• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Alternator not charging battery

caissiel

Aug 10, 2020
Truck Year
I had a dead battery one day and could not start. This happened after the battery light was on and the charging seam to operate at 13.5 Volts. To me there was no rush but the battery did discharge.
Code U0120 was found and I looked for bad connection to alternator
Located the problem at the Alternator Control connection, the wire was broken at the plug. also the wire ends had green ends telling me it was a long time failure. being in the 10F temperature I guess it left me with a bad battery.
I did repair the connection by using the failed one and a crimp connector. Its a one wire connector, so only one connection was much simpler to repair.
I did look everywhere for this connector and no way i could find any supplier, will check with dealer after covid lockdown.
Anyway my surprise is that a $60K truck is being controlled and operated with a 22Ga wire that is covered with heavy temp protection and left dangling down to be broken due to strain. I added a longer wire and did a loop not to load the connection.
Guess I just improved my truck to not fail again.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Does our changing system adjust charge rate based on temperature or does it charge at a flat rate? @TC Diesel

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Depends on Year, each Year the battery detection software gets More complex. So I really don't know.
What I do know is never add to any circuit, Start adding after market products like head lamp or tail lamp bulbs plus add lighting, New after market Radio and its only time before controls on the dash stop working, Either factory Auxiliary switches or add power distribution box like the one's Painless has.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Depends on Year, each Year the battery detection software gets More complex. So I really don't know.
What I do know is never add to any circuit, Start adding after market products like head lamp or tail lamp bulbs plus add lighting, New after market Radio and its only time before controls on the dash stop working, Either factory Auxiliary switches or add power distribution box like the one's Painless has.

That's good to know about the sensitivity. I'll for sure use auxiliary switches or a power distribution box. It's good thing we have you around, TC Diesel.