the dealer today and he told me they have ordered ~12k worth of parts to fix my truck due to catastrophic fuel pump failure with metal shavings in the lines. Requiring a complete rebuild of the fuel system. Working on getting a rental now under my emissions warranty. Fingers crossed…

Catfish

Oct 30, 2022
Truck Year
I own a 2016 ED and have been waiting for the parts for a (fuel pump) recall since June of last year. I called two days ago and asked if they had an ETA, and they said they had no idea when or even if they were going to get them. I asked them "what if my vehicle breaks down due to a fuel pressure issue?" and they said, "to get it fixed and then call and ask to get reimbursed?" But you just said they're no parts available? Crickets!!! I love my truck, but I'm not sure about the way RAM is handling these issues.

Joeecodiesel

Jan 18, 2020
Truck Year
I own a 2016 ED and have been waiting for the parts for a (fuel pump) recall since June of last year. I called two days ago and asked if they had an ETA, and they said they had no idea when or even if they were going to get them. I asked them "what if my vehicle breaks down due to a fuel pressure issue?" and they said, "to get it fixed and then call and ask to get reimbursed?" But you just said they're no parts available? Crickets!!! I love my truck, but I'm not sure about the way RAM is handling these issues.
Exactly how I feel. What they are doing for me is installing one of the recalled fuel pumps as a Band-Aid and then they say they will install the remanufactured, new pump when they come out. I have called almost every day for a month and a half now to get that process going. Mine died taking my daughter to school. It bucked a couple times really hard and then just died. From There it tried to start a couple times and then just wouldn’t do anything. Just would keep cranking over and over again. The pump did last 180k tho…

Joeecodiesel

Jan 18, 2020
Truck Year
Update on this post.
Got my truck back after about 3 months at the dealer and a complete fuel system rebuild. drove about 200~ miles and CEL popped back up. Read the codes and determined it was the DPF sensor. Luckily I was able to talk the dealer in to taking it in on short notice and they replaced that. Now things seem to be working normal after 1,000 miles or so except now I am having a “service air suspension” warning come up that I am trying to diagnose….but…. At least I have a running truck!

SJK

Aug 19, 2018
Truck Year
Update on this post.
Got my truck back after about 3 months at the dealer and a complete fuel system rebuild. drove about 200~ miles and CEL popped back up. Read the codes and determined it was the DPF sensor. Luckily I was able to talk the dealer in to taking it in on short notice and they replaced that. Now things seem to be working normal after 1,000 miles or so except now I am having a “service air suspension” warning come up that I am trying to diagnose….but…. At least I have a running truck!
I responded to your post April 20 saying my truck was already in the shop for 30 days getting a new turbo. I just picked up my truck June 16. It ran so good I drove it home , cleaned it out and off to the Toyota dealer I went. I've dealt with the same Chrysler dealer for over 15yrs and hated to leave them but, no more FCA for me. Good luck !

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Update on this post.
Glad your truck is running, I would check all the electrical connectors you can find under the truck and make sure everything is tightly secured.

Tmckinney20

Nov 17, 2022
Truck Year
I responded to your post April 20 saying my truck was already in the shop for 30 days getting a new turbo. I just picked up my truck June 16. It ran so good I drove it home , cleaned it out and off to the Toyota dealer I went. I've dealt with the same Chrysler dealer for over 15yrs and hated to leave them but, no more FCA for me. Good luck !
Glad to hear you are gone. This forum is to help one another with problems. It's not a Facebook group where you grip, whine, and complain the entire time. Enjoy your new Toyota. I have one and love it as a second truck.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Glad to hear you are gone. This forum is to help one another with problems. It's not a Facebook group where you grip, whine, and complain the entire time. Enjoy your new Toyota. I have one and love it as a second truck.
Well said

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year

I hear Ya.. But your compliant against FCA is not warranted.... Fiat and their love affair with VM Motori Cento Italy is your gripe. Fiat/VM Motori Cento wanted to bring that engine to N/A...It was developed By GM/VM for Euro GM Caddy's that Never happened, it was to recover the $$$$$$$$ investment So Fiat/VM dump that engine onto N/A.... in the end that decision costed Fiat $4Billion in looses+. It's pathetic How stupidly the matter was handled. It was well known that the power plant was a Hero/Zero build back in 2016... IMO anyone who purchase after that was foolish to take the risk in long term or out of warranty Ownership.