• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel Oil Change Intervals

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
The dealership when I had my truck serviced for the first oil change at 7k miles. Put a sticker in the windshield to return at 13k miles I'm not sure this guy even knew what he was working on.

I have 8500 Miles on my 2015, I just changed the oil for the second time at the dodge dealer. the sticker is at 3K each time!
I'm not fussing so much as the engine is still new but those mofos charged me $170 each time

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have 8500 Miles on my 2015, I just changed the oil for the second time at the dodge dealer. the sticker is at 3K each time!
I'm not fussing so much as the engine is still new but those mofos charged me $170 each time

3K intervals are way to short... I would recommend following the owners manual and not what the dealer puts on the windshield. :)

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Yea heck with that. Sounds like your dealer thinks you have a Hemi. But I think even those are longer intervals then 3k.

If at all possible, change it yourself. It is by far the cleanest and easiest oil change I've ever done. Plus DIY will save some cheddar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

DRMAC

Oct 10, 2016
Truck Year
Here is what found in the Ram Truck Manual....

MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE — 1500 3.0L DIESEL ENGINE

Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.

Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures will influence when the “Oil Change Required” message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).

NOTE:

Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern for fleet customers.

Thank you seiko, I appreciate your insight about the maintenance schedule you communicate very confident . I'm new to diesel technology, from what I got from your thread was change oil min 7k max 10k or by direction, true?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I would like to know if anyone has had the "Oil Change Required" message displayed at an interval substantially less then 10000 miles since reset?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I would like to know if anyone has had the "Oil Change Required" message displayed at an interval substantially less then 10000 miles since reset?

I don't think it's even possible... it's upon driver judgement to change early based on load, idling, and various stress. But the oil change interval won't change in the evic

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
I don't think it's even possible... it's upon driver judgement to change early based on load, idling, and various stress. But the oil change interval won't change in the evic

I thought the evic calculated based on driving habits and other stuff??

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I change 7-8K miles, I do OAs every 4-8K , I like T-6

Attachments

• 15 ECODIESEL oil balckstone -052916.pdf
    21.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 15 ECODIESEL 1500 oil Balckstone.pdf
    20.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 15 ECODIESEL oil blackstone -061316.pdf
    21.8 KB · Views: 15

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I thought the evic calculated based on driving habits and other stuff??

It should be use as touch tone only IMO. OAs I would consider mandatory on the ED, given the history of 3 years of failures.

Reimaster

Dec 26, 2016
Truck Year

Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.

Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures will influence when the “Oil Change Required” message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).

NOTE:

Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern for fleet customers.

NOTE:

If the oil condition sensor takes all those parameters into consideration and owners report mileage ranging from 3500 to 10,000, between oil changes, then that sensor has to monitor more than just mileage.

PilotguyR6

Jun 20, 2016
Truck Year
Everyone needs to be careful telling people that the manual says its a 10K interval for the oil change. It says 10K MAX. Some people might have to change it alot sooner than that depending on their driving characteristics.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Everyone needs to be careful telling people that the manual says its a 10K interval for the oil change. It says 10K MAX. Some people might have to change it alot sooner than that depending on their driving characteristics.

Very true. The only way to really know is to have an oil sample done and go by those results.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

Les

Mar 14, 2017
Truck Year
Hello,

Does anyone know the standard oil change intervals for the EcoDiesel engine? I'm assuming 5K + miles correct?
Im having issues with my 2016 ram 4x4 eco....engine light, message of full filter and throttle body control, loss power took in and they changed oil at 5705,,,,,now 5000 mi later same thing happened both messages no warning , loss power and again they changed oil at my cost 185,,,then 150 miles later same messages!!!...im getting rid of this truck because its undependable, unreliable and I don't want to be stuck in the desert with my son helpless!!!..lemon/buyback process being started but first I have to write to the manufacturer for notice....sorry but I like Dodge just not the ecodiesel..now Im just waiting to see when this next stoppage is going to be..

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Im having issues with my 2016 ram 4x4 eco....engine light, message of full filter and throttle body control, loss power took in and they changed oil at 5705,,,,,now 5000 mi later same thing happened both messages no warning , loss power and again they changed oil at my cost 185,,,then 150 miles later same messages!!!...im getting rid of this truck because its undependable, unreliable and I don't want to be stuck in the desert with my son helpless!!!..lemon/buyback process being started but first I have to write to the manufacturer for notice....sorry but I like Dodge just not the ecodiesel..now Im just waiting to see when this next stoppage is going to be..
So their fix was to clear the codes, change oil, and send you on your way? Twice??? Did they perform any updates to the ECM?

Sounds to me like you should see a different dealership.

Sorry you're having troubles...

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
It sounds like the dealership is sticking it to you, they have no business charging you for oil changes at 150 miles when the computer is faulting out. I acknowledge there may be an issue with your truck but the service department is doing nothing to correct that

Les

Mar 14, 2017
Truck Year
exactly...so on to the next step...if they are blaming me for not driving it enuf or I like their other quote, "This truck is not meant for the city"...there are just clearing the codes. No where in the manual does it state any of their information nor did the salesman advise me of that, well of course not they would not have sold the truck..They do flash updates and clear codes..but they can't tell me why its not regenerating itself....

HarleyRob

Sep 15, 2016
Truck Year
Find another stealership. I guess I am pretty lucky with my dealership so far. Purchased 3 oil changes in advance for 97.00 each. A friend has a 2015 and only uses it to pull a horse trailer and haul hay so very low miles with zero issues. I have a 2016 I drive daily both city and highway with zero issues so far. I only have 15k on it though.