• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

BLOWN REPLACEMENT ENGINE

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2016 Ram Big Horn which I bought new with the 3.0 eco diesel. I've posted here many times with many problems. Last year at 70,000 miles the motor seized and it was replaced under warranty. They never told me anything about what the problem was nor did they give me any paperwork regarding the replaced engine. I walked out of the dealership with a standard one page service paper stating: "motor replaced under warranty". When I asked if there was more documentation I was told that was it.

Yesterday, the motor started to chatter and then stopped. Trail of oil and large pool of oil under oil pan. I'm guessing crankshaft/bearing failure. Undoubtedly, it will need the engine replaced again. The dealership will let me know once they look at it. There was only 28,000 miles on this replaced motor. I just had the truck in and had the engine oil and filter changed and the dealership did their standard inspection with no issues. Unbelievable that this engine is shot after 28,000 miles. I tow a small 14 foot boat a few times a year. The truck is pampered, no reason that a second motor should blow.

Questions:

Is the motor still under warranty? From everything I see, it should be. The truck is a a 2016 with 98,000 miles total (only 28,000 miles on the replaced motor which was replaced about 14 months ago).

FCA did not give me any info on the replaced motor. Was that a remanufactured motor or would it have been a new motor?

What generation motor would that replacement motor have been, 1st generation?

What is the most recent generation 3.0 eco diesel and does that motor continue to have problems?

Fortunately, the truck and motor are stock original with no modifications and all repairs and service have always been done at the Ram dealership.

Any information from the experts would be appreciated.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Others will chime in but I believe you should have 3 years/100,000 (?) miles on a replacement engine

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If it was repalce under the 5 Years 100K mile warranty and purchased in 2016 Your warranty ended at the 5 Year Mark. You now join the 1000+ of others on 3rd motor.

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
FCA is replacing the motor under warranty and the dealership provided me with a 2020 loaner vehicle until the work is done. No ETA but they are saying about 2-3 weeks. I was told the original replacement motor had a 3 year warranty on it which FCA is honoring (apparently this extends beyond the original 5 year 100.000 mile warranty). They did not specify the milage the motor had under the warranty, simply it had a 3 year warranty from when installed. I'm happy they are covering it under warranty and I did not have to take any further action. I will now be finding a new vehicle to replace it when the motor is replaced. No more 3.0 diesels. There are new vehicles out there but you have to act fast.

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
FCA has termed this a "Good will" replacement. I asked a few questions that FCA was hesitant to answer. For instance, did they replace the first motor when it was under warranty with a factory motor or a remanufactured? Under federal law you have certain rights in regard to whether a warranty motor is replaced with a factory motor or a rebuilt motor. Here in Michigan we also have state laws that apply.

FCA ultimately told me it was a remanufactured motor that they replaced the original motor with. There was only 27,460 on this replaced remanufactured motor before it blew.

If this were to get into a class action lawsuit, FCA would either have to buy these vehicles back or replace the motors with factory, not remanufactured motors. If you push FCA they will do what they term a "Good Will" replacement, which they replace the motor for free even though it is out of warranty technically. This scenario probably only applies if you had the original motor replaced while the truck was under warranty. Your dealership can be very helpful into getting FCA to do the replacement. Remember, FCA is not obligated to do this, but they understand there's a potential for a class action lawsuit on these 3.0 diesels and they'll try and run out the clock until the vehicles are no longer running on the road because of their age (ie. they rust out or because of age, are no longer road worthy).

FCA doesn't want to face what GM faced a few decades back with the side saddle gas tank issues so FCA will quietly replace the motor and will wait until these defective motors are aged out. I have no idea what the life expectancy of the newer 3.0 diesels are but if you got one in a truck that was from the first few years they produced them, get rid of the truck if your warranty is gone. You will have trouble with this motor at some point and there's a high probability you'll have to deal with major issues.

SOMD_ECO

Jun 25, 2020
Truck Year
FCA has termed this a "Good will" replacement. I asked a few questions that FCA was hesitant to answer. For instance, did they replace the first motor when it was under warranty with a factory motor or a remanufactured? Under federal law you have certain rights in regard to whether a warranty motor is replaced with a factory motor or a rebuilt motor. Here in Michigan we also have state laws that apply.

FCA ultimately told me it was a remanufactured motor that they replaced the original motor with. There was only 27,460 on this replaced remanufactured motor before it blew.

If this were to get into a class action lawsuit, FCA would either have to buy these vehicles back or replace the motors with factory, not remanufactured motors. If you push FCA they will do what they term a "Good Will" replacement, which they replace the motor for free even though it is out of warranty technically. This scenario probably only applies if you had the original motor replaced while the truck was under warranty. Your dealership can be very helpful into getting FCA to do the replacement. Remember, FCA is not obligated to do this, but they understand there's a potential for a class action lawsuit on these 3.0 diesels and they'll try and run out the clock until the vehicles are no longer running on the road because of their age (ie. they rust out or because of age, are no longer road worthy).

FCA doesn't want to face what GM faced a few decades back with the side saddle gas tank issues so FCA will quietly replace the motor and will wait until these defective motors are aged out. I have no idea what the life expectancy of the newer 3.0 diesels are but if you got one in a truck that was from the first few years they produced them, get rid of the truck if your warranty is gone. You will have trouble with this motor at some point and there's a high probability you'll have to deal with major issues.
Good to hear this if it is truly the case. I guess fixing them is cheaper than recalling or buying back.

Mar 28, 2022
Truck Year
I have a 2016 Ram Big Horn which I bought new with the 3.0 eco diesel. I've posted here many times with many problems. Last year at 70,000 miles the motor seized and it was replaced under warranty. They never told me anything about what the problem was nor did they give me any paperwork regarding the replaced engine. I walked out of the dealership with a standard one page service paper stating: "motor replaced under warranty". When I asked if there was more documentation I was told that was it.

Yesterday, the motor started to chatter and then stopped. Trail of oil and large pool of oil under oil pan. I'm guessing crankshaft/bearing failure. Undoubtedly, it will need the engine replaced again. The dealership will let me know once they look at it. There was only 28,000 miles on this replaced motor. I just had the truck in and had the engine oil and filter changed and the dealership did their standard inspection with no issues. Unbelievable that this engine is shot after 28,000 miles. I tow a small 14 foot boat a few times a year. The truck is pampered, no reason that a second motor should blow.

Questions:

Is the motor still under warranty? From everything I see, it should be. The truck is a a 2016 with 98,000 miles total (only 28,000 miles on the replaced motor which was replaced about 14 months ago).

FCA did not give me any info on the replaced motor. Was that a remanufactured motor or would it have been a new motor?

What generation motor would that replacement motor have been, 1st generation?

What is the most recent generation 3.0 eco diesel and does that motor continue to have problems?

Fortunately, the truck and motor are stock original with no modifications and all repairs and service have always been done at the Ram dealership.

Any information from the experts would be appreciated.
Y

Mar 28, 2022
Truck Year
You are lucky FCAis replacing it last yr I bought a 2018 eco diesel 1500.
I assumed was still under warranty come to find out the truck came from Canada and the paperwork was not transfered to USA BOUGHT it may..engine seized in Aug I have been almost a yr trying to get some kind of resolution while still making paymnts.ive read a lot of engine trouble here is there anykind of a mass action lawsuit over this engine? Would greatly appreciate any comments.
Cindy

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
You may want to contact an attorney in your state that specializes in Lemon law. In the U.S. even though your warranty may have expired, there still are claims that can be made under federal law. A Lemon Law attorney would be able to explain your rights ti you. FCA generally wants to resolve these cases to avoid a class action lawsuit so you do have some bargaining power on your side. The issue of the truck coming from Canada is a separate issue that you'll want to seek a legal opinion on.