• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Buy or stay away?

osusmokey

Feb 29, 2020
I have been following the forums recently to learn more about the ongoing FCA settlement and recall as I am in the market for a new (used) truck. Initially loved the look of the Eco Diesel, but now worried about their future.

Locally there is one just listed from a private seller. 2016 1500 Eco Diesel with 52,000. He is the original owner. Want some advice on if I should stay away from this series of trucks from RAM or if after the cooler recall is fixed would I be looking at an awesome rig. She would be a around town driver occasionally, but also would get HWY use with towing as well. He said it did have an EGR cooler issue last summer, but the dealer replaced and he has not had issues since.

Is the EGR delete and tune basically necessary on these trucks? If so I would need to factor that into his asking price of $26k.

Any specific questions I need to ask him or areas on the computer module, in the engine, etc; where I need to be looking for known issues?

Just wanted to get thoughts from the experienced people in this community.

Thanks!

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
I’d recommend deleting the truck, if you’re hearts set on the Eco. If this isn’t an option for you, maybe look at a few other diesel options.

As far as known issues...EGR cooler, Crankshaft Position Sensor, Air Suspension (if applicable), and fuel pump, to name a few. The more knowledgeable folks here will chime in soon enough. I’d argue you’d be hard pressed to find a diesel rig without issues. I love my Eco, since the delete.

osusmokey

Feb 29, 2020
UPDATE:
Went and checked out the vehicle and it seems in great shape. Very limited wear and tear. I was asking about the original AEM which he said had done during a scheduled service trip to the dealer last year. I was asking about the throttle lag and he agreed that he did notice that after the update, but after his most recent trip to the dealer he mentioned they ran an update on the software and he hasnt noticed it much since. I could not hardly tell during my test drive today. Im thinking he possibly got the updated flash to correct the AEM issues the last time at the dealer. The one thing I did notice was a little milky substance on the oil cap when the truck was cold, but after the test drive I looked again and the oil on the cap and dipstick looked normal color. Its the only thing that worries me knowing he admitted to the EGR cooler issue and replacement last year. With that knowledge is it already to late for this engine? Could I get it repaired under the lawsuit before deleting?

Im assuming the delete voids the extended warranty issued with the lawsuit, but will it even void the 5 yr 100,000 power train? Also what is the approx cost to do the delete?

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
UPDATE:
Went and checked out the vehicle and it seems in great shape. Very limited wear and tear. I was asking about the original AEM which he said had done during a scheduled service trip to the dealer last year. I was asking about the throttle lag and he agreed that he did notice that after the update, but after his most recent trip to the dealer he mentioned they ran an update on the software and he hasnt noticed it much since. I could not hardly tell during my test drive today. Im thinking he possibly got the updated flash to correct the AEM issues the last time at the dealer. The one thing I did notice was a little milky substance on the oil cap when the truck was cold, but after the test drive I looked again and the oil on the cap and dipstick looked normal color. Its the only thing that worries me knowing he admitted to the EGR cooler issue and replacement last year. With that knowledge is it already to late for this engine? Could I get it repaired under the lawsuit before deleting?

Im assuming the delete voids the extended warranty issued with the lawsuit, but will it even void the 5 yr 100,000 power train? Also what is the approx cost to do the delete?

You should be able to do a tune for less than $1000 bucks. If you don't want to lose all possibility of a warranty then a tune you can take in and out would be great. If you are going to do a full delete and remove all the parts it will cost more and be much harder to take in for any kind of warranty work. Read about Sofa King Tuning on this forum to make up your mind.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
The delete will render the truck illegal as it is illegal to remove or disable emission controls. If it's deleted and you live in an area that requires emission testing, it probably won't pass, tunes will void the warranty if the dealer finds it.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I've used this for Years.
Factory warranty Voided emissions

Maybe I can clear this UP, GM All makers Must meet the certification REQUIRED by Federal Law. The instant YOU delete / defeat ON/OFF road use (The only exception to this law is Race or off road competition) GM or your Dealer cannot (legally) even repair the Vehicle if it has State Plates.

Enforcement is the issue, Many times action is NOT taken when the warranty is voided, This is the parties involved discretion, MAKE NO mistake YOUR warranty is voided the instant you make defeat or delete steps to any component that’s needed to meet the certification.

Enforcement is the major part of any Law, if No enforcement then it’s a statement, if the parties involved decided to enforce the law it is now binding and absolute.

Your warranty cannot be Voided on all component's that have NO bridge or connection, Example NEW radio cannot void suspension components, but it sure can void ALL electronic communications. Enforcement is the key Part of any law or warranty. When disagreements arise, they are generally decided by arbitration or Judge.

This statement is close to 10 Years old.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Osusmonkey, its risky, but if you decide make sure you have access to $5-8,000.00 for Possible!!!! repairs during ownership. If you use it to Grocery Get W/O upgrading to parts missing will increase the risk FOR more repair costs.

The 3.0 does well in Hwy Use.