• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

3.0 IS A PIECE OF CRAP

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
I've posted before with the problems with my 2016 3.0 Bighorn. It's been in the shop 7 times in the last year and a half for warranty work. Here's the latest.

One week ago it went into limp mode again and was undrivable. Same old message "electronic throttle bottle needs service". I swear that message code on this truck is connected to the interior lights as I see that message as about as frequently as the interior lights come on. The truck was at the dealer for three days. They "removed Tmap sensor Pressure Test Charge Air Cooler System and Replace EGR Cooler and Intake Manifold, Tmap sensor was melted, 25-VB-11-84". This was all the latest round of warranty work.

I got a call the truck was done and I picked it up at 4:30PM today. At 4:40PM the truck completely shut down on a busy 4-lane in rush hour traffic. All lights and bells were going off on the dash board including "Electronic Throttle Body" and "No Oil Pressure". Not good. I managed to get it out of traffic. It would not start. The engine made a funny clatter noises before it shut down. There was no warning, it just shut down. Mind you I was only 3 miles down the road from where I had just picked up the truck after 3 days of warranty work for "Electronic Throttle Body" issues.

I had to call a tow truck to tow it back to the dealership and will wait their diagnosis.

I have had 3 intake manifolds replaced in the last year. All have melted. The first time almost burnt the truck down.

Luckily, I have not accepted their $3,000 settlement and suspect I will be heading to court with them if they don't now buy back this truck.

The best advice I can give based on my own experience is DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE 3.0 DIESEL TRUCKS. My was fine up to about 45,000 miles, then it's been into the shop every 3-4 months for warranty work. I am able to get a loaner car up to $150 a week while it's being repaired but it's a "car" I have a diesel truck for a reason and the car doesn't do what I need it to do.

I welcome feedback from anyone on whether they have had these problems but this post basically is to advise that if you are considering a 3.0 diesel, you're looking at problems. I know the way to go is to do a delete/tune on the truck but I can't afford to void the warranty and there also are legal considerations.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The melted plenum's will continue, the only solution is missing parts that are the primary reason for failure. Even at that it will not remove the QC problems that develop over time and miles.

The QC issue's are now leaking out of Europe on past #s with the Eco 3.0VM

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I've posted before with the problems with my 2016 3.0 Bighorn. It's been in the shop 7 times in the last year and a half for warranty work. Here's the latest.

One week ago it went into limp mode again and was undrivable. Same old message "electronic throttle bottle needs service". I swear that message code on this truck is connected to the interior lights as I see that message as about as frequently as the interior lights come on. The truck was at the dealer for three days. They "removed Tmap sensor Pressure Test Charge Air Cooler System and Replace EGR Cooler and Intake Manifold, Tmap sensor was melted, 25-VB-11-84". This was all the latest round of warranty work.

I got a call the truck was done and I picked it up at 4:30PM today. At 4:40PM the truck completely shut down on a busy 4-lane in rush hour traffic. All lights and bells were going off on the dash board including "Electronic Throttle Body" and "No Oil Pressure". Not good. I managed to get it out of traffic. It would not start. The engine made a funny clatter noises before it shut down. There was no warning, it just shut down. Mind you I was only 3 miles down the road from where I had just picked up the truck after 3 days of warranty work for "Electronic Throttle Body" issues.

I had to call a tow truck to tow it back to the dealership and will wait their diagnosis.

I have had 3 intake manifolds replaced in the last year. All have melted. The first time almost burnt the truck down.

Luckily, I have not accepted their $3,000 settlement and suspect I will be heading to court with them if they don't now buy back this truck.

The best advice I can give based on my own experience is DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE 3.0 DIESEL TRUCKS. My was fine up to about 45,000 miles, then it's been into the shop every 3-4 months for warranty work. I am able to get a loaner car up to $150 a week while it's being repaired but it's a "car" I have a diesel truck for a reason and the car doesn't do what I need it to do.

I welcome feedback from anyone on whether they have had these problems but this post basically is to advise that if you are considering a 3.0 diesel, you're looking at problems. I know the way to go is to do a delete/tune on the truck but I can't afford to void the warranty and there also are legal considerations.

Your situation seems incredibly frustrating and I definitely understand your plight. However it does seem that taking the settlement money, doing a tune that can be taken in and out and quite likely having your truck drivable instead of in the shop so much might make you money ahead.
I certainly hope your case goes your way and you get resolution though.

David Mosby

Jan 25, 2016
Truck Year

At 60,000 my engine stopped. It was the first time in months where I had to use full throttle. Full story I posted today above.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year

It has been a minute since your post. If you still have the truck the tune is the answer. The EPA compliant Green Diesel Engineering program is what I have changed to from the earlier GDE tuned ECM which was not compliant. So much for that. The new program stores your OEM tune and then programs the new EPA compliant program which should take care of most of your issues. This allows you to reload your OEM tune before taking your truck to a dealer for warranty work, then reprogram the tune upon your return home. With that said your melted intakes are due to EGR Cooler failure which will be helped greatly by the EGR Cooler recall replacement, that along with the tune should net you the truck you thought you bought. A note that a good diesel tech at your dealer is indispensable.
Good luck.

bob1340

Jun 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hope I have no issues. Can't tune zilch in Kalifornia. GDE doesn't even let me look at a lot of content on thier website.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Hope I have no issues. Can't tune zilch in Kalifornia. GDE doesn't even let me look at a lot of content on thier website.
This is true, GDE explicitly states that their tune is EPA Compliant and is 49 state available. It appears that the existing EPA lawsuit to decertify California as able to issue and enforce standards more stringent than Federal standards will be dead in the water in January, your situation is now guaranteed to continue.
The second AEM tune was better than the first but was a little too drag race inspired for my tastes. Almost like they pegged the variable venturi turbo to only spool up after 2100 rpm. Just like the old style Cummins 290 Formula from the 1970's and 80's. Would snap your neck but was disconcerting in traffic and pulling my RV.
Maintenance is also pivotal to diesel good health. I use a fuel additive for lubrication, high pressure pump, and fuel system cleaning. I do oil analysis at each oil change to monitor for wear materials. Highway use is what the exhaust system is designed for, copied from Class 8 over the road trucks, allows the SCR and DPF to reach optimum temperature for designed operation. No long term idling, clogs the DPF.