• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DEF?

bob1340

Jun 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I am new to modern diesels and DEF. How long does a tank of DEF last? I have 1500 miles on my 2018 model and the gauge is at about 98% still.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
I usually get around 3500-4000 km for 1/3 of a tank, so 10-12,000 km per tank is a guess (maybe 7000 miles)? You'll last a while, usually top some up every oil change. It's good to try to run it low so you get a fresh new tank rather than keeping 3/4 tank of old DEF in the tank and topping it up. DEF does have an expiry date, and it'll crystalize.

Keep an eye on your DEF injector, they tend to crystalize up every 4000 miles or so. You can clean up the injector really easily, just youtube search "2014 ram ecodiesel DEF injector cleaning & maintenance" for a good how-to video"

bob1340

Jun 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yes I searched that. Sounds like a good idea to check it at oil changes.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Yes I searched that. Sounds like a good idea to check it at oil changes.
I clean my injector every oil change, if not sooner, they crystalize up pretty quick. I just don't want to be throwing emission codes...

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Sorry hit it with a steamer. It'll come off like butter

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
probably, that might be a little big.

I have something that is a hardwood floor cleaner / steamer, but it comes with a bunch of other attachments, more like this one, the top nozzle attachment on this link is great cause you can direct the steam right at the injector and in 3 seconds it's clean, and you can see the tiny holes that the def comes through.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
you want something that you can focus the steam and blow a nice clean shot of steam at it. If it's just a puff cloud of steam, I don't know if it'll do the job? Anyone else able to chime in here??

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
you don't need any chemicals, just steam. you'll be amazed at how much crystallization there is on the def injector, and how clean it comes out!

I bet if you had a def related issue, and brought it to the dealer, they'd charge you to drop the def tank, empty it out, purge the lines, refill it, then tell you they tested your DEF and it wasn't MOPAR DEF, blame it on that. Yet, 99% of the time, it's probably a plugged up injector which can be cleaned so easily, it's a 5 min job once you know where it is. This simple job should be in the maintenance manual!!

bob1340

Jun 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I’m a wrench head so this has been researched. And the cleaning of the EGR as well. I’m ordering a bypass filter soon as well. Being proactive isn’t only smart, but to me it’s also fun. I have a CA rig so no delete can happen.

bob1340

Jun 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
For $40 I could use that steamer for a couple things.

bob1340

Jun 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Very difficult to get a tune in CA. Diesels get checked every two years now. Gas is 4 years.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Send it to a friend in another state gde doesn't show on a scan. sofa king u can change it back to stock every two years he sells to commiefornia