• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone else averaging 24mpg in the city and 34 on the highway?

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
So if been reading through a lot of older threads and I see many mention 24-27mpg on highway road trips. I have had my ram about 3 weeks now. I bought it used and it was tuned and deleted but I have no idea whos tune is on it as I bought it from a dealer who bought it at an auction. I am looking into lifting it 3" and puting 33" AT tires on it since it has the 31" stock tires now and sits very low IMO (I know this stuff is helping my mileage).

Last week I took a trip down to my camp to drop off a smoker and a bunch of rubber patio tiles. Driving to my camp consists of about 30 minutes on the thruway of speeds between 65 and 75 mph and 20 minutes of very hilly terrian at speeds between 30 and 55mph... rounds trip my fuel mileage just hit 34MPG as I was pulling down my street coming home after almost 2 hrs of driving. my overall mixed mileage has been right about 24mpg. I am happy but surprised at these numbers. Is this increase from the norm due to the delete and tune? it does also have a banks intake and straight 3" exhaust... I also have the 3.92 gears which I would have thought would hurt mpg a bit over the 3.55 optional gear ratio.. its also the long wheel base/6.4' bed crew cab 4wd model which is the heaviest I believe?

Attachments

• 20210831_155950.jpg
    20210831_155950.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 9

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Have you done a hand calculation on the mileage? My 17 is SFT stage 1tuned, I can squeeze 29 on a very good day, 22-23 the norm in mixed, and around 25 normally on the hiway, 3.92 gears stock tires & wheels. The mileage I've listed are all hand calculated because the EVIC numbers are always high to some degeree.

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
Have you done a hand calculation on the mileage? My 17 is SFT stage 1tuned, I can squeeze 29 on a very good day, 22-23 the norm in mixed, and around 25 normally on the hiway, 3.92 gears stock tires & wheels. The mileage I've listed are all hand calculated because the EVIC numbers are always high to some degeree.
Good to know. The other threads I've seen more or less stated the computer mpg numbers were very accurate and close to manually calculated on the gen 4 rams. I have not hand calculated it yet. So seeing these kinds of numbers from the computer is normal? I have verified the speedo is correct. And the tires are the stock size.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
The EVIC data is probably close, but only hand calculated is accurate. I've never seen those numbers with my 2016. I average 17-18mpg local and 22mpg highway @ 70mph, 20mpg @ 75mph. In 22,493 miles my average is 19.2 mpg.

What reduces my mpg? Leveled, no air dam, 10 ply Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 285x70-17 tires. Rancher Grill Guard, Lee shell, 600lbs of gear always in the bed. What keeps it from being worse? SFT tunes and fuel additives.

I realize that deleting will improve mpg but it's exactly what brought and brings down the wrath of the EPA. I will not delete, ever!

Ecoarcher

Oct 2, 2021
Truck Year
Not sure about US milage but I easily get 1200-1300km (32mpg US)per tank hwy mostly and about 1000-1100km city (26mpg US)

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
I'm lifting the truck and installing some used 34" tires next week. If I dont like it ill step it down to 33" tires. on a seperate note, Ive recently read the factory 33" SRA tires actually measure less than 32" in diameter not sure if thats true. I find that if im aggressive on the gas around town my mileage has dropped as low as 21mpg so huge difference depending on how conservative I am with the pedal.

Ive discovered the rear has a 4" drop kit and the front has 2" lowering struts so that likely plays a LOT into the high gas mileage numbers im getting. im lifting 2-2.5" or so above stock

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
well since the lift and installation of the 34" tires my general milaege has dropped considerably to about 17mpg... I am going to take advice given here to wait and give the trans time to "learn" ... but I may step down to lighter, smaller 33" tires down the road. as good as it looks right now I just cant justify such poor performance with looks. Those days are over apparently. Tire size has been correctly entered into the computer and speedo is correct as before.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I averaged 18 pulling my enclosed to jersey yesterday with 34’s. There is a way to change your shift clutch values in the trans to help it relearn

EARL99208

Jul 7, 2021
Truck Year
well since the lift and installation of the 34" tires my general milaege has dropped considerably to about 17mpg... I am going to take advice given here to wait and give the trans time to "learn" ... but I may step down to lighter, smaller 33" tires down the road. as good as it looks right now I just cant justify such poor performance with looks. Those days are over apparently. Tire size has been correctly entered into the computer and speedo is correct as before.
Although my truck isn't leveled or lifted, or even tuned I do have the 275/65r20 (34in) AT tire like you do and I'm getting 18-19mpg in town and 22-23mpg on the highway.
I'm hoping soon to get a stage 1 tune and bring those numbers up.

DownSouth

Aug 8, 2021
Truck Year
I found with my 2nd Gen and now my 3rd Gen that if you drive like you these like like you have an egg between your foot and accelerator, you'll get much better mileage.

My brother-in-law has a 3rd Gen he picked up two weeks ago and complained about the mileage...until I rode with him to go fishing. He owns and has been driving a 2008 Cummins since new, and was hammering his Eco like he always did with his Cummins. I explained the Cummins will take a hammering and keep on working but Eco will only pay you back with reduced mileage and a promise of premature failure. When we were coming back from fishing, he filled up and I asked if I could drive to show him what I mean. He averaged 23 mpg while driving to South Padre at 80 mph and I got 31 coming back simply by driving it normally at 70-75 mph (no jack rabbit starts, no mashing the pedal to the floor just to hear it roar, and simply driving like that egg under my foot would break).

Of course, he was shocked that his Eco could get that MPG with only 1100 miles on it but also made the statement "What fun is this if I own a diesel and can't peg it?" I just shook my head and recommended he give the Eco to my sister to drive (she drives like my dear departed grandmother) and he can keep running with his old diehard, built to be beaten up Cummins.

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
I found with my 2nd Gen and now my 3rd Gen that if you drive like you these like like you have an egg between your foot and accelerator, you'll get much better mileage.

My brother-in-law has a 3rd Gen he picked up two weeks ago and complained about the mileage...until I rode with him to go fishing. He owns and has been driving a 2008 Cummins since new, and was hammering his Eco like he always did with his Cummins. I explained the Cummins will take a hammering and keep on working but Eco will only pay you back with reduced mileage and a promise of premature failure. When we were coming back from fishing, he filled up and I asked if I could drive to show him what I mean. He averaged 23 mpg while driving to South Padre at 80 mph and I got 31 coming back simply by driving it normally at 70-75 mph (no jack rabbit starts, no mashing the pedal to the floor just to hear it roar, and simply driving like that egg under my foot would break).

Of course, he was shocked that his Eco could get that MPG with only 1100 miles on it but also made the statement "What fun is this if I own a diesel and can't peg it?" I just shook my head and recommended he give the Eco to my sister to drive (she drives like my dear departed grandmother) and he can keep running with his old diehard, built to be beaten up Cummins.
Thanks, Yes I am aware and agree this makes a huge difference... I drive it conservatively, hence the 24 city 34mpg thruway before the new tires and lift.
These tires I put on are used and 2 of them seem to have a roughness to them almost like they were starting to wear and develop a chop to them.. its not really visibly noticeable but you can feel it in the steering wheel im hoping they will wear evenly but doubt it. Now the big question is do I step down to 33's when I buy new tires or not. The 34" dont look large at all with the lift

Last edited:

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
I went from 35’s to a 34 and it didn’t impact mileage at all.
What was the weight difference between the 2 tires? Theres a decent difference in weight between a 270/70/18 tire and a 295/70/18 tire. I think I'll see some appreciable returns on the change but first I want to rule out any other issues or mistakes that may be contributing to my poor mileage. The camber for example doesn't look quite right to me despite taking the truck to Mavis for an alignment. And I'm getting a lot of vibration from these tires , even with 12oz of balancing beads in each tire. Seems like its one front tire in particular which may have a shifted belt or some other defect. The truck doesn't pull or anything but it feels like its in 4wd on dry pavement all the time.. maybe thats a side effect of these tires. I had 10 ply 35 Mastercraft mud tires on my old ram and they never felt like this.

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
On a plus note I installed flares last night ... I think they look good with all the black. I dont care for the completely blacked out look as it just seems cheap looking to me but theres just enough aluminum and chrome here I think where it looks good to me.

Attachments

• 20211025_100652.jpg
    20211025_100652.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 8

Moodyism

May 22, 2021
Truck Year
The EVIC data is probably close, but only hand calculated is accurate. I've never seen those numbers with my 2016. I average 17-18mpg local and 22mpg highway @ 70mph, 20mpg @ 75mph. In 22,493 miles my average is 19.2 mpg.

What reduces my mpg? Leveled, no air dam, 10 ply Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 285x70-17 tires. Rancher Grill Guard, Lee shell, 600lbs of gear always in the bed. What keeps it from being worse? SFT tunes and fuel additives.

I realize that deleting will improve mpg but it's exactly what brought and brings down the wrath of the EPA. I will not delete, ever!

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
This is what im getting right now 17 in city and 23 on highway... The thing is, my truck IS deleted with straight pipe and banks intake and I dont have 600lbs of gear in the back.

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year

Your other posts say you already have deleted and have a sofatune? you will need to delete all those if your worrying about someone tracking you down..