• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

5w20 vs 15w20

...a child of God

Apr 15, 2024
Truck Year
Being a new POV diesel owner, Ive been wandering around YouTube and ecodiesel sites for general info. I came across a video where the guy said he has been using 15w20 since he fixed up the truck and has had no ill reactions to the thicker oil. He said he lives in the south and it never gets below 70 degrees.
Your thoughts?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
What is the gain over using Ram's recommended oil? I see no reason to deviate. And how does he know that the 15w-20 is giving "no ill reactions"? He won't know until he has a problem

...a child of God

Apr 15, 2024
Truck Year
Your first question...IDK, I merely posted what I read for discussion and to learn.
Your second question...one must assume that he had driven the vehicle prior to making the claim.
What is the gain over using Ram's recommended oil? I see no reason to deviate. And how does he know that the 15w-20 is giving "no ill reactions"? He won't know until he has a problem
Your first question...IDK, I merely posted what I read for discussion and to learn.
Your second question...one must assume that he had driven the vehicle prior to making the claim.

JD9560

Nov 15, 2022
Truck Year
I’m not claiming to be an expert on oil but Duh the recommended oil is 5W 40 and I believe once the engine is warmed up the 40 is what matters.
So how is 15W 20 thicker except at startup which is when you need it thin for quick lubrication

...a child of God

Apr 15, 2024
Truck Year
Youre right on what you said. But again, posted solely to generate a discussion. However, Im sensing a negative tone in this thread. :LOL:

SeanPwnery

Nov 30, 2022
Truck Year
I ran the newly recommended 5w40 and wasn't really happy with the oil pressure numbers I was seeing - though it never changed or deviated. I'm also aware the display of oil pressure is based on an algorithm, not an actual figure. I thought I'd try Rotella T6 15w40 this go round, since I live in south Texas where it's pretty hot most of the year, and in all honestly, I have seen zero change in the oil pressure numbers. As near as I can tell, there was no change, or benefit - and the costs were the same too.

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
I purchased my ecodiesel in Dec 2015, it is a 2015 model. Early on the mechanic at the dealer that does all the eco work told me to change oil at 7500 miles and replace the fuel filter also as U.S.A. fuel has asphaltine particles in the fuel. I did run some 15W40 for about 5000 miles when I couldn't get any 5W40, the only difference I noticed was my fuel mileage dropped approx. 5%. I have not had any sludge issues but oil in diesel engines is always very black when you drain it. It is a shame that the E.P.A. made them put an E.G.R. system on to sell this engine in the U.S. as that requirement created some issues for the engine.

StanRam2

Jul 6, 2023
Truck Year
Being a new POV diesel owner, Ive been wandering around YouTube and ecodiesel sites for general info. I came across a video where the guy said he has been using 15w20 since he fixed up the truck and has had no ill reactions to the thicker oil. He said he lives in the south and it never gets below 70 degrees.
Your thoughts?
5-40 Rotella T6 ONLY

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I've always used Ram's recommended Rotella T-6, 5w-40.

In April 2023 a member of another forum called VM Motori, the Ecodiesel manufacturer, he asked them what is the best oil for his Ecodiesel. They said: Synthetic European oil, MS-12991, 5w-40. MS-12991 is the important factor. So I have switched to Quaker State Euro Full Synthetic, 5W-40

There are two major oil companies for Synthetic European oil, MS-12991, 5w-40:
Quaker State Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 - 5-Quart 22.97 Walmart & Amazon
Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 - 5-Quart 26.44 Walmart & Amazon