• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Blown engine!

Caveman

May 15, 2019
Truck Year
Hey guys , I had this issue too. Fri day i was going to work and noticed a knocking noise then turned around made it about 2km and truck just died. Got towed owner of garage notified me i need a new motor. warranty 100,000/5 year actual mileage 106,000/3 year. I had my last oil change done at Mr.lube brought by own T6 and bought their Mopar filter. i have done a few oil changes myself and have six out of seven oil receipts, and have my km's and date marked. General manager threw out a number around 15000$ for motor and replacement. Im wondering what i should do here? truck has gone through 2 alternators and been in shop over 7 times for DEF. I might add that my exhaust was starting to smell sweet the last couple of weeks. the kids said it smelt like yogurt. Maybe exhaust getting backed up ?

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Sorry to hear of your experience!
Were you watching your coolant level as prescribed by the egr recall? Sweet exhaust smell would most likely mean it was burning antifreeze, and if it was leaking internally it likely took out the engine.......

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I’ve noticed a sweet smell when mine is cold but no noticeable coolant loss over 2k miles... even with the egr tube missing but egr in place it occurs. Noticed my egr was replaced by previous owner, so I’m not sure if coolant in the exhaust is remaining or what.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
I’ve noticed a sweet smell when mine is cold but no noticeable coolant loss over 2k miles... even with the egr tube missing but egr in place it occurs. Noticed my egr was replaced by previous owner, so I’m not sure if coolant in the exhaust is remaining or what.
Ok, well I've certainly got anything but a sweet smelling exhaust when it's cold! It plain stinks so that it almost is offensive!

Edit the quote so it doesn't look like Tremper added my statement

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Ok, well I've certainly got anything but a sweet smelling exhaust when it's cold! It plain stinks so that it almost is offensive!

My ole lady’s son pointed out it smells kinda like pudding after I had the trucj for a year on a cold winter morning 😂 it doesn’t smell like I should huff it but it deff doesn’t smell like the 6.0 we have at work. Haven’t huffed the Izuzu exhaust yet I’ll do it tomorrow tho!

xpapax

Feb 25, 2020
Truck Year

Mine has a really odd smell when its Cold, I assume its the DEF because my dad's Duramax and brother inlaw's powerstroke (both pre DEF) dont smell like it at all. I would not use the word "sweet", im more with you on "offensive and stinky".

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Mine has a really odd smell when its Cold, I assume its the DEF because my dad's Duramax and brother inlaw's powerstroke (both pre DEF) dont smell like it at all. I would not use the word "sweet", im more with you on "offensive and stinky".
I stand to be corrected, but I dont think its DEF that you smell when cold, as DEF is used to neutralize the NOX that is produced when combustion temps are high. That's why EGR helps lower flame temps and reduces DEF use

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
I stand to be corrected, but I dont think its DEF that you smell when cold, as DEF is used to neutralize the NOX that is produced when combustion temps are high. That's why EGR helps lower flame temps and reduces DEF use
Till the truck turns into an ignited soot fireball!!!

xpapax

Feb 25, 2020
Truck Year

Odd. I'm curious now.

Could it be lack of DEF? Cold start frozen DEF?

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Odd. I'm curious now.

Could it be lack of DEF? Cold start frozen DEF?
Not sure either, but I'm sure FCA's "superb" programming has it burning up fuel in a way that stinks.
Would be interesting to do a side by side sniff test on tuned and stock settings