• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Your oil pressure numbers

SeanPwnery

Nov 30, 2022
Truck Year
I grew up in the age of building Small-block Chevy engines in your garage for a friend with nothing more than a couple manuals, a few JC Whitney & Jeggs magazines, a few websites on the screen, a couple packs of cigarettes and about 100 2-liter bottles of Dr. Pepper, then later beer as I got older. Back then the rule of thumb was always "10 psi for every 1,000 rpm is sufficient." When I got into diesels, it started with me simply swapping in Cummins 6BT engines into full-sized Jeep pickup trucks and Wagoneers/Cherokees so I didn't really get into the details of their differences to gas engines (I was young, pretty stupid if I'm honest but they all worked so how bad could it be?).

Anyway, with my '16 on a cold start (first start of the day, not necessarily cold temperatures outside) I'm used to seeing about 33-38psi at idle, while driving the OBC suggests I'm getting north of 65 psi - sounds great but as I've read around here the numbers are made up by algorithmic assumption, not actual pressure numbers - but they're close.

After warm up, idle PSI is about 19, and while driving along I may see 35psi or so. As these engines are what I generally call "low-stress" (RPM's never really above 3,200 or so with normal driving) these numbers "seem" okay to me, however my gas-powered brain is shouting at me "Shouldn't these numbers be at least twice as much as this???" I honestly don't know.

What kind of numbers do you guys get? Cold vs. warmed up? At idle, and say while cruising along?

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Mine runs around the same on the dash, I believe tcdiesel did a manual gauge and they’re higher but I don’t recall