• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Won’t start after fuel filter change

Theheathster

Dec 10, 2019
Truck Year
I changed my fuel filter for the first time. It’s a 16 and has right at 30k. I bought it used with 18k so I figured this was a good time to change it. I put in the Geno’s drain plug and may have over tightened it. I put the cap on and primed it with no leaks that I could see. The truck will not start. Is it possible to over prime it or is it just getting air in the system by the stripped drain plug?

John

Nov 13, 2015
If it's sucking in air through the drain plug it may not start or show any leaks. It's not possible to to over prime. Have you completed the prime process at least 3 times?

Theheathster

Dec 10, 2019
Truck Year
If it's sucking in air through the drain plug it may not start or show any leaks. It's not possible to to over prime. Have you completed the prime process at least 3 times?
Yessir. I removed the drain plug just to see if the yellow one would go back in and it wouldn’t. I put the brass one in and it was blown out during the priming. I’ve ordered a new canister assembly and should get it this evening. I’m not going to use that brass drain plug. I’d rather take a diesel shower than go through this again. I was afraid that it would be possible to prime it too much and “flood” it or something. Hopefully the new cap will get it running

John

Nov 13, 2015
You should be good with a new cap. No worry about flooding no matter how many times you prime it.. With the drain loose it's only sucking air and will never prime. Good luck with the new cap..

Theheathster

Dec 10, 2019
Truck Year
You should be good with a new cap. No worry about flooding no matter how many times you prime it.. With the drain loose it's only sucking air and will never prime. Good luck with the new cap..
Thank you so much. Here’s another question. Since I had to buy the whole canister, would it be best to change out the canister or just put the new cap in? I’d rather just put the cap but I was told I may want to just change the whole canister.

Theheathster

Dec 10, 2019
Truck Year
I replaced the cap, primed it 6 times and it would not start. I said f it and replaced the whole canister, primed it 6 times and no start. Should I let it turn over and over until it starts or should I start suspecting something else?

John

Nov 13, 2015
Either the push-button or FOB (tip start) should just do its thing. You don't have to manually determine how long it cranks. After priming, it might have to crank for several seconds before it starts. Let it do it's thing and see if it starts. It will stop cranking on its own if it cranks for too long. I never timed it but I'm going to guess mine takes 4-6 seconds to start after replacing the filter.

You are putting the truck in the run position without starting when priming correct? You should hear the pump running.

Theheathster

Dec 10, 2019
Truck Year
Either the push-button or FOB (tip start) should just do its thing. You don't have to manually determine how long it cranks. After priming, it might have to crank for several seconds before it starts. Let it do it's thing and see if it starts. It will stop cranking on its own if it cranks for too long. I never timed it but I'm going to guess mine takes 4-6 seconds to start after replacing the filter.

You are putting the truck in the run position without starting when priming correct? You should hear the pump running.

yessir. I can hear the pump running. It turns over and over and over and doesn’t start. I’m puzzled. I believe I’m doing everything right and it won’t start

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
yessir. I can hear the pump running. It turns over and over and over and doesn’t start. I’m puzzled. I believe I’m doing everything right and it won’t start

Silly questions maybe but a coupe simple things to check
did you get the rubber o ring on the canister replaced and installed in the correct place?
Did you get the fuel filter seated properly so it "clicks" ?
Did you double check the fuel filter # and make sure it is the correct one?

Theheathster

Dec 10, 2019
Truck Year
did you get the rubber o ring on the canister replaced and installed in the correct place?
Yessir. I ended up buying a new fuel filter canister so the oring and filter are oem and brand new. I don’t believe it is a stupid question but I’m pretty sure everything is done correctly.

Theheathster

Dec 10, 2019
Truck Year
Update. I had it towed to the local dealer and they found that the injector pump was out. They put a new pump in under warranty and it is back up and running. Had to pull the camper up to north Texas from the coast with the wife’s truck but the old hemi did well

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Update. I had it towed to the local dealer and they found that the injector pump was out. They put a new pump in under warranty and it is back up and running. Had to pull the camper up to north Texas from the coast with the wife’s truck but the old hemi did well

Glad they got you taken care of!

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
good, glad you are taken care of, just did mine this weekend. i have the brass drain plug and i think it works great!

Sprayerdave

Nov 2, 2020
Truck Year
I just did a filter change, 4th one I've done. Could not get filter to click into the cap. Tried it anyway and truck won't start. Took it out and re-did it, still nothing so I took it apart again and tried to put old filter in and it wouldn't click either. It did last change but not now. Any ideas?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The blue collar that's inside the filter stayed on the filter housing?

Last edited:

Acretech

Mar 22, 2023
Truck Year
Did you ever solve your problem im having the same issue, ive purchased a new canister with factory filter with no luck