• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

15 EcoDiesel Avoiding Common Issues

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Best I've had was 30.8 MPG hand calculated on a 700 mile trip.
that's amazing!! If you're not hard on the throttle, these trucks are quite amazing!

I learned how to slowly coast toward a red light and time it just right so that I am able to come to a slow roll instead of completely stop. Helps milage when you take off from a roll to still have the momentum to go rather than a total stop. I probably annoy the shit out of anyone behind me, but they can always pass...

ECODIESEL12

Aug 14, 2019
Truck Year
I agree, I think the problem is a lot of people bought them expecting to just put the key in and drive 250,000 miles cause "diesels are supposed to be known for their longevity." There may be a small handful who don't know much about cars, trucks, diesels or mechanics. They let things slip only because they don't have the background information or interest in learning, and then every problem becomes a bigger issue due to lack of information. This isn't the kind of vehicle that you can let things slip...

From what I've learned in the last 3 years, these Ecodiesels need a LOT of TLC and a watchful eye. If something looks, smells or feels suspicious, look into it, don't wait for it to blow up. Check it out asap... Keep an OBDII scanner handy cause these vehicles are all computer based now and any issue could leave you're stranded. Learn the truck, learn how to self-diagnose a problem. Understand what a regen is, understand how it works, when it works, what happens if you don't let the regen finish, what happens if regens get to 100%. some have no clue why their truck got to 100% and now they need dealer intervention and are all surprised. I've heard some say they've driven 50,000 miles and they're thinking they have had only 1 regen (cause they saw it on the evic), not realizing that the truck has been doing regens thousands of times unannounced...

I don't think this is the kind of truck you can just buy, drive and not have any understanding of how it works (you're just asking for trouble). These trucks require drivers who have some know-how and are willing to get their hands a little dirty and take good care of it. They are not a plug and pray truck... I hear so much bad stuff on here about these, and I hope mine will last, but who knows. I just hope i'm not driving a ticking time bomb... I'm hoping the GDE tune will at least give me a few more years until I can afford to trade it in for something newer.
Literally I could not have said it better. Diesels are totally different vehicles than gas to begin with. Modern day diesels chock full of emissions garbage are even more different than prior era diesels. That being said you hit the nail on the head! These are not turn key and go only vehicles. The ecodiesel especially. But I promise, the day i get mine over 300k miles ..... AND I WILL.... I'll post pics and a full review of how i got it to stay reliable.
My best advice to any ecod owner is be ready to get your hands dirty and stay vigilant with maintenance.... or dont get one/sell it fast

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Literally I could not have said it better. Diesels are totally different vehicles than gas to begin with. Modern day diesels chock full of emissions garbage are even more different than prior era diesels. That being said you hit the nail on the head! These are not turn key and go only vehicles. The ecodiesel especially. But I promise, the day i get mine over 300k miles ..... AND I WILL.... I'll post pics and a full review of how i got it to stay reliable.
My best advice to any ecod owner is be ready to get your hands dirty and stay vigilant with maintenance.... or dont get one/sell it fast
The nice thing now, is there is a LOT of information out there about these trucks, so if we take the time to read other's problems and solutions, there's a lot of helpful stuff out that that will help you make that 300,000 mile mark! Best of luck, I hope I can do the same.