• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2018 Ecodiesel that runs rough

Wigginsdog

Nov 25, 2023
Truck Year
Hello everyone from Canada. I have a 2018 1500 Ecodiesel that I have only had for a month, the first Ecodiesel for me. The other as I was driving the truck and it skipped a beat, I did not think much of it. But as a few days went by it got worse and worse to the point I had it towed to the dealer. No lights on, just runs rough clears out runs rough again, back and forth like this every 30 seconds or so. The dealer checked the EGR, it's okay, did a DPF regen, but didn't fix it. Did an injector didn't fix it, changed the fuel filter. still doing it. They check the fuel pressure and it's good. After doing all of this they got a code for cylinder number 3, changed it, and that didn't fix it. They have now said they have no idea what's going on and they will need to spend hours looking into the problem here. Does anyone have this issue or have any ideas for me ?

Thanks all from Canada!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The dealership has No skilled VM 3.0 Techs, Your 1st mistake Buying one the worst Diesel powerplants in Decades IMO, VM 3.0 history is laden with problems, 2nd mistakes not asking if the Dealership has skilled Diesel tech familiar with VM 3.0 engine problem and history. My guess is you have a bad connection in one of the primary harnesses that supply's communications to ECM/PCM.

Wigginsdog

Nov 25, 2023
Truck Year
The dealership has No skilled VM 3.0 Techs, Your 1st mistake Buying one the worst Diesel powerplants in Decades IMO, VM 3.0 history is laden with problems, 2nd mistakes not asking if the Dealership has skilled Diesel tech familiar with VM 3.0 engine problem and history. My guess is you have a bad connection in one of the primary harnesses that supply's communications to ECM/PCM.
TC Diesel,

Thank you for the information. When this truck runs right, it's a very nice running, driving truck. I had a 2016 JEEP in my fleet for 3 years and 100K miles that we never did anything to but change oil, brakes, and tires. But now I have one of my own and will need to find the right person to look after it clearly. I got this truck used so I have no idea what the past owner did or didn't do as far as looking after this truck goes.

So do you think the engine wiring harness might be bad? It looks as if someone at some point was playing with it.

Thanks for the info!

John

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
There is a large wiring harness connector that runs along the frame under the drivers seat. It has been known to come loose and need to be reconnected. You did not not mention if you had a check engine light or any trouble codes. You might check the connections at the ECM also.

Connector.jpg

Wigginsdog

Nov 25, 2023
Truck Year
This is interesting, thank you for the info and the pic. The code was for number 3 injector and the dealer removed and replaced this injector, changed nothing. That is the only code that came up, number 3 injector. I will have a look at this connector and I will unplug it, add some dielectric grease and plug it back in. I will also do the same at the ECM.
thanks again for the good info!!
And Happy Thanksgiving to all. !!