• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2017 Ram engine failure

GreekGladiator14

May 18, 2022
Truck Year
This is an unfortunate first post on this forum. In reading some of these posts it appears there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. I'm not sure if I'm looking for advice or to just vent. Probably both.

In April 2021 I bought a 2017 EcoDiesel Big Horn. I bought it 3rd party just before things got crazy in the used car market, and felt like I got a pretty good deal especially since it only had about 22k miles on it. The prior owner had no major issues, had all receipts of oil changes / work done by the dealer (a NOX sensor had to be replaced at one point, and something regarding the DEF). I bought it to tow a 3400lb trailer. It was not my primary vehicle but I enjoyed driving it, and with decent fuel economy didn't shy from driving it to work. I even considered getting rid of my 2017 Subaru outback 3.6 to avoid paying insurance on an extra vehicle for no reason.

Good thing I didn't sell the other vehicle. My wife, toddler and I were just finishing a road trip with our camper from Arizona (I live outside Portland, OR). and 2.5 hours from home, as I was going up a slight incline on the highway, the truck began slowing down. No unusual noises, smells, smoke, nothing of the sort. My initial instinct was "this hill must be steeper than it seems" but within 2 seconds I realized it was more than that, and idled to the shoulder. As I was doing that, a "low oil" indicator went off on the dash. I quickly pulled over and shut off the engine thinking I don't want to damage the engine. I popped the hood and checked the oil, and it was full (granted it was a warm engine but still, definitely not empty). No leak around the filter (I've had that O-ring fail and leak before), nothing leaking underneath the truck. I turned the key to the battery mode and the truck said it was overheated, which was surprising to me since it didn't say that when I first pulled over. I let the engine cool as we waited for AAA, and tried to start but wouldn't even turn over.

Truck was towed to the local dealer. How we got the RV home is a separate story to be told over beers. After over a week of the truck sitting at the dealer, the first thing they said was the battery was dead and I have to have it replaced so they can look at the truck. They would not perform further diagnostics until I let them change the battery. The Cost? Over $650 for parts/labor FOR A BATTERY? Which btw was working just fine when I left the truck there, and obviously not the cause of the problem. I had just changed my own battery on the Subaru and it took me 10 minutes and $80! I gave them lip service, but they wouldn't allow me access to the truck in their shop to just do it myself. So I bit the bullet.

Next I hear from them that they did a "compression test" and had determined it had a "failed rod bearing" and that I need a new motor. I'm somewhat handy and do my own oil/filter changes, handle basic things like batteries, have even replaced spark plugs on my prior Subaru, changed a starter in my other truck ('94 Chevy 2500 gas engine) but this is foreign language territory for me. Obviously I've looked up what a rod bearing is, and find it hard to believe you can diagnose this problem so definitively without actually looking at the engine. They say that the entire engine needs to be replaced. Thankfully I transferred the MOPAR warranty from the prior owner, and it is still under warranty. I had done 2 oil/filter changes myself at the 8k miles mark and sent them receipts of those purchases. Unfortunately for the 2nd oil change, I could not find Rotella T6 anywhere and most of the other name brand oils were hard to find in sufficient quantity and I didn't want to mix oils. I ended up using Blain's 5W-40 that is rated CK-4 which after some brief research seemed appropriate for the truck. I wonder if they will find that as an excuse not to honor the warranty, and am preparing for a battle as I'm sure they will find some excuse to give me the run-around, whether it's that or something else. I trust dealers 0% but unfortunately I'm stuck.

Then I wonder, if they don't honor the warranty, should I bother paying to replace the motor, or just sell them the truck. Or do I replace it out of pocket, and then sell the truck myself. Or should I replace it, and keep the truck, because this stuff just happens sometimes? I've been wondering if I should just switch to another truck, since my confidence in the EcoDiesel is quite shaken now - and then, what truck? I've owned many vehicles and never had something this catastrophic happen before.

Your respectful comments, advice, and thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

SOMD_ECO

Jun 25, 2020
Truck Year
First off they can't hold your property. You should have told them you were going to call 911. I think that if this is really as widespread as it seems, a class action needs to start. I read these stories but if literally tens of thousands of these engines were failing I think it would be a news item. Maybe an investigative reporter needs to be tipped on this?