• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

100% Exhaust Filter

luckieclark

May 27, 2023
Truck Year
We had np choice but to drive the truck back to Tennessee from Hilton Head Island last night at 100% and did not regain. Low on power but made it home. What is a easy fix? New to the page and learning about this 2017 Ram EcoDiesel.

Tmckinney20

Nov 17, 2022
Truck Year
We had np choice but to drive the truck back to Tennessee from Hilton Head Island last night at 100% and did not regain. Low on power but made it home. What is a easy fix? New to the page and learning about this 2017 Ram EcoDiesel.
Since you are new to the diesel game, you may consider letting your dealer complete a Regen. That will give you time to learn the truck and how to plan/drive the truck to make sure regens are completed within a drive cycle. It needs to be at a specific engine temp and rpm for a specific amount of time to Regen on its own. It is simple once you get the hang of it, but at the same time, a pain when she needs to Regen in town.

Last edited:

luckieclark

May 27, 2023
Truck Year
We did drive it over 7 hours from SC to TN. Running 2000 to 3000 rpm. I don't mind taking it to the dealer but also do not want to get ripped off if it is something I can do my self. I am very mechanic inclined mostly older than 2000 model cars and trucks.

Tmckinney20

Nov 17, 2022
Truck Year
We did drive it over 7 hours from SC to TN. Running 2000 to 3000 rpm. I don't mind taking it to the dealer but also do not want to get ripped off if it is something I can do my self. I am very mechanic inclined mostly older than 2000 model cars and trucks.
You need to buy an alpha obd scanner and the correct cable. Then follow the steps to complete a forced Regen. Once it reaches temperature (think it was about 150ish) then you can activate the process. Takes about an hour and not hard to do.

Tmckinney20

Nov 17, 2022
Truck Year
Were you able to complete the Regen without a trip to the dealer?

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Since you state that you are new to the diesel world I thought a few tips that were not mentioned until you got a resolution.
Once you get the message of 100% Diesel Particulant Filter you are now in non Regen and Limp Home Mode, no top gear, down rated HP.
Never shut down the engine if you have the Active Regen message on the dash if it is not below 80%.
I recommend refilling DEF tank at 50% to keep the pump failure rate down.
I also recommend refilling fuel tank at 50% for the same reason, there is a fuel lift pump in the tank that feeds the HPFP.
In the winter add a diesel fuel anti gelling additive at each fill, do your research on quality and efficacy.
There is a continuing discussion on engine oil, use a good oil, I use Rotella T6 5w-40 in my two eco's and 15w-40 in my Cummins. (I also do an OIl Analysis on each engine at each oil change, to track contamination and metals.)
I recommend a fuel filter change at each oil change until you get an idea on how fast your filters are becoming full.
It sounds like you spend enough time at highway speeds, that will subvert most emission control issues that accompany modern diesels, as well as keeping your oil free of water and acid contamination.
Good luck and enjoy a great truck.

luckieclark

May 27, 2023
Truck Year
Since you state that you are new to the diesel world I thought a few tips that were not mentioned until you got a resolution.
Once you get the message of 100% Diesel Particulant Filter you are now in non Regen and Limp Home Mode, no top gear, down rated HP.
Never shut down the engine if you have the Active Regen message on the dash if it is not below 80%.
I recommend refilling DEF tank at 50% to keep the pump failure rate down.
I also recommend refilling fuel tank at 50% for the same reason, there is a fuel lift pump in the tank that feeds the HPFP.
In the winter add a diesel fuel anti gelling additive at each fill, do your research on quality and efficacy.
There is a continuing discussion on engine oil, use a good oil, I use Rotella T6 5w-40 in my two eco's and 15w-40 in my Cummins. (I also do an OIl Analysis on each engine at each oil change, to track contamination and metals.)
I recommend a fuel filter change at each oil change until you get an idea on how fast your filters are becoming full.
It sounds like you spend enough time at highway speeds, that will subvert most emission control issues that accompany modern diesels, as well as keeping your oil free of water and acid contamination.
Good luck and enjoy a great truck.
We have done all that and after the 3rd time and was continuing to be a problem. We had it diesel tuned and no longer have the issues.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Awesome news. I use Green Diesel Engineering tune.

Waterboy

Jan 7, 2024
Truck Year
Awesome news. I use Green Diesel Engineering tune.
I am also new to eco diesel engine and wonder what the large amount of engine failures are caused by. I have a 2016 with 138 k as of now it’s running fine the oil was changed at every 5 k I also used Rotella 5 w40 I try to run in the 19 to2100 rpm range. Should I worry about the engine failure problem

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I am also new to eco diesel engine and wonder what the large amount of engine failures
While there have been a disturbing amount of engine failures the failure rate is not large, it's only .92%.
There's a lot of speculation as to why they fail but nothing absolute other than the lower-end examples. It's the luck of the draw. One owner has reported he's on his third failure while there are Ecos with over 300,000 miles and no failures. My 2016 Eco, purchased new, has been trouble free. Maintain yours properly and enjoy it.

truckermike07

Jan 14, 2024
Truck Year
My understanding is alot of it has to do with how much highway driving you do vs city. Highway is where it regens and keeps the filter clean. City driving and excessive idling builds up.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
My understanding is alot of it has to do with how much highway driving you do vs city. Highway is where it regens and keeps the filter clean. City driving and excessive idling builds up.
I don't believe short hop trips have anything to do with engine failure. The emissions system, EGR, DPF, and SCR are exhaust related, not engine related. Yes, the EGR system can destroy the intake manifold but not the engine.

Local, short-hop driving where the truck doesn't or hardly get to operating temps is the worst thing for any diesel, especially the Ecodiesel. That describes my 2016. It only occasionally gets a good drive at operating temps. So I monitor the soot level to know when it is close to a regen. When it's about to regen or when it does I get on the freeway and let it finish. There have been times when I was unable to do that but I make sure to cause the regen as soon as I can. While running errands I've had to stop three times during a regen, again I make sure it eventually completes. I have never had an alert or problem. Some say my DPF will fail sooner than a truck running at temp every day, like 100,000 miles vs 150,000. miles. The dealer doesn't agree with that. Not a problem as my truck will never see 100,000 miles in my lifetime.

Waterboy

Jan 7, 2024
Truck Year
Thanks for the info. Will using the manual shift in the transmission to maintain the rpm’s in the 19 to 2200 range help? I have driven a lot of heavy trucks with manual transmission and your rpm’s should match the speed that the gear you are driving in and not lugging the engine

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I don't believe short hop trips have anything to do with engine failure. The emissions system, EGR, DPF, and SCR are exhaust related, not engine related. Yes, the EGR system can destroy the intake manifold but not the engine.

Local, short-hop driving where the truck doesn't or hardly get to operating temps is the worst thing for any diesel, especially the Ecodiesel. That describes my 2016. It only occasionally gets a good drive at operating temps. So I monitor the soot level to know when it is close to a regen. When it's about to regen or when it does I get on the freeway and let it finish. There have been times when I was unable to do that but I make sure to cause the regen as soon as I can. While running errands I've had to stop three times during a regen, again I make sure it eventually completes. I have never had an alert or problem. Some say my DPF will fail sooner than a truck running at temp every day, like 100,000 miles vs 150,000. miles. The dealer doesn't agree with that. Not a problem as my truck will never see 100,000 miles in my lifetime.
I should add that my 2016 has been tuned since new, First by GDE, the SFT, and currently MRT. All with the EGR shut off. So my DPF is somewhat protected unlike a stock tuned Eco

Cbelt

May 3, 2022
Truck Year

I’m still curious as to how I can check suet levels or how i can tell when you truck is in regen mode. Not real keen on how one can test engine oil for contaminants?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I’m still curious as to how I can check suet levels or how i can tell when you truck is in regen mode. Not real keen on how one can test engine oil for contaminants?
I check the data using an EDGE CTS2 or 3. Many use the phone app Torque Pro.
For the oil you must send a sample to one of the labs

Cbelt

May 3, 2022
Truck Year
Thanks. I assumed the truck could do this without further add ons.
well, not the oil analysis of course.