• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

misfires on new 2020 ecodiesel

bergie

May 17, 2020
Truck Year
Hi,
Just purchased a special order Built to Serve Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. Drove to California from Washington State and the truck performed flawlessly. Back home now with 2000 miles on the engine. Two days ago while driving the truck exhibited a slight shutter as if it was starved for fuel when I depressed the accelerator pedal. Just for a few seconds and then no more. Yesterday I went out to start the truck and let it idle for a few moments which I did. Put the truck into drive and it immediately started stuttering and almost acting like it would stop. Did this over and over for a few minutes with no ability to drive. Called the dealer and they had the truck towed in to the dealer. Before the tow arrived, I went out and restarted the truck. It started right up and I drove it around the block with no issues. Told the service manager about this even before the tow got to the house. They got the truck to the dealership and put the code box on and multiple cylinders were indicated as misfiring. Any thoughts? The diesel mechanic was not on duty so the truck is now at the dealership until some time next week. Any thoughts? And the fuel tank is almost full.
Best Regards, Bergie

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome 2the group they r having problems with the solenoids on the injectors big bucks to fix

bergie

May 17, 2020
Truck Year
Just heard from the dodge ram service department. The EGR is evidently defective. The truck has 2,000 miles on it and according to the service folks, the EGR is in the open all the time mode. Sad that after so few miles on the newest generation ecodiesel, this problem arises. On top of that the part is on back order. Not very pleased to say the least. Hoping that this was an anomaly. Wonder if there are other concerns some of you have had after only a few miles on one of these engines.
Also does anyone know of a good company that offers extended warranties for this truck with the ecodiesel? I would like to find a reputable warranty firm that would provide something to follow the standard ram warranties.

Thanks, Bergie

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
Just heard from the dodge ram service department. The EGR is evidently defective. The truck has 2,000 miles on it and according to the service folks, the EGR is in the open all the time mode. Sad that after so few miles on the newest generation ecodiesel, this problem arises. On top of that the part is on back order. Not very pleased to say the least. Hoping that this was an anomaly. Wonder if there are other concerns some of you have had after only a few miles on one of these engines.
Also does anyone know of a good company that offers extended warranties for this truck with the ecodiesel? I would like to find a reputable warranty firm that would provide something to follow the standard ram warranties.

Thanks, Bergie

Damn Bergie, I thought they fixed the EGRs on the 5th Gen? I’m sorry to hear of your trouble. Hopefully FCA pulls through for you!

Mxvet0354

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
Bergie, while not an EGR issue, my 2020 with 300 miles is at the dealership for a complete new engine. Oil leak that could not be fixed, so I am assuming an issue with the casting or machining of the block. No new engines in the US according to the dealership.

Not good at all.....

bergie

May 17, 2020
Truck Year
Bergie, while not an EGR issue, my 2020 with 300 miles is at the dealership for a complete new engine. Oil leak that could not be fixed, so I am assuming an issue with the casting or machining of the block. No new engines in the US according to the dealership.

Not good at all.....
Wow, so sorry for your engine loss issue. And with only 300 miles on yours! I guess I should feel grateful that we had no issues driving to California and back before our problem ensued. We got this truck and ecodiesel since we are now retired and planned on trailer trips long distance. Not feeling real confident after reading your post and with our experience. Certainly having the new vehicle warranty(s) is okay to a point but we are expecting this truck and motor to last long after the warranty expires. If anyone has experience with a good extended warranty company I would appreciate the name.
Best Regards, Bergie

shadyranch007

May 19, 2020
Truck Year
oh, wow... I can't imagine needing that much work done with only 300 miles. I'm a mechanic by trade and the Chevrolet house was my first real job at 19, now 53.. Just like a repair after a wreck, I feel it's just not the same after the repair. The factory workers have special equipment and install many engines daily vs the average mechanic at a dealership. Are there any lemon laws that you can use permitting it would qualify? I know we have them in Tx but don't know if that would fall under it. I'd be pushing for new vehicle personally. I have a 2020 Longhorn Laramie that I purchased in Jan with only 2000 miles on it so far. I took a leap of faith on the gen 3 and hope there's never a catastrophic failure. I tend to keep new trucks 10-15 years but only have 120k miles on my 05 Tundra as my primary vehicle.

Mxvet0354

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
I am in complete agreement with you, worked in body shops all through high school and college. Even with all the specialized equipment, it isn't factory. The cab has been removed twice and now an entirely new engine. I am working with them now to see how it goes. I do not want to do the whole lemon law thing, I just want a "new" truck. I will pursue that route if needed but hope I do not need to. Hopefully we can figure something much easier out. I will keep the forum updated.

bergie

May 17, 2020
Truck Year
Just heard from my service rep and although hard to believe, he says the EGR part is on back order and the delay could range from days to over two months showing up in July. This is not what I wanted to hear.

Mxvet0354

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
Certainly not good news!! Hopefully the dealership is giving you something comparable to drive while you wait possibly months for the parts. Good luck and keep us updated.

bergie

May 17, 2020
Truck Year
This was not good news and all this after waiting close to 5 months for the truck from time of purchase. We will need a truck to use for however long the delay turns out. We sold our other truck and a loaner car does us no useful good. A few days might be understandable but no amount of we are so sorry can make up for this issue. Furthermore, there should have been an accessible parts inventory no matter how new this model engine might be as far as we are concerned. In fact it is hard to believe that in cases such as ours, a new part is not at the engine factory that could be overnighted here. Just my opinion. This will not play well if FCA doesnt step up soon.
Bergie

Mxvet0354

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
Bergie - I hope you are having much better luck with FCA than I have. It has been a complete and utter joke this far. No calls back, everyone blaming everyone else. Unprofessional on a level I have never experienced in my 50+ years. I will let an attorney handle it from here on out for us. We were very patient and willing to pay the difference to move to another new truck and didn't even have luck with that. Very disappointed in every aspect.

I wish anyone the best of luck dealing with them, I would almost promise it will not end well and you will receive no help or support.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
This thread is no surprised to me, I was at Cat when engineering attempted dual EGR, it was simply dropped due to to operational complexity. I have no sympathy for 2018+ owners, its well documented and published the quagmire of problems of VM3.0 over development and under engineering. That being said it does sadden Me to see someone be Fiat's VM next victim, The American Auto group (FCA) is no supporter of VM, another reason handling matters is so difficult. FCA is forced to handle VM residual CHIT.

Mxvet0354

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
TC - I see your point 100% and agree. All my research lead me to believe this generation of the 3.0VM had addressed the known issues.

Sure wasn't the first time I have been wrong and I am sure not the last. Boy have I learned how FCA takes care of their customers though, that is worse than having a new truck you can't use and needs a new engine at 300 miles.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The Dealer has a lot to do with it... What's your relationship with selling Dealer. Fiat being hard nosed on VM products...that just makes it more difficult for Warranty and Take backs. Generally the Dealer can push through the take back on grounds of re-sale Not so with VM products, Fiat not will willing to cover the loss, then it becomes a nose bleed for the Dealer.

Mxvet0354

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
Just a local dealership, no real connections or relationships that I feel could help press the issue. FCA is saying to handle it through the dealership and the dealership is saying it is completely out of their control, that it is a FCA decision on whether to replace the truck or not. Just a big run around from everyone. I cannot get a straight answer from anyone. There is supposedly a "area manager" that is working on it and makes the final call but no phone number, no email address and no way to contact him.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yep... The Dealer sold you the The truck in any type of ligation the Dealer is legally mentioned they are the required contact on take backs. It seems their not being upfront on the matter. I would hope you have a loaner?