• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Won't start

Scott39

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
Hello all. I have a 16 Eco with 50k. I recently had an issue with it just cranking over and not starting. This happened a couple of months ago and then again a couple of days ago. Both times was on cold start. Put the Fob in and turn and is would just crank over. You could let go of the fob and it would still crank. After about 20 tries it finally started. The first time it happened My battery was weak and it needed to be replaced so I thought that was the problem Until a couple days ago when it did it again. Took it to the dealership and they could not find anything wrong. Has anybody experienced this issue? Thanks

John

Nov 13, 2015
Hello all. I have a 16 Eco with 50k. I recently had an issue with it just cranking over and not starting. This happened a couple of months ago and then again a couple of days ago. Both times was on cold start. Put the Fob in and turn and is would just crank over. You could let go of the fob and it would still crank. After about 20 tries it finally started. The first time it happened My battery was weak and it needed to be replaced so I thought that was the problem Until a couple days ago when it did it again. Took it to the dealership and they could not find anything wrong. Has anybody experienced this issue? Thanks
Was it towed to the dealer? How did they get it started?
It's normal with the tip start to not hold the fob in the start position. Just turn once and release is normal.

Scott39

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
No it started after about 20 tries. When you let go of the fob it keeps cranking by itself without starting.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
Hi, just had that happen yesterday camping in Island Park Idaho, left the camp spot, got to the top of what we call the Ashton Hill, topped the hill shifted down to second gear to decend the hill which is some what steep as I always have done (2015 Ram ecodiesel 120,000 miles), it quit on the way down, towing camper and RZR trailers. pulled over to the side of the road, called my son to come and get us. had to undo the drive shaft to roll it on the trailer. what a hassle. anyway long story short, using my autel code reader, pulled code P0336 which is a generic code for a crankshaft positioning sensor, I had noticed last Feb a slight miss, everything i have read this common, So Monday we are going to change the sensor which requires removing the transmission. I will try to keep you posted.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Hi, just had that happen yesterday camping in Island Park Idaho, left the camp spot, got to the top of what we call the Ashton Hill, topped the hill shifted down to second gear to decend the hill which is some what steep as I always have done (2015 Ram ecodiesel 120,000 miles), it quit on the way down, towing camper and RZR trailers. pulled over to the side of the road, called my son to come and get us. had to undo the drive shaft to roll it on the trailer. what a hassle. anyway long story short, using my autel code reader, pulled code P0336 which is a generic code for a crankshaft positioning sensor, I had noticed last Feb a slight miss, everything i have read this common, So Monday we are going to change the sensor which requires removing the transmission. I will try to keep you posted.
For future reference:

MANUAL PARK RELEASE — 8 SPEED
TRANSMISSION

In order to push or tow the vehicle in cases where the
transmission will not shift out of PARK (such as a dead
battery), a Manual Park Release is available.
Follow these steps to activate the Manual Park Release:
1. Firmly apply the parking brake.
2. Using a small screwdriver or similar tool, remove the
Manual Park Release access cover, which is just above
the parking brake release handle, below and to the left
of the steering column.
3. Using the screwdriver or similar tool, push the
Manual Park Release lever locking tab (just below the
middle of the lever) to the right.
4. While holding the locking tab in the disengaged
position, pull the tether strap to rotate the lever
rearward, until it locks in place pointing towards the
driver’s seat. Release the locking tab and verify that
the Manual Park Release lever is locked in the released
position.
5. The vehicle is now out of PARK and can be towed.
Release the parking brake only when the vehicle is
securely connected to a tow vehicle.

Attachments

• freewheel lever.jpg
    freewheel lever.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 28

John

Nov 13, 2015
Not sure about the first time. But yes, about 1/8 of a tank this last time.
There's been several reported hard start issues with less than 1/4 tank. I can't remember for sure but I think its
's the fuel level sending unit that causes the problem. Maybe it sucks air? Let me see if I can find it.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Not sure about the first time. But yes, about 1/8 of a tank this last time.
Okay generally it's the lift pump/low pressure fuel pump failing (this is the pump located in the tank). It's not uncommon. I believe the gauge/fuel level sensor is incorporated into the pump but not positive. One rare case of gas in the fuel, but that doesn't sound like your issue. The only other single cause I found was the gauge/fuel level sensor was thought to be out of calibration. This case turned out to be another failed fuel pump.

Scott39

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
Okay generally it's the lift pump/low pressure fuel pump failing (this is the pump located in the tank). It's not uncommon. I believe the gauge/fuel level sensor is incorporated into the pump but not positive. One rare case of gas in the fuel, but that doesn't sound like your issue. The only other single cause I found was the gauge/fuel level sensor was thought to be out of calibration. This case turned out to be another failed fuel pump.
Thank you. Why doesn't my dealership know this?

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
The fuel pump needs fuel coverage to keep the heat down that is what Kills the pump over time

John

Nov 13, 2015
A lot of dealers out there don't work on many ecodiesels and this issue does not throw a code

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for the info on getting the trans out of park. We were really busy on a steep pass trying to get it loaded on a trailer, and the RV and RZR trailer hooked on the Jeep just to get home. The traffic going to West Yellowstone is nuts. Should have looked in the book if that info is there? Tank was full of fuel and everything was normal. But as a note I have a PPEI Tune, straight exhaust, with the stock to 60 hp tuning option which I have found that you should only run as a stock setting because of EGT temps, smoke issues and coolant temps. I had to remove the EGR because it was leaking coolant externally it was the cheapest fix I could do. The Truck has run perfectly since the changes Until now, and what I believe at this point is the Crankshaft positioning sensor.

jmeche

Jan 28, 2019
Truck Year
Did you known there is a simple way to put it in neutral?

mpdibiase

Aug 5, 2020
Truck Year
I'm having the same problem with the start, even after changing the battery; although I'm only getting one crank turn over everytime I try to start it.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
I'm having the same problem with the start, even after changing the battery; although I'm only getting one crank turn over everytime I try to start it.
Welcome 1st post,
Did it shut down during operation, or not starting after having worked perfectly?
Tell us some more: year, kms or history